10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

Town Hall is not a set to dump for a quick bit of profit. The rarity of this set will ensure than in a few years time it's one of the major players.

You know it and I know it, but this is not a game for those with weak stomachs. LOL. There won't be too many gifts from LEGO like the Town Hall in the future.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ciglione said:

No... not really. But this set MISB seems less scarce as I expected it would be. HH seems more rare. 

When I look at the dutch Craig's List there are many listings and the price is dropping due to these listings cause people are undercutting eachother. Sales are slow as well. With Xmas approaching I expected more demand and at least a slight increase in price. 

No... I am sorry. I guess I did not get the memo.

What does the article say exactly?

@Ciglione With the Dutch Craig's List ... you mean Marktplaats, right?

11 minutes ago, Haay said:

Did you know that Marktplaats.nl was bought by eBay because they couldn't get eBay Netherlands to compete effectively with Marktplaats? :P 

Standard practice: if you can't compete with them on their home turf, just buy them. :D 

Yeah... that is common knowledge. 

But you must also have noticed the increase of listings for TH. Right?

First Xmas after retirement. I think the price is going good. Is perfectly sellable for 450€. That is more than 3 times what we initially paid for it. People notice this and decide it is  good enough for them, so they dump them. So yes, it is logical there are more listings.

Is the HH rarer? Maybe. Again in the case for the price we paid for it, it is now sellable at +-2.3-2.4 times what we paid for it. I think people are just more patient for selling HH. I know I am.

Waiting is not fun so many will dump this set early and move on to PS, Red 5, ToO, DS etc. No risk of hundreds of offers for TH, while it is guaranteed for the 2015 sets. Changing market conditions and changing production policy has added a ton of value to the already retired sets. Once the number of offers dips below that critical point you are going to see $100 jumps quite quickly on this set IMO. I don;t believe we are too far from that tipping point and this time next year things will look alot more interesting.

• Like 5

I'm agree with the old member's position for the other exclusives sets but for TH not. In Europe investissors could buy it for 150€. One year after you can easily sell it for 450€ so the triple.

Is somebody here can believe this set will be at 900€ the next year (X2 is my point of view)? I don't, it 'll be close to 700€

For me, sell it now and buy an other set who can do X2 in a year is more profitable than stay on my TH.

12 minutes ago, Crustybeaver said:

Lets elaborate on that "sell it now and buy another set who can do X2 in a year". Maybe if you had an insight into retiring sets or were just plain psychic I would say this is a perfect philosophy, however you're point is flawed.

Maybe it's easyier when you're not a big investor because with only 5 copy of each set you can jump on it when the signs are there, so no wait on you're pile ;-)

I think there should be an upturn in interest in this set in January when the new modular comes out - the range has been sleeping since DO came out. However, I have been listing these for sale on and off since the very beginning and have moved the price point up from  250-500 euros and now back down again to 460-475 euros. Happy to sell the below RRP ones at that price and leave the full cost ones as longer term investments.

I´ll probably jettison the PS´s sooner rather than later, though.

Edited by valenciaeric

41 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I think there should be an upturn in interest in this set in January when the new modular comes out - the range has been sleeping since DO came out. However, I have been listing these for sale on and off since the very beginning and have moved the price point up from  250-500 euros and now back down again to 460-475 euros. Happy to sell the below RRP ones at that price and leave the full cost ones as longer term investments.

I´ll probably jettison the PS´s sooner rather than later, though.

Funny... I work the other way around. I sell the RRP ones first. Then the cheaper ones.

17 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

I feel like now is an appropriate time to confess that I find this forum such a chore to follow these days because of the high quantity of low quality or flat out off topic remarks posted by some people...

The mods have backed off a lot to see where things go.  Some of the stuff that was just removed sure was not needed but every post can't be a winner.  But besides those posts, the topic has been steady and on topic.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

Also, you have the ability to Ignore Users.  Look under your forum settings area.  If there are people you don't care to see their posts, that should help filter out that stuff you don't care to see.

"ignore users" is a powerful tool and makes sense at times to use it.

also agreed with the vast majority of recent posts were thought provoking and informative.  some folks just got bored since not much is going on with 10224 TH except  price appreciation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

"ignore users" is a powerful tool and makes sense at times to use it.

also agreed with the vast majority of recent posts were thought provoking and informative.  some folks just got bored since not much is going on with 10224 TH except  price appreciation.

I don't find price appreciation boring in the slightest! Stagnation, perhaps...

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, bricketycricket said:

I feel like now is an appropriate time to confess that I find this forum such a chore to follow these days because of the high quantity of low quality or flat out off topic remarks posted by some people...

You can always put me on ignore if it so much of a chore...

16 minutes ago, Veegs said:

I don't find price appreciation boring in the slightest! Stagnation, perhaps...

Bricklink stats show that this set has been in stagnation since May (as have 10197 and 10211) and also that there are roughly double the number of sets listed now as then. As a buyer, if you see that prices are falling as people undercut one another you will hold off from making your purchase as long as possible - sellers get more nervous and the price goes down.

Compare this with SSD and R2 which have both grown steadily during the same period and now have much fewer listings - perhaps the anticipation of the new film is giving them a kick in the pants and there is more to come. If the modulars don´t regain upward momentum after Xmas it is not a good sign of things to come.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 2