10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I have been to many of these shops in Hong Kong. They are really tiny and its very cramp in them. Hardly any space to walk and if there are others in the store its a real jam. No way they can stock 500, not even 100 unless they have some warehouse located in the northern territories close to the chinese border. Real estate in Hong Kong is very expensive

I thought the shop which claims to have 590 of each is located in Hong Kong... how in the world they have that many in hands and the shop it's in Hong Kong... crazy...

Sent from my SM-N915T using Brickpicker mobile app

There was a big argument a few years ago on the bricklink forum about a Hong Kong seller who had massive inventory listed. Everyone said it could not possibly be real and ultimately the store was suspended. Then a few of the senior members started coming forward saying they knew the guy and he was legit. The site asked the guy for photos of his inventory which he gladly posted. A large warehouse just full of lego to the roof. His store was reinstated very quickly lol. I remember the front row was just a sea of 10188 piled high to the roof. The seller also claimed to have a second warehouse. I don't see him listing insane amounts on bricklink anymore but surely there must be others like him.

I dont believe these HongKongs shops with hundreds sets:

1) Asia is underestimated market for lego, there is just 1 lego store (in Korea), limited options how to buy exclusives. No suprise that most of my customers buying from me are from Asia - they want everything - bonus holiday sets, Ideas, polybags, etc - all staff which can be bought just in lego store. Plus, the official prices for asian market are much bigger than in europe, so not easy for them to stock such quantity of sets in good prices. Where can they buy these hundreds of modulars? In official shop@home web site? No way - they are not able to delivery to countries, which dont have own lego shop web sites. From big shops in USA / Europe? And what about customs and tax issues for such amounts... I can buy sets from shop@home, where I have several accounts + in 2 local stores, but cannot imagine to buy 500 same sets. I have conflicts in a local store while buying 10 same sets, they remember me from prevous time, give me a limit 1-2 piece, etc. Now try to imagine somebody in Hongkong, who wants to buy such extremly quantity, no local lego store, no option for delivery from shop@home, limited amounts of exclusives in local toy stores and in high prices...

2) I was in HongKong last year and wanted to buy 2-3 maersk train from local BL stores (good prices for this staff) - i wrote an email to 2 shops that I can personally pick up the sets. No one answer me. It is very suspected. They can save packing + paying BL fees, but no reaction.

3) I cannot imagine how somebody can stock 500 emporiums, 500 fire brigades, etc, etc. It takes a LOT of space. It also took a lot of time to sell such quantity and lot of money to keep so many sets for several years. Its hard job for me to sell 10-20 big sets, I cannot imagine how to sell such quantity, there is no such big demand between new AFOLs... 500 pieces of same modular is more than have all classic toy stores in my country together!

These facts lead me to this conclusion - there is a risk that these shops dont have offering sets, at least no in such quantity. Maybe they have some of them, maybe they have fake sets, maybe they made some fake transactions and then close the shop and open another, I dont know. It is very interesting, that there are different shops in HongKong with very similar offer... I dont know...

I thought the shop which claims to have 590 of each is located in Hong Kong... how in the world they have that many in hands and the shop it's in Hong Kong... crazy...

Having been to Hong Kong (In's Point) 2 weeks ago, I was astounded to find out that these small reseller shops were selling LEGO sets at very competitive prices. This is coming from a guy who sources sets from the US.

One shop was selling the T1 for $105 all in which is well below the $120 + tax being sold in the US. They even had the Brick Bounty available for $100 already. SC for $108.

So it is possible that they may/may not have hundreds of copies of TH or any other set.