10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

29 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

What? There's a new Arkham Asylum coming out? Jeez... do I have to read every post from every thread on here if I want to know what's going on? Or do I have to ...<gasp>... go to another site to get my info?  Maybe I'll start a thread:  "New releases (rumored or verified) that could trash the value of sets you're holding right now..."

All kidding aside... I've now looked at the set 70912, photos on google, some video on youtube... it looks bigger than 10937... wider... and has a guard tower which is cool.  But beyond that I don't much care for it.  10937 looks way cooler on the outside, more interesting interior, and I like the minifigs with 10937 more (but I'm not a comic book geek, so I don't know who half these guys are anyway).

But I have to agree... even if I think it is a lesser set, the new Arkham will certainly hurt the value of 10937.

I like them both.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

I just sold 12 of these today. Any idea as to what changed?

This one is becoming scarce in the USA. A couple of 2014 sets are getting ready to fly on Amazon - R2, AA and HE. The 2 year hold and sell crowd is gone so time for prices to rise to the next level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, asharerin said:

This one is becoming scarce in the USA. A couple of 2014 sets are getting ready to fly on Amazon - R2, AA and HE. The 2 year hold and sell crowd is gone so time for prices to rise to the next level.

Erm, you did get the memo about the new one coming in Jan, right? If it´s getting scarce it´s probably cos folk have dumped it just in time.

In any case, @Ciglione US rules don´t apply to us so we´ll be stuck with them, I´m afraid.

Just now, Val-E said:

Erm, you did get the memo about the new one coming in Jan, right? If it´s getting scarce it´s probably cos folk have dumped it just in time.

In any case, @Ciglione US rules don´t apply to us so we´ll be stuck with them, I´m afraid.

10937 will be the sought after AA for DC collectors, not the new one.

As for Europe, I have no clue about that market.

• Like 1

These two are different enough I'm not worried. This isn't a new Landspeeder, these are two different structures.
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, they are different looking, but they are essentially the same.

I get what you're saying, but it's still different. With these two sets, a buyer has their choice of design. Some people are going to like the new one, sure. But this one is a bit more iconic to a traditional depiction of Arkham.

I'm probably tainted since I like the design of this one over the new one. But I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.
  • Like 1

I get what you're saying, but it's still different. With these two sets, a buyer has their choice of design. Some people are going to like the new one, sure. But this one is a bit more iconic to a traditional depiction of Arkham.

I'm probably tainted since I like the design of this one over the new one. But I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

10937 is more similar to the 7700 series batsets and both are more closely associated with the excellent animated series and the 80s movie than other sets are. BatPeople with money tend to have been raised or born in the 80s and these are THEIR batsets.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Remind when it has ever been good for a set to have a remake at the same price point! Worse still, the new one is about as hard to find as herpes.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

Remind when it has ever been good for a set to have a remake at the same price point! Worse still, the new one is about as hard to find as herpes.

It will come down to collector preference. If they ever remake a gothic style AA then that will hurt 10937. The new cartoon version does not have any gothic tones and IMO the minifig faces are god awful. For me 10937 nailed the gothic imagery from the Batman universe perfectly. The new set is lighthearted and is all about puns from the new movie. Two completely different markets with different budgets IMO. I guess time will tell.

• Like 1