**Official** Target July and August Clearance Deals

nolanfan34

I couldn't endorse hiding sets no matter what the success rate is.  Knowingly hiding a toy so children couldn't possibly access it doesn't seem conscionable.  I suppose people will do what they want and justify things the way they see fit.  I've always viewed Lego as a toy that should be accessible to everyone, not hidden from children or parents trying to buy a toy their child wants.

• Like 5

Yet you see nothing wrong with buying the toy, storing it, and marking the toy up 100% or more---selling it to the same parents/kids.

I suppose people will do what they want and justify things the way they see fit.

Moral lines are never drawn straight. And there isn't a contrast knob to adjust out the gray either. My favorite is when people hide legos behind megabloks---knowing nobody will look there...and the first 2 on shelf will never sell. At least move it to a different dept! I find hidden legos all the time. There are a lot more advanced methods though. Buy Helms deep a retail on red card. Wait for 50% clearance to start. Return for 119, buy next day for 60.

Buy a clearance item at one store, and return it at another that has it for full price with no receipt.

I am considering returning my town hall (paid 160) from amzn to lego for a $200 store credit. I don't have the stones though. Hiding a couple sets I know are going to be clearanced within 2 weeks is the length of my depravity.

Capitalism and altruism don't mix...never have.

I couldn't endorse hiding sets no matter what the success rate is.  Knowingly hiding a toy so children couldn't possibly access it doesn't seem conscionable.  I suppose people will do what they want and justify things the way they see fit.  I've always viewed Lego as a toy that should be accessible to everyone, not hidden from children or parents trying to buy a toy their child wants.

That's a fair point, and one I'm not completely opposed to. I don't hide things myself, but ironically I did hide stuff as a kid, when I didn't have enough allowance to buy all the stuff I wanted during a trip to KB and hoped that last one or two items would still be in stock the next time I came around. Makes me wonder how many of these sets are stashed by kiddos because Mom said "maybe next time".  

• Like 1

You know that feeling when you find a Helm's Deep on clearance for $91 and you get all excited because it is the first one you have even seen in your area and then you get an aisle or two over and you realize that it was repackaged and you shake it to hear all the loose parts moving around in the box?  Yeah, now so do I. :cry:

Oh well, at least I found TMNT heaven.  At least 15+ each of 79103 and 79104 at %50 in a bustling store with kids crammed everywhere and no one even looking at them.  Come on %70. :drool:

Guys, let's try not to s$%t up another thread with another ethics class.  Everybody is going to address Lego investing differently, and have different tactics.  I'm sure hiding Lego throughout the store is another of a long list of avenues that have been taken in getting the almightly Lego set.  If you want to start another topic about "Lego Hiding", go for it, but this thread is about Target and their discounts for the Summer. 

• Like 1

Guys, let's try not to s$%t up another thread with another ethics class.  Everybody is going to address Lego investing differently, and have different tactics.  I'm sure hiding Lego throughout the store is another of a long list of avenues that have been taken in getting the almightly Lego set.  If you want to start another topic about "Lego Hiding", go for it, but this thread is about Target and their discounts for the Summer. 

Here Here! Very well put. On that note, back to Target clearance.

So, finally a good piece of luck at Target for me! I live in the SF Bay Area in Cali, and there is an extremely high demand for LEGO here which leads to very few discounts. Ever the optimist, I still headed out today to check out my local Targets. 

Not to any surprise (does that now make me a pessimist?) there wasn't a single set marked on clearance yet, except for one store having MOM for $67. Not even the few scattered MF sets, or any of the Sponge Bob (which there's still tons of) were marked down one bit. 

Disappointed as always, I was heading out of the last store and walked by an end-cap which had all the new Castle and Coast Guard sets. I stopped to look at the prices (now I'm back to being an optimist again!), and my eyes almost fell out of the socket when I saw that 70404 King's Castle had a red "Clearance" tag underneath, all the way on the bottom shelf. Thinking for sure it was a mistake, I looked at the first box and sure enough, it had the magic sticker!!! $69.99!!!

They had three, all with th sticker. Needless to say, I grabbed all three. They have some slight damage to the boxes from that stupid anti-theft device which they strap on to the bigger sets, but for a brand new set, 30% ain't too shabby! Plus, I got an extra 5% off from the Red Card, so after tax it was about $72.50 each. Obviously not the greatest LEGO score ever, but I can finally stop saying that I've never found a crazy deal at Target.

Thanks for reading,

PB

Hey fellow collectors. So I just came back from one of my local targets here in Dallas and they had clearanced down three sets: the Bat vs Bane Tumbler Chase for 27.98, the Star Wars Umbaran MHC for 34.98 and several of the TMNT Shellraiser sets for 29.98. I picked up one of the Batman sets as well as the Star Wars set and also got my 5% off redcard discount for a total of 64.74. I thought it was decent since they are newer and I hadn't pick them up until now. Was disappointed that there was no LOTR sets though. Anyways, so whats everyone's take on the TMNT set for 29.98? I have heard lots of people talk negatively about the TMNT theme but not sure investment wise if I want to get some, but 50% off seems good....

Here Here! Very well put. On that note, back to Target clearance.

So, finally a good piece of luck at Target for me! I live in the SF Bay Area in Cali, and there is an extremely high demand for LEGO here which leads to very few discounts. Ever the optimist, I still headed out today to check out my local Targets.

Not to any surprise (does that now make me a pessimist?) there wasn't a single set marked on clearance yet, except for one store having MOM for $67. Not even the few scattered MF sets, or any of the Sponge Bob (which there's still tons of) were marked down one bit.

Disappointed as always, I was heading out of the last store and walked by an end-cap which had all the new Castle and Coast Guard sets. I stopped to look at the prices (now I'm back to being an optimist again!), and my eyes almost fell out of the socket when I saw that 70404 King's Castle had a red "Clearance" tag underneath, all the way on the bottom shelf. Thinking for sure it was a mistake, I looked at the first box and sure enough, it had the magic sticker!!! $69.99!!!

They had three, all with th sticker. Needless to say, I grabbed all three. They have some slight damage to the boxes from that stupid anti-theft device which they strap on to the bigger sets, but for a brand new set, 30% ain't too shabby! Plus, I got an extra 5% off from the Red Card, so after tax it was about $72.50 each. Obviously not the greatest LEGO score ever, but I can finally stop saying that I've never found a crazy deal at Target.

Thanks for reading,

PB

If you don't mind me asking, which store was it where you found this? I'm in the same area and have all but given up on ever finding any in-store deals... Encouraging to hear that there may be hope yet.

If you don't mind me asking, which store was it where you found this? I'm in the same area and have all but given up on ever finding any in-store deals... Encouraging to hear that there may be hope yet.

It was the new one in Auto Mall (Christie Street, next to ToysRUs). I'm sure it was a fluke, and I grabbed all three they had, but if you wanna check it out feel free! I plan on going back regularly to see when and if anything else goes on sale.

Is the 20% off Spongebob Lego coupon from the Target website still applicable?

The only thing I found on Clearance at my Target was 76008 at 30% off. The box was really beat up though. Should I have passed? The Iron Man minifig seems to be valuable on its own though.

That's a good deal. As you said thr Iron Man minifig pretty much covers all your cost and you still have the actual set + 1 minifig. It will be a while before it retires, but 30% is almost always good!

That's a good deal. As you said thr Iron Man minifig pretty much covers all your cost and you still have the actual set + 1 minifig. It will be a while before it retires, but 30% is almost always good!

Thanks for the feedback! So is there a market for a set w/o the minifigure?

Thanks for the feedback! So is there a market for a set w/o the minifigure?

In theory. You can see that a lot of people sell only the sets w/o the minifigs, but in this case you also have The Mandarin minifig, so you can pair him with the set and that would make it easier to sell. In the end you would do 2 listings: Iron Man alone, and the set + the Mandarin fig.

So on one of the end caps today I found a Ninjago Jay's Storm Fighter 9442!   I went and scanned it....not in the system.  Got an attendant to scan...not in the system....

Went up to customer service....printed off a discount tag for a grand total of $2.70!!!  My best deal to date...

EDIT:  Although they did get the product wrong and the price tag said it was originally 10 bucks.

Hey fellow collectors. So I just came back from one of my local targets here in Dallas and they had clearanced down three sets: the Bat vs Bane Tumbler Chase for 27.98, the Star Wars Umbaran MHC for 34.98 and several of the TMNT Shellraiser sets for 29.98. I picked up one of the Batman sets as well as the Star Wars set and also got my 5% off redcard discount for a total of 64.74. I thought it was decent since they are newer and I hadn't pick them up until now. Was disappointed that there was no LOTR sets though. Anyways, so whats everyone's take on the TMNT set for 29.98? I have heard lots of people talk negatively about the TMNT theme but not sure investment wise if I want to get some, but 50% off seems good....

The TMNT car falls apart so they are making a new one that is sturdier.  I would hold back on the poorly made one, it just seems like it wouldn't hold value for being defective.

I was surprised to see the Umbarran MHC already getting clearanced.  I didn't find any amazing deals yet, mostly in the 15% off range.  The Helm's Deep sets that I found weren't even clearance stickered, I found that odd.  Also, what Iron Man set are you finding clearanced?  I didn't see anything SuperHeroes that was clearanced except Quinjet and even that was still $55.  Nothing Monster Fighters was clearanced either.

I was surprised to see the Umbarran MHC already getting clearanced.  I didn't find any amazing deals yet, mostly in the 15% off range.  The Helm's Deep sets that I found weren't even clearance stickered, I found that odd.  Also, what Iron Man set are you finding clearanced?  I didn't see anything SuperHeroes that was clearanced except Quinjet and even that was still $55.  Nothing Monster Fighters was clearanced either.

I found 76008 Iron Man vs. The Mandarin Ultimate Showdown clearanced at 30%. It was the only Lego clearance item I found.