What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 6 years later...
40 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Alcohol. I've been there clicking away when I shouldn't have been.

33 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I agree. I was out on a bender a couple of years ago and was very click-happy with Asda/George when I got home. I bought a silly amount of sets and luckily I had buyer's remorse the next day and didn't collect the items. I emailed Asda and told them "I'm travelling with work and won't be able to collect for 2-3 weeks, can you please issue a refund, thanks!" If I went ahead and collected the order, I have lost £££s even today! I've since ordered with them when sober (a big hit last week) and there's been no problems.

If I come home after a good drink, I don't turn on the iMac or iPad!

It always seems like a great idea when you've been chugging away on hard ales.....

I usually end up commenting here or on Spacebook. Someone almost always get offended. I think it was "power functions wanted list" that i last hit here. 

4 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Do you even sell on amazon, donbee?  Sounds like you just QFLL on bricklink, and craigslist, which IMO is more of a newbie move.

I also undercut on amazon on september 1st - October 31st until I get to my 25.  I mostly use minifigures, mixels, and sets that are stagnating and need to be cleared out to conserve space (sets like Jabba's sail barge fit here) so I can add stock of better sets that I think have greater potential.  I sometimes lose about 25.00 to 30.00 on the process from what I bought in, but I see that just as a simple "get in the door fee", so I can get into the holiday selling period, where i'll blow out about 15 to 20 sets in december, and make a few grand off of it.  The profit will pay off my christmas making my wife happy.  So, everyone's strategy is different, but I definitely would not consider anyone that does that at this time of year any sort of "newbie".  .. and no way is justapilgrim a newbie.  If anything, I think you could learn from him.  These two months are definitely the time to undercut to "get in".  A newbie might not understand why some do it, but it's definitely a decent strategy if you look at what amazon brings to the table during the november - december sales period.

Is selling 15-20 sets in December considered "average" or "good" around here? Genuinely curious because I thought I was doing pretty terrible compared to a lot of people here but I routinely sell through about 200-300 sets per month from November through January every year on Amazon. I don't really know much about LEGO so I've been combing through the forums trying to learn but it's difficult because I can't really tell who is doing this as a hobby and who is doing this more like a business, or what the general expectations of people here are. What's a typical sales volume for the average user of this website? Or a typical purchase amount of a set? I know there are some people on here that will hoard dozens of each set but it sounds like the average user probably only has 1-2.

Just trying to get a feel for the average level of investment among users here.

56 minutes ago, Serejai said:

Is selling 15-20 sets in December considered "average" or "good" around here? Genuinely curious because I thought I was doing pretty terrible compared to a lot of people here but I routinely sell through about 200-300 sets per month from November through January every year on Amazon. I don't really know much about LEGO so I've been combing through the forums trying to learn but it's difficult because I can't really tell who is doing this as a hobby and who is doing this more like a business, or what the general expectations of people here are. What's a typical sales volume for the average user of this website? Or a typical purchase amount of a set? I know there are some people on here that will hoard dozens of each set but it sounds like the average user probably only has 1-2.

Just trying to get a feel for the average level of investment among users here.

I'm definitely not a large player compared to most on here.  I'm more of that sector that is a hobbyist that uses the profits to pay for the collection, and while i'll sell throughout the year, I try and sell those sets that I think are at their height in terms of monetary potential in December when demand tends to spike.  Like I said, this year, i'm planning on moving mostly architecture and star wars sets that retired around 2011 to 2013..  But, I think what it comes down to is quantity vs quality.  I try not to accumulate 500 sets, that I'm just holding so that I can make 5.00 to 10.00 each off them.  To me that is a lot of work, and time that I don't have.  I try to accumulate less sets, but spend my time thinking about sets I think will make the most after 2 to 3 years after retirment.. Sometime you win, sometimes you lose. 

This year, i'm ramping down.  Once, I blow stock out,  I don't know if i'm going to reinvest the profits like previous years because i'm not so set in the future of this as a money maker where it's worth the effort.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Serejai said:

...I thought I was doing pretty terrible ...but I routinely sell through about 200-300 sets per month from November through January .... I don't really know much about LEGO so ... Just trying to get a feel for the average level of investment among users here.

You sell 500 to 900 sets in the Christmas season and you "...don't really know much about LEGO.." ??? I think you know more than most ! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

You sell 500 to 900 sets in the Christmas season and you "...don't really know much about LEGO.." ??? I think you know more than most ! ;)

I really don't. There's a big difference between selling sets and understanding the market. What I'm here to learn is how to predict future markets, as I want to start investing a bit more for long-term. Anyone can buy sets for 30% off and resell them at MRP, but I don't really know how to predict which sets to invest in for long-term gains.

• Like 1

Sold 21118 The Mine for $142 free shipping. Buy in at 55% off from B&N back in June. These have really started to take off. Hope I didn't sell too soon. Better than QF'ing back in June for $15 profit.

Yes, tested the water last week and sold one for ~144 with free shipping.
  • Like 1

Yes, tested the water last week and sold one for ~144 with free shipping.

Yea, I sold one for $135 free shipping back in August in less than a week after posting on EBay. An example of the seller's remorse I was talking about earlier. I could've listed it for more or held a little longer to maximize profit.
Luckily I have a second one. Hope to get $150 with shipping for it.

Yea, I sold one for $135 free shipping back in August in less than a week after posting on EBay. An example of the seller's remorse I was talking about earlier. I could've listed it for more or held a little longer to maximize profit.
Luckily I have a second one. Hope to get $150 with shipping for it.

Sold a mine for 159.95 + sh. Be patient.
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Lol. That's why this topic is so relevant. I dismissed this set as a (maybe) 2017 Christmas sale. It might be a 2016 Christmas sale. It's actually a bit shocking considering how many of these were gobbled up at BN

I bought every one I could find at Wal-Marts during clearance. I don't have B&N, but I probably would have bought those too.

9 hours ago, wolvergeek said:

Sold 21118 The Mine for $142 free shipping. Buy in at 55% off from B&N back in June. These have really started to take off. Hope I didn't sell too soon. Better than QF'ing back in June for $15 profit.

I sold a few at 145 on ebay a few days ago. I checked earlier today and noticed many had been added in the 100-125 range :( hopefully they will go quickly and back up to  around 150.

• Like 2

I sold a few at 145 on ebay a few days ago. I checked earlier today and noticed many had been added in the 100-125 range  hopefully they will go quickly and back up to  around 150.

Lol. Those darn I'll-informed undercutters.

Is any one selling any of the other sets? I parted out a First Night fairly well. I almost did that with the Mines when I read they were selling. But my limited BL research hasn't shown much for the other sets.

• Like 1

Had some Dimensions fun the last couple of days. Originally bought these for the minifigs only, though I have 2 B.A. Baracuses that I plan to sell on BL once the catalog entry is up.

Sold (all Discs only, buyins for entire pack after tax):

- Slimer: $5.95 incl. shipping - buy in was $2.13 (Target after GCs)

- A-Team: $7.99 incl. shipping - buy in was $7.69 (Target pre-order)

- A-Team: $7.99 incl. shipping - buy in was $6.41 (Target BOGOF)

- Harry Potter: $14.99 incl. shipping - buy in was $16.04 (Target pre-order)

- Stay Puft: $5.95 incl. shipping - buy in was $6.20 (Meijer after rewards)

- Wizard of Oz: $5.95 incl. shipping - buy in was $3.91 (Target BOGOF + GC)

- Krusty: $5.95 incl. shipping - buy in was $3.91 (Target BOGOF + GC)

- Doc Brown: $5.95 incl. shipping - buy in was $3.14 (Amazon)

Total buy-in $49.44, total revenue after deducting shipping and fees: $33.43. So 9 really nice minifigs for $16 (and plan to sell 3 of those to bring that number close to $0) and a boatload of pieces for the BL store.

Sold most of them in purchases of multiples, with reduced shipping refunded to buyer. 

I sold a few at 145 on ebay a few days ago. I checked earlier today and noticed many had been added in the 100-125 range  hopefully they will go quickly and back up to  around 150.

I don't see those $100-$125 ones ... I do see a lot of 4204 City Mine sets in that range that somehow come up if you search for lego 21118, but the real full set 21118 listings currently are 2 used ones sub-$100 and the first NISB one is listed for $145. So no undercutting as far as I can tell .....
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 11:54 AM, TabbyBoy said:

I agree. I was out on a bender a couple of years ago and was very click-happy with Asda/George when I got home. I bought a silly amount of sets and luckily I had buyer's remorse the next day and didn't collect the items. I emailed Asda and told them "I'm travelling with work and won't be able to collect for 2-3 weeks, can you please issue a refund, thanks!" If I went ahead and collected the order, I have lost £££s even today! I've since ordered with them when sober (a big hit last week) and there's been no problems.

If I come home after a good drink, I don't turn on the iMac or iPad!

I hope this wasn't made for you..

Image result for mork meme

• Like 3

On 10/3/2016 at 7:18 PM, Val-E said:

Trust the Brits and Irish to blame alcohol for their bad purchase decisions :P

I wonder if  Lego designers use the same excuse when they release a turd.

Alcohol, mother, father, brother, secret lover, the cause and solutions to all our problems.(or something to that effect), Once said by a great American yellow 2d philosopher.

Darth Revan for $31 (shipped) on Amazon FBM.

... crazy... had it listed at the lowest offer around $26 for about a week. Just this morning I thought, "I don't know if I really want to sell that right now..." so I raised the price $5, putting me about sixth on the list. Sold a couple hours later.

• Like 5

Just now, Kenxxx said:

... crazy... had it listed at the lowest offer around $26 for about a week. Just this morning I thought, "I don't know if I really want to sell that right now..." so I raised the price $5, putting me about sixth on the list. Sold a couple hours later.

Wow. That is crazy. Did that price include the 4.99 shipping?

2 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

Might have been that someone had your $26 item in their cart, waited a day or so, then came back to their cart seeing "Price has changed on 1 item in your cart", noticed it was higher and decided to pull the trigger before the price went up even more....