10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

wasn't really worrying, just noticed a dip and how this set hasn't been talked about in a while so brought it up.  thanks gents. 

hey there. I also noticed that this set is lagging a bit behind its retirement class. (R2, Hh, ssd, Ge) on a % basis. This surprises me considering how quickly and quietly it went.  Less F5-ING than some other sets.  

That being said, one thing I love about this set is that nothing classic batman that had come out since then can beat it. 

The tumbler is superior, but it's a completely different beast. 

If you like classic batman, it's still the set to beat.

• Like 2

Not sure what the worry is.  It's summertime, which is historically when sets that aren't brand new take a dip anyway, you have a new summer lineup that has come out to take people's money,( see Jurassic World, Scooby Doo) and you have the Tumbler to compete for it's Batman dollars for those looking to spend some more serious dollars.  I'm happily holding all of mine until AT LEAST this Christmas, probably '16 more likely.  Honestly, I haven't even paid the least bit attention to this set yet.

• Like 2

If you got all 6 sets of the JW line for 1 AA, at this point I think that's a reasonable move. The JW sets have a RRP of $340, are the hot item right now, and you could potentially sell those sets for a nice gain this Christmas. AA might be better in a couple years, but it could also plateau right where it's at or in the low to mid 300's.....

• Like 1

All mods are watching this thread due to recent behavior.  (like in life outside of Brickpicker) everyone has a right to state their opinion but never make it a personal attack on someone else.   this goes for everyone regardless of their role / title on this web site.

please try to remember this is a forum about a great toy.  have fun building, making money, etc...

• Like 1

Being the curious type, I snuck a peak at the Brickpicker graphs for this set. It really is interesting and uninteresting at the same time. It really hasn't behaved that differently from other large sets in that:

1. price took off after retirement
  2. demand at xmas was exceptionally good which drove prices higher
  3. price stabilized as people begin to unload their stock (obviously we don't really know how much is out there)

For stock, I often look at Bricklink to see how much is listed... AA is roughly:

• Sold 42 units in the last 6 months (eBay sold 126 over the 5 available .. July not out yet)
  • Avg selling price $272 (pretty consistent with BP)
  • Total available is 275

I know there is plenty more out there, but lots of folks on BL post at higher prices (avg is $435) and just let them sit. Nothing earth shattering that's for sure... just another same old story in my books. I picked up an single extra one about a month ago for about 5% above MSRP and I'll keep it until 2016 unless demands shoots this Xmas. Folks who rush may make a few bucks but they also always seem stressed. Not something I'm interested in being - stressed!

10937.png

Edited by gregpj
  • Like 6

If you got all 6 sets of the JW line for 1 AA, at this point I think that's a reasonable move. The JW sets have a RRP of $340, are the hot item right now, and you could potentially sell those sets for a nice gain this Christmas. AA might be better in a couple years, but it could also plateau right where it's at or in the low to mid 300's.....

I feel a little better now. Thanks 

When I bought mine I knew it would be a long-term investment. This set is not suitable for QFLL or short-term investing. 

I understand people are impatient. Especially cause there is always a chance this set will be remade. Maybe that is a bit hanging like a dark cloud over this set.

We just have to get used to the fact that sets do not grow as fast as they used to be. There are some exceptions to the rule offcourse. 

There is also positive news. 76000 Arctic Batman is quite popular and seems to be rising slowly but surely.  

Edited by Ciglione

my impression is that the slower than desired growth is actually pretty expected for 10937.  Superhero sets aren't what they used to be.  

1) I think resellers caused the initial "pop" after retirement unlike a set such as Helm's Deep which had been pretty slow and steady since retirement.  

2) It appears Superhero sets are mainly purchased for the minifigs and then only a lesser percentage of that group actually cares about the bricks enough to spend major $$$ (€€€, £££) on retired superhero sets.

3)  We are no longer in the era of Batman 1 and it seems main driving factor are the minifigs for sets like AA.  At the same time, there are just too many superhero sets to pick from.  Buyers have too many choices (good for buyers, bad for resellers).  When the 1st AA retired, you couldn't most of it's minifigs in other sets so that kept it's demand high.  Now the 2nd AA retired, little tommy could get Batman, Robin, Penguin, Joker,  Riddler, etc...in another retail sets for far cheaper prices.  Now pretty much all of the 10937 minifigs have been refreshed again with yet other sets (mainly JokerLand & a couple of other sets).  Acarecrow is the lone except as he' stinky been refreshed twice since 2006 (available in 3 diff since).   

This set never had time appreciate (like the original AA set) without minifig refreshes .  

Thus, the slowed growth was somewhat predictable and investors need to rethink whether to hold or fold.  I think the set deserved at least another 6-12 months before folding but waiting too long could be risky for the reasons I mentioned above.

Being the curious type, I snuck a peak at the Brickpicker graphs for this set. It really is interesting and uninteresting at the same time. It really hasn't behaved that differently from other large sets in that:

1. price took off after retirement
  2. demand at xmas was exceptionally good which drove prices higher
  3. price stabilized as people begin to unload their stock (obviously we don't really know how much is out there)

For stock, I often look at Bricklink to see how much is listed... AA is roughly:

• Sold 42 units in the last 6 months (eBay sold 126 over the 5 available .. July not out yet)
  • Avg selling price $272 (pretty consistent with BP)
  • Total available is 275

I know there is plenty more out there, but lots of folks on BL post at higher prices (avg is $435) and just let them sit. Nothing earth shattering that's for sure... just another same old story in my books. I picked up an single extra one about a month ago for about 5% above MSRP and I'll keep it until 2016 unless demands shoots this Xmas. Folks who rush may make a few bucks but they also always seem stressed. Not something I'm interested in being - stressed!

• Like 1

Sounds like some 

True.

Also do not expect it to rise too much coming Xmas. I am "afraid" it will be all about Star Wars, Jurassic World and Scooby Doo this winter. Other sets will see a deminishing interest. As people can only spend their money once. 

If that's the case sounds like some bargains could be had (for us who missed out anyway).  I'd like at least one copy of this set so I'm in the boat of hoping it will drop a bit (maybe 10% from where it currently is) so i can feel better about buying one in the aftermarket.

I do think there's a good chance buyers who missed out on this set will flock to it down the road.  The set is too freaking cool to pass up and honestly, I think it's by far the best Lego Super Hero set since Batman 1.  It will just take time for these folks to realize Joker Land is "meh" with it's individual mini modular-like appeal.   It comes done to whether there is something available at retail (like Joker Land) that will take demand away from 10937 AA  

I'm olding onto mine for for at least 6-12 months.  It is just too good of set to sell prematurely unless you need the funds to buy a stash of UCS sets or some exclusives you like,  

Sounds like some 

If that's the case sounds like some bargains could be had (for us who missed out anyway).  I'd like at least one copy of this set so I'm in the boat of hoping it will drop a bit (maybe 10% from where it currently is) so i can feel better about buying one in the aftermarket.

I do think there's a good chance buyers who missed out on this set will flock to it down the road.  The set is too freaking cool to pass up and honestly, I think it's by far the best Lego Super Hero set since Batman 1.  It will just take time for these folks to realize Joker Land is "meh" with it's individual mini modular-like appeal.   It comes done to whether there is something available at retail (like Joker Land) that will take demand away from 10937 AA  

I'm olding onto mine for for at least 6-12 months.  It is just too good of set to sell prematurely unless you need the funds to buy a stash of UCS sets or some exclusives you like,  

I've said it before but I'd class myself as an investor/buyer first up and I really like AA.  Yeah i can get (and will) a jokerland at retail but when it comes down to it, in 6 months time i'll still be hankering after this one.  New film coming out the re-invigorate the batman craze.  If you're not fored to sell I'd really recommend keeping this one for when the market picks up.

agreed.  i really like this set.  like it so much that i forgot to take enough pics that i started for my build review thread :(

This set caught me eye when I came out of my dark ages last year and was one of my first purchases.

Might take time but down the line i'm sure there will be new AFOLs who will want this  

sorta. 

scarecrow still. batman's black cape / jet piece

there are some non-minifig elements that are kinda harder to find in other sets of you want to bricklink this.

http://brickset.com/inventories/10937-1

Been a long time since I've built it, is there anything super exclusive about this AA? This might be one of those sets that missed out on an opportunity by not including a really rare exclusive minifig.

Edited by jaisonline