10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

• 1 month later...

Patience my friends...

I have alot of faith in this set. It only just disappeared what... 5 months ago?? That the value in Europe is a bit behind on the US is common sense. We already expected this to happen. Just keep it locked up for a year or two and then check in again. The previous AA did well in Europe as well.

Patience my friends...

I have alot of faith in this set. It only just disappeared what... 5 months ago?? That the value in Europe is a bit behind on the US is common sense. We already expected this to happen. Just keep it locked up for a year or two and then check in again. The previous AA did well in Europe as well.

Agreed. This is prob the "one" batman set to own since 2012 so far. We had the crazy "pop" last Fall and early Winter. Now the normal (slower) appreciation begins.

Agreed. This is prob the "one" batman set to own since 2012 so far. We had the crazy "pop" last Fall and early Winter. Now the normal (slower) appreciation begins.

I hope you are right guys, because I got some of these babies. 

The only thing that worries me, is that almost  none are selling at the price between 230-250€

r2d2 for example had a ceiling of 250€ As well, but there were Sold serveral pieces a day

Demand is low at the moment. But recently I got several decent offers on the AA already from people who missed the boat. I did not bite cause I think it is too early to sell right now. Also the UCS Helicarrier and Tumbler spiked new interest in the Super Heroes theme.

And there is gonna be a movie and all that too but right now I want to reduce my portfolio and focus purely on SW, Technic and modulars. I don´t see enough interest in these sets in europe to have so much money and space tied up in them - better for those who long term hoard, I guess.

And there is gonna be a movie and all that too but right now I want to reduce my portfolio and focus purely on SW, Technic and modulars. I don´t see enough interest in these sets in europe to have so much money and space tied up in them - better for those who long term hoard, I guess.

I keep seeing people say that there's not as much interest in super heroes in Europe, why is that, Batman, Avengers, X-Men etc are all huge global movie franchises, why wouldn't they be as successful over here?

My theory is that these appeal to an audience mainly of children here whereas in the US there are more AFOL collectors. We also have more price sensitive buyers so appreciation is slower.

This set will eventually make you a lot of money as Cig affirms, but I am moving on to other things that I feel work better in my local market. 

My theory is that these appeal to an audience mainly of children here whereas in the US there are more AFOL collectors. We also have more price sensitive buyers so appreciation is slower.

This set will eventually make you a lot of money as Cig affirms, but I am moving on to other things that I feel work better in my local market. 

Is this a comic book vs movie thing? I came to most of these characters through movies in the last few years, bar Batman and Superman, whereas I'd say there's a bigger comic book following in the US, who've been fans of these characters for years.

Basically means that there will be AFOL super hero fans over here, just not until the next generation.

I think it might be more the playset vs display piece scenario. The Tumbler should do a lot better here, for instance as that does appeal more to the AFOL collector. Playsets are always going to be capped due to remakes and alternatives being available.

Comic books and super heroes in general just don't have the same cultural cache here in Europe as they do in the US, where they are a part of the American cultural landscape and have been for generations. Like valenciaric says, that's why you have more serious collectors of this kind of stuff in the US. Let's not forget, these are all American creations after all. There are no European super heroes.

The super hero movies are popular here, the same as most Hollywood blockbusters will be popular. But the associated toys, comic books etc just don't have the same hardcore collector community as you'd find in the US.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

​Hmmmm, the saturation of Gotham?

​No kidding.  It's a shame too because its a nice set.  I've built it three times thanks to my son's creative ways of destruction.  I'm resetting my expectations on this one.  Glad it went poof before I had a chance to (foolishly) load up.

I am not sure what I am missing, but the set had an MSRP of $160. It's now been off SAH for apx 6 months. I am seeing an average sold price on Ebay apx 280-290ish. I am not saying those are earth shattering returns, but after 6 months and with so many people unloading them NOW... I am even more confident this will be a long term winner. I guess I am just not sure what some folks are expecting in terms of growth/speed. I think if you talk about a set's growth before it goes through at least one holiday shopping season, you're wasting your time and energy.  Patience. This is also the worst time to sell of the year, so take current prices with a grain of salt. If one year from now this set is still selling for 280ish, I will A: Be shocked, and B: Be concerned. I just don't see it going down that way. 

All that being said, I think with the stark uptick in LEGO investors in just the last year or two, and the state of the economy as well as the increased products LEGO has released, people still have some unrealistic expectations of returns. Personally, I think this is a GOOD thing for long term investors, as I am hoping to see some of the latecomers give up quickly and also that it will discourage further new folks. 

I'd kind of compare it to Diagon Alley - A set that MSRPed for $150, and now about 2 years later is selling for about $320, with a peak during the holidays of $350 ish. I think Arkham will be similar, maybe with a top end of $400 ish after two years off the shelf. As far as I am concerned those are fantastic numbers, you'd still be doubling your money (or close to it) if you paid MSRP and got no promos/deals.

• Like 8

I am not sure what I am missing, but the set had an MSRP of $160. It's now been off SAH for apx 6 months. I am seeing an average sold price on Ebay apx 280-290ish. I am not saying those are earth shattering returns, but after 6 months and with so many people unloading them NOW... I am even more confident this will be a long term winner. I guess I am just not sure what some folks are expecting in terms of growth/speed. I think if you talk about a set's growth before it goes through at least one holiday shopping season, you're wasting your time and energy.  Patience. This is also the worst time to sell of the year, so take current prices with a grain of salt. If one year from now this set is still selling for 280ish, I will A: Be shocked, and B: Be concerned. I just don't see it going down that way. 

All that being said, I think with the stark uptick in LEGO investors in just the last year or two, and the state of the economy as well as the increased products LEGO has released, people still have some unrealistic expectations of returns. Personally, I think this is a GOOD thing for long term investors, as I am hoping to see some of the latecomers give up quickly and also that it will discourage further new folks. 

I'd kind of compare it to Diagon Alley - A set that MSRPed for $150, and now about 2 years later is selling for about $320, with a peak during the holidays of $350 ish. I think Arkham will be similar, maybe with a top end of $400 ish after two years off the shelf. As far as I am concerned those are fantastic numbers, you'd still be doubling your money (or close to it) if you paid MSRP and got no promos/deals.

​Go big or go home!  Not my motto...

I'm sure BrickLegacy is just noticing the same thing I have.  I sold my first 10937 just after Christmas for $285 + shipping.  I wasn't the lowest, but was pretty close to the low BIN price on ebay.  Looking at my "plan" for moving inventory, I was thinking about selling another right about now (six months later), but when I look at ebay listings, if I wanted to sell today, I'd probably have to take less than I did six months ago.  But I think you're right... it's just a soft summer market.  I'll wait 'til this winter.  Or maybe just price it the way I want, and wait for a buyer who recognizes that I am a superior seller, and worth a little more ;)

• Like 1