10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Exactly.

Not everybody can afford to put $800 (for example) on a $200 set.

So, let's speculate. Let's say that worldwide 1,000 guys (I'm absolutely clueless, it's to to explain my thoughts) can afford to buy this set more than $600.

The price is going higher and higher, but there are... 5,000 TH on stock. So once the fans have bought this set, what will happen to the guy with their 4,000 remaining sets ? Of course, some new guys would buy some, there will still be some demand, but not that uch considering the price and the number of sellers, so it would take a lot of time.

I would fear an offer higher than the demand (at that price), so this set could plateau at (let's say) $600 for a long time.

Considering that Lego could stop the modular line whenever (what if they do not want more modulars on 2020 ?), it would be a mistake to finally be stuck with these sets.

When it will plateau (maybe $600 / 500

Those who cannot afford a high priced collectible were priced out many months ago so I don't see that as being an issue going forward. At least for me there is no difference spending $500 or $2000 on a collectible. I either have the money to be wasteful or I do not. I don't see a price stall until much higher. Just MO.

• Like 3

$2000 - $500 = $1500

This is not "no" difference. :)

Let me put it this way - if you have $500 to blow on a toy then an extra $1500 is not going to be worth alot to you. I don't think I am unique with my budget of $10k-$20k per year for my personal toy collection. If I needed a Town Hall I would not baulk at paying $2k for it if that was the cheapest available. I think we are long past the point of Town Hall being bought by those scraping by financially.

• Like 3

Let me put it this way - if you have $500 to blow on a toy then an extra $1500 is not going to be worth alot to you. I don't think I am unique with my budget of $10k-$20k per year for my personal toy collection. If I needed a Town Hall I would not baulk at paying $2k for it if that was the cheapest available. I think we are long past the point of Town Hall being bought by those scraping by financially.

With a budget of $10k-$20k a year, I think you're in the top 5% of this community. Mine is around $2k, if that. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on you, just jealous.  :victory:

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 3

Let me put it this way - if you have $500 to blow on a toy then an extra $1500 is not going to be worth alot to you.

It is, when you are a lego fan who earn $2000 each month and have a family.

You can afford $500 for your passion but not $2000.

"I don't think I am unique with my budget of $10k-$20k per year for my personal toy collection."

=> What can I say ? Nothing I guess. lol

I think we are long past the point of Town Hall being bought by those scraping by financially.

As if TH was every bought by someone scraping by financially...

Let's be honest: exclusive Lego sets, especially modulars and UCS, are the realm of folks with a good amount of expendable income.

It is, when you are a lego fan who earn $2000 each month and have a family.

You can afford $500 for your passion but not $2000.

"I don't think I am unique with my budget of $10k-$20k per year for my personal toy collection."

=> What can I say ? Nothing I guess. lol

But that's the whole point. People making only $2k per month aren't the target market for buying town hall on the secondary market. The people who are likely to drop $600 on town hall are more likely to spend more and not care that much. This is just the gap between the wealthy and the poor.

• Like 1

As if TH was every bought by someone scraping by financially...

Let's be honest: exclusive Lego sets, especially modulars and UCS, are the realm of folks with a good amount of expendable income.

Man I wish I could find that picture of someone on here who was going after a Craigslist lot that had the Town Hall displayed on an ironing board.

• Like 2

But that's the whole point. People making only $2k per month aren't the target market for buying town hall on the secondary market. The people who are likely to drop $600 on town hall are more likely to spend more and not care that much. This is just the gap between the wealthy and the poor.

To expand on this, the people that make $2000 a month aren't likely to buy this set at RETAIL.  These consumers were never in the marketplace to begin with so we can't really count them as a 'potential lost customer'

I agree completely. I am very close in putting down  500

It sounds cocky, but it is very true.  I spent $2000.00 on a 3450 Statue of Liberty and custom 4000 piece base a few years back.  The prices for this combination now are close to $4000.00 and rising.  If new LEGO collectors that awaken from their "Dark Ages"  want a $1000.00 or $2000.00 set to feel complete, they will do it.  I speak from experience.  

• Like 2

I am one of those people, just bought two MSIB cafe corner off ebay in the last month. I am

Mainly a collector but I buy/sell Legos for fun. There will be others like me in the future with disposable income who will buy your expensive sets. Don't forget about rich foreign collectors/investors from South Korea and China and Russia also. As long as Lego group keeps making modulars, they will always attract new buyers and collectors especially those who missed the boat in the earlier modulars.

Brings back memories. My first year I really started collecting Lego I purchased UCS Falcon, Grand Carousel, Taj, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Market Street, and Cafe Corner when they were already retired and all for good money. A bargain compared to my old saltwater aquarium hobby.

• Like 1

Brings back memories. My first year I really started collecting Lego I purchased UCS Falcon, Grand Carousel, Taj, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Market Street, and Cafe Corner when they were already retired and all for good money. A bargain compared to my old saltwater aquarium hobby.

Yes, I have lost many $50 and $100 salt water fish in my lifetime.  I gave up a long time ago.  I used to have eight tanks in my parent's house.  Some fresh, some salt.  The "Live Rock" was my favorite.  You never knew what would pop out.  

It sounds cocky, but it is very true. I spent $2000.00 on a 3450 Statue of Liberty and custom 4000 piece base a few years back. The prices for this combination now are close to $4000.00 and rising. If new LEGO collectors that awaken from their "Dark Ages" want a $1000.00 or $2000.00 set to feel complete, they will do it. I speak from experience.

This is so true. Specific people who really want sets to build. Additionally, some of the money spending pain can be removed if anyone wanted / needed a Town Hall 3 years from now and the price was over $1,000. We can always sell something to help purchase it and you also view it was an investment.

I was able to post build threads with 10196, 10181 10194 and 10179 using money earned from selling other set. That really took the sting out of the overall purchase price. At the same time, I consider these as my "conservative" investments. Sure, they won't grow 50%-125 % annually for the initial 2-3 years after retirement but at least 10%-20% growth is still achievable and demand is still high in-case I ever need to sell. However, best of all is I get to build these AWESOME sets I missed during my Dark Age.

I would also def say recently retired sets like 10221 SSD, 10224 Town Hall, 10225 r2, 10226 Sopwith Camel and 10228 Haunted House are among the batch of 'newer' sets that AFOLs will look for after their Dark Age are done. Plus like other sets mentioned in recent posts here, we shouldn't need to worry about refreshes for a while.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...