10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

In my opinion...Of all the retired sets in recent years, only 3 have a chance to get near $1k : 10224 TH, 10221 SSD, & 10228 HH. Thus if someone missed the boat, I can understand them buying at 2x MSRP despite the opportunity cost.

After reading this I looked at the bottom shelf in my closet and got a warm fuzzy feeling (bottom shelf is nothing but those three)

Yes, I am one of those completist for a modular MSIB set, I am only missing CC and the values have skyrocketed in just the last month.  Just a few months ago, I could have purchased a sealed CC for about 1600-1800 (didn't have money then).  Now, they are just above 2000.  Forget about 100% complete CC with box and manuals, usually snapped up as it is listed.  I think all the speculation about TH rising has definitely bumped up prices of the other retired modular sets.

TH is the largest modular in the most collectible theme. It is the least collected and least hoarded of the entire line. If you missed the boat you try to console yourself by saying the golden age of reselling is over and there is no way it repeats the performances of GG. If you stocked up you relax and watch the price tick up $100 per month. 

IMHO, TH is the 2nd least desirable modular (MS being the first).  That doesn't mean TH is bad; it only points out how great this whole series has been, and how it's evolved over the last few years.  The latest iterations - especially PR and DO - are just stellar.  Not only are they unique, fun architectural designs with novel building techniques; the interior and story-telling aspect just gets better and better.  All of this is great news.  New AFOLs can't help by get smitten with a build like PS, PC, or the aforementionned DO and PR.  This will ensure a strong demand for the older sets.

This series has endless future possibility.  Schools, hospitals, museums, police stations, hardware store, you name it.  I can't wait to see what they bring out for 2016; I'm hoping we'll see the IDEAS Natural History Museum approved.

Edited by diablo2112

I sure hope they can figure out a way to do some sort of train/bus station. Makes perfect sense to bring the two worlds (trains/modulars) together but it seems impossible on a 32x32 plate. 

A giant trainstation actually would be pretty great *****

But it would have to be SOH sized (and I'm not talking about the small one ^.^)... so I don't think that we will see anything like that.

It's still early but I am already willing to crown this as the worst post we'll see on these boards today.

I don't know ^.^ But I really find it hilarious myself *****

"it's expected TLC will release another and probably better..."

Don't know who is expecting that... As for me I wouldn't anticipate one for the next couple of years because it does not add up.

I got 1.000.000 of these and once I've sold them all I'll be a millionair (once again!)

(okay maybe I've slightly miscounted the ones I really have...)

Edited by Locutus001

I have some SSD's, FB's, GE's, R2's, R5's, etc. (or you can insert whatever for your library)

I have TH's.  I find it interesting that personally I find the TH the least interesting of all of these sets and don't really care to have or build one.

Financially?  If I could only keep inventory of one thing and had to sell the rest today it would be keep the TH's.

Lesson learned about how once I hit my goal quantity I kept flipping any extra TH's I got for a few quick bucks.

Sure it helped out and I am happy I am at my goal quantity but if I would have only kept the extras.

What set you desire personally and what set makes the most money for you can be two very different things.

• Like 1

You guys probably have too much time on your hands discussing this way. This is an investing site. So when you look at the TH as investment it is pure gold! That's all that counts. And if you do not like it? Better! So you won't have any problems letting it go at $800 a piece coming Xmas. 

• Like 3

$800 by this Christmas would be nice.  not sure though.  It's currently selling for $430-$480 plus postage if you eliminate the Dec to early Jan outliers.

You guys probably have too much time on your hands discussing this way. This is an investing site. So when you look at the TH as investment it is pure gold! That's all that counts. And if you do not like it? Better! So you won't have any problems letting it go at $800 a piece coming Xmas. 

Guess it depends on how many  hoarded and so far unlisted ones come onto the market and when it gets official retired product status. Interested to see if there is another whoosh when the sale price sticker is replaced for retired product.

Edited by valenciaeric

its all good, i just managed to buy 2 from Australia for 351$ each... I hope the shipping isn't too bad!.....(look at ebay Australia bros there seems to be a massive Town Hall find or something.)

I think you'll be looking at about US$80 for shipping... keep us posted though.

• Like 1