What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 6 years later...
17 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

For some that are inexperienced, what is the reasoning behind someone picking more expensive listings? Reasons I can think of

1. Feedback level

2 Shipping speed

3. Better looking pictures???

4. Better placement on Ebay's search list

5. Laziness

6. Stupidity

• Like 2

lose a few bucks to qualify for holiday shipping is goos strategy. I'm leaving for Hawaii next weekend so missing two weeks of selling time.

btw hotel, rental car and entertainment all paid for with Lego profits. tickets only thing out of pocket. I'll be newb if it makes anyone happy

If you sold for $1 more, could you have bought the tickets too?

I'm pretty certain if you undercutted consistently, you could've charged $1 more and been fine on a lot of sales.

I understand though. Some people want to maximize profit. Some want to reinvest as quickly as possible. Faster turn around, more money to be made is the theory. But as with most things, optimal is somewhere in between.

Sometimes when I sell something really quickly, I feel like I priced it too low. I used to celebrate, "I sold it!" But now I'm like, "I'd be willing to wait another month to gain 30% more profit." And to clarify, I'm not talking just $1 more.

Just made my 25th sale on Amazon for this season. Sold...

FBM

2 x 21003

Seattle Space Needle

1 x 21107

MC Microworld The End

2 x 21110

Research Institute

2 x 40125

Santa's Visit

1 x 40203

Halloween Vampire

1 x 60017

Flat Bed Truck

1 x 70804

LM Icecream Machine

1 x 70818

Double Decker Couch

1 x 76006

Iron Man Extremis

2 x 76014

Spider Trike

2 x 76017

Cap. America vs. Hydra

1 x 71040

Disney Castle

FBA

3 x 21118

MC The Mine

3 x 60035

Artic Outpost

1 x 70795

Bionicle MM vs. SG

1 x 75020

Jabba's Barge

Avg. buy-in was 33% off, Avg profit was 43%, Avg hold time 50 weeks

Guest TabbyBoy

Still shifting some deadwood...

20x Friends Brick Calendars (2x factory boxes) for £250 cash - bought for £103.80

30x Chima Character Sets in bubble-pack (5x factory boxes) for £225 cash - bought for £128.70

10x Friend Pet Salons for £100 cash - bought for £120 (£20 loss!)

8x Comanche Camps (1x factory box) for £90 cash - bought for £79.92

As long as I make something on the job lot that I want to get rid of.... out of the door it goes!

Edited by TabbyBoy

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Still shifting some deadwood...

20x Friends Brick Calendars (2x factory boxes) for £250 cash - bought for £103.80

30x Chima Character Sets in bubble-pack (5x factory boxes) for £225 cash - bought for £128.70

10x Friend Pet Salons for £100 cash - bought for £120 (£20 loss!)

8x Comanche Camps (1x factory box) for £90 cash - bought for £79.92

As long as I make something on the job lot that I want to get rid of.... out of the door it goes!

Ouch, those are some real stubborn stains to remove.

Got rid of my penultimate DS - I will keep the last one as I feel this set will get a second wind down the line once panic has reduced the number available.

Just now, Val-E said:

Ouch, those are some real stubborn stains to remove.

Got rid of my penultimate DS - I will keep the last one as I feel this set will get a second wind down the line once panic has reduced the number available.

What are you up to, you trying to confuse us all, that sounded vaguely positive. Quit that will you, I'm confused enough picking what sets to buy today without you showing signs of positivity, wrecking my head.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

What are you up to, you trying to confuse us all, that sounded vaguely positive. Quit that will you, I'm confused enough picking what sets to buy today without you showing signs of positivity, wrecking my head.

Since prices came down, 10188 has been doing really well and while it stays cheaper or the same price as the new one, there will be high demand.

I have been lucky to turn a decent profit on all of mine so far and the listings are getting loads of views, so it´s by no means the apocalypse. Wish I could the same for all the Chima and Ninjago I have that no one is interested in.

On what to buy today, there is a set that may retire soon and few people are mentioning, which can be used to get a London Bus for minimal outlay.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, donbee said:

If you sold for $1 more, could you have bought the tickets too?

I'm pretty certain if you undercutted consistently, you could've charged $1 more and been fine on a lot of sales.

I understand though. Some people want to maximize profit. Some want to reinvest as quickly as possible. Faster turn around, more money to be made is the theory. But as with most things, optimal is somewhere in between.

Sometimes when I sell something really quickly, I feel like I priced it too low. I used to celebrate, "I sold it!" But now I'm like, "I'd be willing to wait another month to gain 30% more profit." And to clarify, I'm not talking just $1 more.

Do you even sell on amazon, donbee?  Sounds like you just QFLL on bricklink, and craigslist, which IMO is more of a newbie move.

I also undercut on amazon on september 1st - October 31st until I get to my 25.  I mostly use minifigures, mixels, and sets that are stagnating and need to be cleared out to conserve space (sets like Jabba's sail barge fit here) so I can add stock of better sets that I think have greater potential.  I sometimes lose about 25.00 to 30.00 on the process from what I bought in, but I see that just as a simple "get in the door fee", so I can get into the holiday selling period, where i'll blow out about 15 to 20 sets in december, and make a few grand off of it.  The profit will pay off my christmas making my wife happy.  So, everyone's strategy is different, but I definitely would not consider anyone that does that at this time of year any sort of "newbie".  .. and no way is justapilgrim a newbie.  If anything, I think you could learn from him.  These two months are definitely the time to undercut to "get in".  A newbie might not understand why some do it, but it's definitely a decent strategy if you look at what amazon brings to the table during the november - december sales period.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

No need to undercut if you already offer the best price in the house.  $.25 profit per set or bust !!!! :victory: 

Now, if I were promoting undercutting At-At's by 100.00 to make sure they would instantly sell so that I can get my buy-in money back and rack up a sale to get closer to 25, that would be a newbie move with haphazard strategery!

Do you even sell on amazon, donbee?  Sounds like you just QFLL on bricklink, and craigslist, which IMO is more of a newbie move.

I also undercut on amazon on september 1st - October 31st until I get to my 25.  I mostly use minifigures, mixels, and sets that are stagnating and need to be cleared out to conserve space (sets like Jabba's sail barge fit here) so I can add stock of better sets that I think have greater potential.  I sometimes lose about 25.00 to 30.00 on the process from what I bought in, but I see that just as a simple "get in the door fee", so I can get into the holiday selling period, where i'll blow out about 15 to 20 sets in december, and make a few grand off of it.  The profit will pay off my christmas making my wife happy.  So, everyone's strategy is different, but I definitely would not consider anyone that does that at this time of year any sort of "newbie".  .. and no way is justapilgrim a newbie.  If anything, I think you could learn from him.  These two months are definitely the time to undercut to "get in".  A newbie might not understand why some do it, but it's definitely a decent strategy if you look at what amazon brings to the table during the november - december sales period.

No, I don't sell on Amazon.

I actually wrote a nice response about the differences between BL, eBay and Amazon. And I acknowledged that Amazon is a different beast all together. And one that I don't have much experience with, and now am shut out from.

But then the severs went down last night. And my commentary was lost. And I've been too lazy to rewrite.

I am certainly a newb. And am trying to share my newb experiences with another newb. But I also want to acknowledge that there is wisdom in what these veterans say about not undercutting. Or rather, undercutting is not a viable, long term strategy. It has its opportunities. Like this 25 thing I keep reading about. I can see justification for that. But there's still a wise way to undercut, and a dumb way.

Edit::

I just read the "do not retaliate post"

I hope this doesn't count as retaliation. Just clarification.

I have simply been trying to agree with what, I think,@exciter1 said, "don't under cut, match the lowest price."

I have confessed to undercutting. I have been selling on eBay and BL and BOwl and CL since February. And I think I'm just now getting the hang of BL. So I'm still a newb. And maybe this is another newb mistake, but I just don't see how undercutting is a wise, long-term strategy. And this is coming from a guy who specializes on QFLLing stuff he gets from legoland.

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Calling someone out as a newbie is a newbie move.

Stop the name calling.@fossilrock and and@donbee keep it civil, no retaliation. Warning issued.

His first post on Brickpicker was in january of this year, and he even started by saying he was a newbie.  I'm not trying to be hostile towards him, but I know that justapilgrim is definitely not a newbie, and has been in the game for a while, and I agree with his "undercutting strategy" that he has been joking about over the last month to the disdain of others.  Those of us FBM amazon guys have to resort to a new strategy this time of year to play in the reindeer games.  I really do think it's that simple. 

• Like 1

Undercutting on Amazon can be necessary if you want to move inventory and not incur storage fees for FBA.  Some sets have really low sales volume even if you are the lowest FBA price and take time to sell.  Also, when you see someone like Chowren Toys in front of you on the Prime sellers page you know it could be a while before their stock sells through.  I generally don't send anything to Amazon unless I am ready to sell at the current FBA prices.  There is obviously an uptick in sales and generally prices (depending on inventory levels) in November and December but it is not always guaranteed.  

Edited by zskid00

8 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

His first post on Brickpicker was in january of this year, and he even started by saying he was a newbie.  I'm not trying to be hostile towards him, but I know that justapilgrim is definitely not a newbie, and has been in the game for a while, and I agree with his "undercutting strategy" that he has been joking about over the last month to the disdain of others.  Those of us FBM amazon guys have to resort to a new strategy this time of year to play in the reindeer games.  I really do think it's that simple. 

OK, yes, FBM sellers undercutting the Prime listings, I can understand that.

The Prime sellers who undercut by $.01 or $.25 with autopricers and such drive me nuts though.  You're not helping and you will still sell at almost the same volume if you just match lowest Prime prices.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

OK, yes, FBM sellers undercutting the Prime listings, I can understand that.

The Prime sellers who undercut by $.01 or $.25 with autopricers and such drive me nuts though.  You're not helping and you will still sell at almost the same volume if you just match lowest Prime prices.

If I was not too lazy, I'd write and sell those autopricer scripts myself.  That's where the real money is on Amazon :P

• Like 4

I've only made a few Amazon sales over the last year (started reselling just a few months before @donbee did) and considered the undercutting game for the "sell 25 items" period. Then I saw that the sets that I had tentatively earmarked for this undercutting were already undercut to the max (this was early Sep) and I was like "you know what, I'll sell what I have on EBay, it ain't much anyways, and perhaps move a few items to FBA over the holidays"). There's always another year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I've only made a few Amazon sales over the last year (started reselling just a few months before @donbee did) and considered the undercutting game for the "sell 25 items" period. Then I saw that the sets that I had tentatively earmarked for this undercutting were already undercut to the max (this was early Sep) and I was like "you know what, I'll sell what I have on EBay, it ain't much anyways, and perhaps move a few items to FBA over the holidays"). There's always another year.

I guess it comes down to what you have in your inventory.  I'm still sitting on MIB sets that that are from 2011 to 2013 and many of them are up to 3x, and in some cases nearing 4x what I paid for them... to me this is becoming the prime time to sell quite a few of them.  That's why I don't mind blowing out slacking sets or minifigures by undercutting, even at a slight loss to rack up my 25 and be in the holiday selling game to sell these sets.  Many architecture sets for example move nicely during the holiday season but during the rest of the year just sit idle without many people buying them at higher prices.  If I strictly had sets that retired last year i'd probably not be bothered by this, in fact next year i'm going to be out of Minifigures, because i'm liquidating my stock, so i'll need a new strategy for next year.  But architecture is one theme that moves very nicely from around black friday into mid december.  And of course, Star Wars will have the new movie coming out right around then. Last year, Star Wars sets were rising in value during the Force Awakens period.  It was actually a great time to sell..  I'd expect the same this year, before things fall off come january.  Unless, Trump has already nuked half the world, then undercutting everything and converting that money into an underground bunker with a years supply of MRE's would probably be a good strategy for the present.

I just need two more sales and i'm in.  So, barring some catastrophe, I should get in...

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Alcohol. I've been there clicking away when I shouldn't have been.

I agree. I was out on a bender a couple of years ago and was very click-happy with Asda/George when I got home. I bought a silly amount of sets and luckily I had buyer's remorse the next day and didn't collect the items. I emailed Asda and told them "I'm travelling with work and won't be able to collect for 2-3 weeks, can you please issue a refund, thanks!" If I went ahead and collected the order, I have lost £££s even today! I've since ordered with them when sober (a big hit last week) and there's been no problems.

If I come home after a good drink, I don't turn on the iMac or iPad!