9516 - Jabba's Palace

Brick625

My girlfriend...doesn't know I actually already had 1 hidden and sealed away. But since I was planning on building that one, maybe I should get another.

classic.

i have 2 open for my son (w/ 1 set of minifigs) and 2 sealed. mom thinks we have 1 sealed for his july 3rd b-day.

this will be discounted once again around Thanksgiving. Might even be discounted at lego.com for May the 4th plus VIP points.

However, the current % discount is pretty sweet especially for those not 'banking' on finding these on clearance after Christmas.

My only prob is storage space. In less than 8 months, i've accumulated 131 sets excluding polys. "need a bigger boat".

I swear that this set wasn't that great of a seller until all of this happened. Even with good discounts at Target and Amazon it still wasn't selling out but now it is getting harder and harder to find by the day. All this did was help Lego to start selling a set that wasn't a big seller to begin with. Just like someone else mentioned "Even bad publicity is good". Anyway I wouldn't be shocked if this is just an initial buying craze because of the news and this comes back in stock everywhere again soon. I have 3 and I think I will be getting rid of them in the near future instead of hanging on to them. If anyone is still looking for one the cheapest might be buying from LEGO Shop at Home. It is in stock and $119. I believe double VIP points are still going on until the 8th also.

I don't know if it will be discounted again, I think they know now that it will move off of shelves w/o discounting. Just my thoughts.

That's what's crummy to me, that we are less likely to get this set on a 25-30% off discount in the fall now. The people who know nothing about Lego are swooping in to buy them all up, just based on the news story, expecting a big score this Christmas. This is not Tickle Me Elmo, people. Lego has plenty of capacity to produce 1000s upon 1000s more of these. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who bought a bunch of these yesterday, dump them early on ebay when they see them still available everywhere.

As far as the "offended" group goes, if I were in charge of Lego, I would have kept the palace in production an extra 6 months just to make the point to them that they have the right to NOT buy my products, and I do not "bow" to ridiculous, misplaced charges of racism, insensitivity, etc...

That's what's crummy to me, that we are less likely to get this set on a 25-30% off discount in the fall now. The people who know nothing about Lego are swooping in to buy them all up, just based on the news story, expecting a big score this Christmas. This is not Tickle Me Elmo, people. Lego has plenty of capacity to produce 1000s upon 1000s more of these. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who bought a bunch of these yesterday, dump them early on ebay when they see them still available everywhere.

As far as the "offended" group goes, if I were in charge of Lego, I would have kept the palace in production an extra 6 months just to make the point to them that they have the right to NOT buy my products, and I do not "bow" to ridiculous, misplaced charges of racism, insensitivity, etc...

I don't think hardly anyone who isn't in this game we are in even heard the news.....

I had one set I bought at a nice discount and just picked up a couple more on the lego site. I am wondering if the controversy around this set will ultimately make it more desirable once it goes EOL? Seems like anytime a story goes with something it ups the value. I figure at worst it shouldn't be hard to break even so I am on taking the risk.

Looking at ebay i noticed that a lot of 9516 were listed today for well over retail. So i buzzed over to Amazon to see if I could still get one for 95 bucks. I can't. The only ones available are through the marketplace, so apparently Amazon is no longer selling it at all. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? It all seems a bit premature, considering Lego has stated they intend to make the set available until its scheduled retirement date sometime later this year. I really wanted one, and 95 bucks is about what i figure the set is actually worth. I won't pay 120 for it. Will you?

Edit by Jeff

I merged this statement from a new topic that was started but felt it could just be added to this going thread....

Looking at ebay i noticed that a lot of 9516 were listed today for well over retail. So i buzzed over to Amazon to see if I could still get one for 95 bucks. I can't. The only ones available are through the marketplace, so apparently Amazon is no longer selling it at all. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? It all seems a bit premature, considering Lego has stated they intend to make the set available until its scheduled retirement date sometime later this year. I really wanted one, and 95 bucks is about what i figure the set is actually worth. I won't pay 120 for it. Will you?

Edit by Jeff

I merged this statement from a new topic that was started but felt it could just be added to this going thread....

Target is selling for 88...

But what about the statement LEGO published about not stopping production at all until the end of the year as it was supposed to? Will they actually stop producing it before then?

LEGO still has them for sale, so I doubt that production has stopped, but can I guarantee that? No. I have three of them and four Rancor Pits. For me personally, it was just to make sure I had the equal amount of each set. But if by chance that this set is done, you are talking about a truly unique situation and possible great investment.

But what about the statement LEGO published about not stopping production at all until the end of the year as it was supposed to? Will they actually stop producing it before then?

LEGO still has them for sale, so I doubt that production has stopped, but can I guarantee that? No. I have three of them and four Rancor Pits. For me personally, it was just to make sure I had the equal amount of each set. But if by chance that this set is done, you are talking about a truly unique situation and possible great investment.

I guess no one really knows. I really wanted one to build myself but I am not really sure I'm willing to spend the $120 now even if it means I may not be able to get it later. I guess I'll drive around a couple Walmart's and Targets close and see if they have it on sale or something.