Selling through Amazon FBA

appleseed1967

Just saw an Amazon ad in Canadian TV mentioning that third party sellers (whistling here) made $19 billion last year and that Amazon will invest that much in upgrading its operations this year. Gets you right in the feels. Wasn’t stated how much of that would be used to go after shady buyers who buy items and return paint cans, etc. Oversight I’m sure. 

On 12/1/2020 at 10:53 PM, donbee said:

Sounds like you had it too low in the first place. Are you... that guy?

My strategy is often to list sets like this as soon as I buy them for 2-3 times what I paid, which is well above the going rate. Once the going rate rises to my level and I sell one I then raise the price, if I have t already noticed it rising beforehand. I am never “that guy” undercutting the existing floor. 

So what is the consensus on selling Lego when Amazon runs out of stock?  I get being ready with FBM, but how are people going about doing FBA?  Does it work out sending a bunch of random sets in hoping they sell out?  I assume that's not the case, and I get taking a chance on a holiday pick, but how are some of these people Johny on the spot?  Just as an example I'm looking at Ferrari F8 76895.  Amazon is sold out and Toyburg has stock in Amazon's warehouse.  I understand there are people privy to the supply chain and what may or may not be in abundance, but supply/demand doesn't always happen how they might think.

15 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

So what is the consensus on selling Lego when Amazon runs out of stock?  I get being ready with FBM, but how are people going about doing FBA?  Does it work out sending a bunch of random sets in hoping they sell out?  I assume that's not the case, and I get taking a chance on a holiday pick, but how are some of these people Johny on the spot?  Just as an example I'm looking at Ferrari F8 76895.  Amazon is sold out and Toyburg has stock in Amazon's warehouse.  I understand there are people privy to the supply chain and what may or may not be in abundance, but supply/demand doesn't always happen how they might think.

Sellers like Toyburg cover 90% of the listings and either undercut Amazon if they don't sell out or take the hit and pull the stock back.

To be more thorough:

They purchase wholesale Lego's, at wholesale prices, in wholesale quantities. No goofing around with target boxes and bs.
They spend most of the time saved running analytics on "best" flipping opportunities. 
Select X number of good opportunities. Buy in bulk. Send it in.
If you are successful on 30-40% of the choices they are making profit. 

Edited by landphieran

32 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Sellers like Toyburg cover 90% of the listings and either undercut Amazon if they don't sell out or take the hit and pull the stock back.

To be more thorough:

They purchase wholesale Lego's, at wholesale prices, in wholesale quantities. No goofing around with target boxes and bs.
They spend most of the time saved running analytics on "best" flipping opportunities. 
Select X number of good opportunities. Buy in bulk. Send it in.
If you are successful on 30-40% of the choices they are making profit. 

That makes sense except I didn't think Lego sells to such companies.  You either have a B&M and get very little inventory (not prime) or you are Target, Walmart, Amazon, Khols, Best Buy or some other major retailer.

9 hours ago, gmpirate said:

That makes sense except I didn't think Lego sells to such companies.  You either have a B&M and get very little inventory (not prime) or you are Target, Walmart, Amazon, Khols, Best Buy or some other major retailer.

I have met and spoken with the owners of Toyburg a few years back. They used to have/still have a B&M independent toy store out in Kentucky. So yes, they would technically be able to source their product directly from LEGO. And if my local independent toy store is anything to go by, that means they have access to a lot of different sets. My local toy store has a selection that is bigger than Toys'R'us had back in the day (which is already twice as big as WM/Target stores have). They even had exclusives.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

I have met and spoken with the owners of Toyburg a few years back. They used to have/still have a B&M independent toy store out in Kentucky. So yes, they would technically be able to source their product directly from LEGO. And if my local independent toy store is anything to go by, that means they have access to a lot of different sets. My local toy store has a selection that is bigger than Toys'R'us had back in the day (which is already twice as big as WM/Target stores have). They even had exclusives.

Interesting.  I've always heard differently.  I don't know of any independent Lego dealers around me at all.  Maybe they are grandfathered in and do enough sales to eek by in Lego's eyes abut newcomers would be shrugged off.

I just received this message a few minutes ago. I’m wondering if it’s another mistake and if I should just ignore?

Hello,

We have discovered an issue with your seller account that needs to be addressed immediately.

To continue selling on Amazon.com, follow the steps below:
1) Go to Seller Central > Settings (available in the top right) > Notification Preferences.
2) Locate the Emergency Notification section at the bottom and click Edit.
3) Fill in a valid phone number (including the country code), then click Save.
4) When a valid phone number is currently listed, send us a confirmation email by replying to this notice.

What happens next?
Once we receive your confirmation email, we will review your account and decide whether you may sell on Amazon.com.
We will send you an email when our review is complete. Otherwise, we might ask for additional information.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Thank you for selling on Amazon,
Amazon Seller Performance

I just received this message a few minutes ago. I’m wondering if it’s another mistake and if I should just ignore?
Hello,

We have discovered an issue with your seller account that needs to be addressed immediately.

1) Go to Seller Central > Settings (available in the top right) > Notification Preferences.
4) When a valid phone number is currently listed, send us a confirmation email by replying to this notice.

What happens next?
Once we receive your confirmation email, we will review your account and decide whether you may sell on Amazon.com.
We will send you an email when our review is complete. Otherwise, we might ask for additional information.

Uh oh....that's a little sketchy...anyone else get the same message?

26 minutes ago, odysea11 said:
30 minutes ago, exciter1 said:
Hello,

What happens next?

contact me immediately if you responded. seriously.

30 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Hello,

What happens next?

contact me immediately if you responded. like seriously immediately. I'll be DM'ing you my phone number now. 

Edited by JOEBRICK376
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, odysea11 said:
32 minutes ago, exciter1 said:
2 minutes ago, JOEBRICK376 said:

contact me immediately if you responded. seriously.

contact me immediately if you responded. like seriously immediately. I'll be DM'ing you my phone number now. 

Yep, false alarm, bogus message from a false email address.

[email protected]

I figured it out once I got on my laptop and could see the header information.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've requested reimbursement for these types of returns in the past and the answer is always that you have to wait 30 days for the customer to return the item.  If they don't return the item within 30 days then you can request a reimbursement.  It doesn't make any sense because there is no item to return, but it's their policy.

• Like 1

Just now, zskid00 said:

I've requested reimbursement for these types of returns in the past and the answer is always that you have to wait 30 days for the customer to return the item.  If they don't return the item within 30 days then you can request a reimbursement.  It doesn't make any sense because there is no item to return, but it's their policy.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the % of clients that this "happens" to is low. With the holidays I imagine the period is even longer than 30 days, more like end of January.

30 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

With holiday return period, does this mean 1/31/21 + 30 days ?

46 minutes ago, shagmoz said:

When using FBA who is responsible if a client claims to not have received an item. Amazon automatically deducts from your seller account but I have no control over the shipment since Amazon is fulfilling. Do they eventually refund the seller?

11 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

With holiday return period, does this mean 1/31/21 + 30 days ?

you get a reimbursement within 45 day of when the refund was initiated  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

So what happens when FC miscounted my shipment? I sent 3x ASIN1 & 3x ASIN2, but they scanned as 1x ASIN1 & 5x ASIN2. 

All 5x ASIN2 were sold.  Am I just waiting for 2 returns with "wrong item sent" as reasons?  

I cannot reconcile until 1/2

Maybe I should, but I don't monitor things that closely.  Too many products/things going on.  I do notice however, that items go in and out of inventory all the time and then show up later.  I'm sure there times smaller things do disappear that I don't notice, but I look at it as being no different than a business that has full control of their inventory all the way through the process.  There is theft/loss that happens in any business that has to be accounted for and I'm not sure its worth the time in tracking down in regards to FBA.  In the time it takes I can find more items to flip, organize my inventory, make another shipment, etc.