10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

I'm sure BrickLegacy is just noticing the same thing I have.  I sold my first 10937 just after Christmas for $285 + shipping.  I wasn't the lowest, but was pretty close to the low BIN price on ebay.  Looking at my "plan" for moving inventory, I was thinking about selling another right about now (six months later), but when I look at ebay listings, if I wanted to sell today, I'd probably have to take less than I did six months ago.  But I think you're right... it's just a soft summer market.  I'll wait 'til this winter.  Or maybe just price it the way I want, and wait for a buyer who recognizes that I am a superior seller, and worth a little more ;)

Yes, mostly observing the stale growth over the past 5 months.

As a note, I know my response kind of came off as snooty, and I didn't mean it that way, I was actually sincere - I was wondering what kind of growth (compartive set wise) folks were expecting at this point - trying to educate myself as to why people would be a little worried. I know I usually preach "hold" - but lord knows even I am wrong (I went pretty big on on Monster Fighters, but I am continuing to stubbornly hold those as well)

Also, out of curiosity and slightly off topic - Some of the longer term folks might be able to answer this, the influx of investors and those who are seeking short term profits, does that HURT long term values of sets because the market of people who would want to buy them later is lower? I am guessing once upon a time, once an exclusive retired, fewer people had stashes of them at new, and most of those people simply held instead of selling 6 months later - which I imagine increased demand and price. A lot of people willing to sell 6-1 month later at 30-50% profit must have some impact on the longer term market, I imagine?

Also, out of curiosity and slightly off topic - Some of the longer term folks might be able to answer this, the influx of investors and those who are seeking short term profits, does that HURT long term values of sets because the market of people who would want to buy them later is lower? I am guessing once upon a time, once an exclusive retired, fewer people had stashes of them at new, and most of those people simply held instead of selling 6 months later - which I imagine increased demand and price. A lot of people willing to sell 6-1 month later at 30-50% profit must have some impact on the longer term market, I imagine?

​Yes, growth will be much slower if they continue to undercut each other while they offload to go onto the next thing.

That is the problem of more investors joining the game. Sets will retire at Lego and in stores. But technically it retires much later due to many keeping a copy or more to sell later. So these sets are still easily obtainable on ebay and other platforms. Just against a small premium. Also many stores still have them on the shelves cause people already bought the sets from QFLL's. Of which many are happy with clearing 20 euro on a set or some free vip-points. Thus saturating the market in an too early stage and creating false demand and overproduction. I am positive a few years back this did not happen at this scale. But it is inevitable.

I am also stubbornly holding on to the monster fighter sets hoping for the push in value. But I am getting more and more convinced this might not happen at all. Except for the Haunted House. 

Arkham Asylum is a very good set. Especially with the minifigures it has. Eventhough the fanbase in Europe is not as big as in the US I believe in a year or three it can reach 400 euro for a MISB set. Or maybe I have read too many kids books?

Edited by Ciglione

Have to realize too that it got a little extra bump at the time  it disappeared  being the holidays. It worked  out well if you were selling  then. Had it gone during  an off part  of the year it wouldn't  of spiked  so much.  Probably  should  of had an initial pop of about 250ish but with holidays was pulling 290-300. After that it leveled back  down and is just holding  ground for now. 

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1

I think this set will do fine with patience, though I was questioning it last fall.  The thing I remember about this set's initial explosive growth was that it went to sold out status around the holidays and Christmas--the time when people were looking or waiting to buy the set and it sold out everywhere--and it increased in price quicker than many sets that "retired" last fall, such as R2 and GE.  IMO the initial rapid price increase might explain the relative stagnation in the last several months.  I would expect the price of AA to begin increasing later this summer or fall.

• Like 1

Am pessimistic about this one. Batman just does not cut it in Europe and there are a glut of these for less than 250 euros that are just not selling - despite its relatively short shelf life. We´ll see what happens this Xmas but I am not expecting miracles. Only Modulars and SW seem to have any sort of growth potential these days (apart from the odd early suprise)

I know it disappeared quick.  I don't think there were many F5 sessions after Dec. 1.

​That's one reason why I'm surprised it hasn't jumped in value even higher.  But then again, maybe a few extra F5 sets really doesn't impact the secondary market.  

We shall see if the holiday season is a Gotham block party for this set.  I hope Achilles is right and this becomes a $400 set in two+ years.  That's not the definition of a loser...but it's also not a R2.

• 2 months later...

What's the latest feelings on this set? Been a while since discussed.  I was able to grab on in a trade for a little higher than retail but happy I have it.  I think the set is amazing but it's actually declined in price recently.  Two Batman related movies coming out soon, and the holiday...I mean this has great potential wouldn't you think? 

What's the latest feelings on this set? Been a while since discussed.  I was able to grab on in a trade for a little higher than retail but happy I have it.  I think the set is amazing but it's actually declined in price recently.  Two Batman related movies coming out soon, and the holiday...I mean this has great potential wouldn't you think? 

Had 4 - cracked one open to build a few months ago and love it! However it's numbers aren't what everyone was hoping for. One sold in Canada just last week for only $30 over retail on ebay. Christmas should give it a bit of a boost hopefully, as i think this set's biggest audience for this set would be kids (playset and all), but i'll be unloading mine before an inevitable remake.

I sold all mines on eBay as follows

1/4/2015  - $290 shipped

1/20/2015 - $325 shipped

4/3/2015 - $295 shipped

6/28/2015 - $275 shipped

I definitely saw the demand decreasing and the price point going lower after April.

Took my 28% to 46% profit on that one and moved to greater and better things.

Sincerely,

Sincerely ? Too many e-mails today. Jesus.

Let me fill you in as to what I was talking about since you want to run your mouth.........since the beginning of BP there have been some people who wanna run their mouths and think they have this whole investing game figured out. Have you read every single comment regarding this set? No? Because I have and there were many comments about how this was gonna be the greatest investment in the super heroes line up. You can state your disdain for me all you want makes no difference to me and it certainly won't change my modding style so you are just wasting your time if that was the point of your post.  I'm not here to win popularity contests I'm here to MOD. Good day.

People need to stop worrying about this short term activity.  This thing hasn't even been retired a year, and price fluctuations are to be expected.  Just because it's an exclusive didn't mean you should expect to flip less than a year after retirement and make for profits.  Sit on this set until next year at least if you can.

• Like 2