10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I don't understand the frenzy around this set.

I thought that considering the early EOL, this set would have reached such a value... on 2016.

I just hope the buyers are real buyers, who will open their sets as soon as they will receive it, not investors trying to reach the boat, even if it means reaching it with an helicopter.

I don't understand the frenzy around this set.

I thought that considering the early EOL, this set would have reached such a value... on 2016.

I think the fact that its ~2800 pieces helps a lot. You just can't get another modular building of this size so the value proposition is probably more palatable to buyers even at these higher prices.

• Like 1

I just hope the buyers are real buyers, who will open their sets as soon as they will receive it, not investors trying to reach the boat, even if it means reaching it with an helicopter.

It seems counter intuitive, but the buyer being an investor is the best possible scenario for every other investor. Supply has been reduced by 1 (and will stay reduced for at least another 20% bump where the buyer will break even), removes the cheapest supply off the pile, and reduces demand by 0.

• Like 1

It seems counter intuitive, but the buyer being an investor is the best possible scenario for every other investor. Supply has been reduced by 1 (and will stay reduced for at least another 20% bump where the buyer will break even), removes the cheapest supply off the pile, and reduces demand by 0.

I would say a collector who opens it up is the better scenario for investors.  1 less sealed box forever.

• Like 2

Until investors stop buying them.  Then the house of cards collapses.

The buyers of these sets are not as much investors as they are gamblers. This sets performance (and the reasons behind it), are truly unprecedented.

This is a rare instance where the high price (at least in the short term) is very vulnerable. The odds might be for its continued success (due to the continued hype), but there is a real risk of a meltdown (one like we have never seen before).

Edited by KShine

The buyers of these sets are not as much investors as they are gamblers. This sets performance (and the reasons behind it), are truly unprecedented.

This is a rare instance where the high price (at least in the short term) is very vulnerable. The odds might be for its continued success (due to the continued hype), but there is a real risk of a meltdown (one like we have never seen before).

I hope we don't have another 41999 LE Crawler on our hands. On the other hand, I don't think this set will ever drop below $400. There's about 2800 pieces and most are in the fairly-unique brown-orange color.

• Like 1

Of the ones I have sold so far, half were to resellers and have to genuine buyers. You can see that used prices are also very respectable so there is demand out there from real end users but it is clear that some of the surge can be put down to resellers who missed the boat.

We will see if growth is sustained over the summer.

So, the last weekend before Easter seems to be clearing out the lower priced units on this set and right now 500 USD and 400 euros are the starting prices (apart from a few stragglers on bricklink).

From here on in things should slow down, shouldn

Some sets are great investments post EOL.  I believe this is one of them.  It will be fun to hear Darin report back how his pile of $300-400 TH investments are performing in 1-2 years.  I think he will be very satisfied with that investment.

I originally thought he was daft but now I think he was deft.

• Like 3

Had a tempting offer of $400 CAN cash (that's approx. $30.98 US :taunt:) for my used TH.  But I turned it down...can't have a missing building, either sell my entire little modular collection or none at all.  Don't think I can pick up a new one for $500 now even if I wanted to.  Shouldn't have passed up on those few TH's I saw at retail in the fall :sorry:           

• Like 1