4 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I wonder if the following growth rate is possible:

2008 set at 20% per year growth
Base value - 100
7 years of growth - 358.31

2014 set at corresponding growth rates - 100, 0, 0, 0, 20, 20, 20
Base value - 100
7 years of growth - 345.60

I can't predict the future but it is possible that these sets may achieve a similar result to the uniform model if everyone wants to wait for years and the supply dwindles.  The problem is that you have maximized your return by selling it right away and most of us will not want to wait 7 years to see if these will eventually grow.  One good thing is that we KNOW that Ed Mack will still have his sets so we can easily verify whether this happens.

Problem with Batman is there will be another Arkham along within 7 years - if Lego don´t do it, the Chinese will unless they see it is not profitable, even for them!

26 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I wonder if the following growth rate is possible

We can always hope and dream but at the end of the day the best predictor of future behavior is recent relevant past behavior.

Lego is still a great toy and very fun to play with for me but as an investment vehicle I am struggling to find a reason to invest in it rather than the alternatives if I am being objective. Hopefully the market does a 180 but I am not going to hold my breath.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

A number of sources commenting there will be a new AA out in 2017 for the movie. 2016 just gets better every day.

Brickset has AA as a late 2012 launch.  So 2017 sounds reasonable for a re-release.  Question is, rehash? refresh? remake? or something new.  Honestly after building an AA, I think it struggled with not knowing what it wanted to be.  (Fig heavy but no real play features). I’d hope we get something that is more play-set based.  

• 2 months later...
On 16.8.2016 at 11:02 AM, feed said:

Funny thing is, Lego Batman stands a good chance of being the best/most popular batman movie in a decade and scheduled in Feb may well uptick interested in DC more than all of WB efforts in 2016/2017.  

Is the Dark Knight Trilogy that old already? No, the third film is from 2012. So if there's a contestant for best Batman movie in a decade, that one cannot be in cinemas before 2022.

Edited by Frank Brickowski

17 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Is the Dark Knight Trilogy that old already? No, the third film is from 2012. So if there's a contestant for best Batman movie in a decade, that one cannot be in cinemas before 2022.

I didn’t say the only Batman film in a decade, I said the most popular.  The Batman Lego movie could quite well be considered more popular than the Dark Knight Rises. It could also quite well be a better movie than the Dark knight rises.  Therefore the most popular/best batman movie in a decade.  

Granted it’s unlikely to be better than The Dark Knight, which was nine years ago.  You’ll have to forgive me for rounding up 9 to 10.  

4 minutes ago, feed said:

I didn’t say the only Batman film in a decade, I said the most popular.  The Batman Lego movie could quite well be considered more popular than the Dark Knight Rises. It could also quite well be a better movie than the Dark knight rises.  Therefore the most popular/best batman movie in a decade.  

Granted it’s unlikely to be better than The Dark Knight, which was nine years ago.  You’ll have to forgive me for rounding up 9 to 10. 

You said "the best/most popular batman movie in a decade". "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises" were both released within the last 10 years, so to be better and/or more popular than those two, The Lego Batman Movie would have to beat those numbers:

- "The Dark Knight" (2008) - Popularity: Worldwide Box office Revenue > $ 1 billion; Quality: imdb.com all-time top rated movie #4
- "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012) - Popularity: Worldwide Box office Revenue > $ 1 billion; imdb all-time top rated movie #62

I've just seen the trailer of The Lego Batman Movie and what I saw looked nothing close to even the top 250 movies of all time and nothing close to $ 1 billion in worldwide revenue. The Lego Movie had a worldwide revenue of below $ 500 million and is not in the top 250 list on imdb.com (for a reason). So, to anticipate The Lego Batman Movie to be "the best/most popular Batman film in a decade" sounds pretty unlikely, unless you're talking from the perspective of a pre-teen audience, which the movie seems to be targeted at.

23 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

You said "the best/most popular batman movie in a decade". "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises" were both released within the last 10 years, so to be better and/or more popular than those two, The Lego Batman Movie would have to beat those numbers:

- "The Dark Knight" (2008) - Popularity: Worldwide Box office Revenue > $ 1 billion; Quality: imdb.com all-time top rated movie #4
- "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012) - Popularity: Worldwide Box office Revenue > $ 1 billion; imdb all-time top rated movie #62

I've just seen the trailer of The Lego Batman Movie and what I saw looked nothing close to even the top 250 movies of all time and nothing close to $ 1 billion in worldwide revenue. The Lego Movie had a worldwide revenue of below $ 500 million and is not in the top 250 list on imdb.com (for a reason). So, to anticipate The Lego Batman Movie to be "the best/most popular Batman film in a decade" sounds pretty unlikely, unless you're talking from the perspective of a pre-teen audience, which the movie seems to be targeted at.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not, if not, then please just take a day off. 

Most people reading my comments, would understand that I was making an observation that the Lego batman movie, will do more to invigorate the franchise, then anything else in the last ten years.  Including the Dark Knight Rises, which not only put the Nolen trilogy to bed but also pretty much signalled a change in the way that DC would handle the IP.    I.e. moving the franchise to be more driven towards merchandising rather than box office gross, as is typical with super hero movies.  

If you want to do a critical review between the Lego Batman Movie and the dark knight trilogy, knock yourself out.    I’m more interested what it does for the Batman brand perception and product.  

5 minutes ago, feed said:

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not, if not, then please just take a day off. 

Most people reading my comments, would understand that I was making an observation that the Lego batman movie, will do more to invigorate the franchise, then anything else in the last ten years.  Including the Dark Knight Rises, which not only put the Nolen trilogy to bed but also pretty much signalled a change in the way that DC would handle the IP.    I.e. moving the franchise to be more driven towards merchandising rather than box office gross, as is typical with super hero movies.  

If you want to do a critical review between the Lego Batman Movie and the dark knight trilogy, knock yourself out.    I’m more interested what it does for the Batman brand perception and product.  

...then maybe you should rather have written just about that to avoid misunderstanding. I simply related to what you wrote in your post up there, thought it was wrong enough to be commented on and that's why I replied. If you MEANT something else than you wrote - how can I know? Had I known, I would have saved the effort.

@Frank Brickowski and @feed ,Ok ok, agree to disagree and let's move on.  Just ignore each other's posts.  Personally, I don't think either Batman movie will help most Lego Batman sets for the long-term.  Lego is just releasing too many Batman sets with refreshed minifigs every year.  We'll see.

In general, I do think the nicely designed Arkham Asylum Breakout set's  already dismal value (compared to MSRP) will drop even more once the new Arkham is released.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

In general, I do think the nicely designed Arkham Asylum Breakout set's  already dismal value (compared to MSRP) will drop even more once the new Arkham is released.  

Full on agree with you hear.  Much as i like 10937 and i did (it was before my time and IMO a nice looking set) want to get one eventually as soon as i saw the new version I lost interest.  

I don't think Breakout will plummet by any means (and if anything be inclined to agree with @feed that the batman lego movie could be a shot in the arm for the some of the older Lego sets); just might have to be more patient once it gets some competition.

35 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I do think LEGO Batman will be the most successful DC movie since the Nolan films, if it doesn't suck.

I bet it won't exceed a worldwide revenue of $ 300 million, meaning less than "Batman Begins". Outside of North America I expect the movie not to be very attractive for (general) audiences. So it will be successful, yes, but not THAT successful, as some around here seem to expect.

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Cartoon Arkham vs Gotham Arkham. I really don't see them as substitutes for most DC collectors. Cartoon Arkham is going to be excellent flipping material week in and week out on FBA. Gotham version will continue to appreciate nicely on FBA. I'll be making good money on both.

What? There's a new Arkham Asylum coming out? Jeez... do I have to read every post from every thread on here if I want to know what's going on? Or do I have to ...<gasp>... go to another site to get my info?  Maybe I'll start a thread:  "New releases (rumored or verified) that could trash the value of sets you're holding right now..."

All kidding aside... I've now looked at the set 70912, photos on google, some video on youtube... it looks bigger than 10937... wider... and has a guard tower which is cool.  But beyond that I don't much care for it.  10937 looks way cooler on the outside, more interesting interior, and I like the minifigs with 10937 more (but I'm not a comic book geek, so I don't know who half these guys are anyway).

But I have to agree... even if I think it is a lesser set, the new Arkham will certainly hurt the value of 10937.