**Official** Target July and August Clearance Deals

nolanfan34

I stopped by the closest Target yesterday and actually found a manager in the toy dept. She said they don't have much Lego on hold for July clearance. No Lotr stuff, and the MF sets are still on the shelf at full retail. But, she said that doesn't mean they won't receive surplus items from other stores. I asked if I could have the scoop on when the Lego would be clearanced, and she said sometime in July. She was very nice, but it still felt like yet another strikeout. Guess I'll try again next week.

July 1st and no change on the LEGO status for my local Target stores.  Still nothing marked down.  I did notice that online stock is no longer accurate for the MF Castle though.  Online it says out of stock for a particular store, yet there is at least one sitting on the shelf.  Not that it matters at all, I'm just trying to give you guys something to speculate on in addition to my non-event "nothing on sale post."

I feel like its going to be a flop, atleast in my mind. My local Targets have cleared out all 2012 LOTR sets and i highly doubt they will discount the new LOTR sets they just got in stock. Maybe they will dicount some of the hobbit sets but i wouldnt hold my breath.

I feel like its going to be a flop, atleast in my mind. My local Targets have cleared out all 2012 LOTR sets and i highly doubt they will discount the new LOTR sets they just got in stock. Maybe they will dicount some of the hobbit sets but i wouldnt hold my breath.

In years past, it appears that the older stock gets put in the back room when the new summer toys come out.  Then they will bring it out for a July clearance sale.  The older sets that are missing from your Target may not have been sold, but simply put away for the new sets.  That's the hope at least, keep your hopes up.

A couple days ago I went to my local Target and noticed they did not have any of the 2012 LOTR sets other than Mines of Moria. When I asked one of the employees he went to the back and brought a Helm's Deep and told me they were keeping those in the back for future clearance.

That's good news. Hopefully the stores in my area are keeping extra LEGO sets in the back too. The shelves have been pretty empty of LOTR, MF, and even Star Wars sets at many of my local Targets. 

At the very least, I would expect to see any or all 2012 offerings be on clearance.

At best, the initial release of any 2013 sets from the beginning of the year.

It would not make sense to see the brand new sets for The Lone Ranger or 2nd wave of Lord of the Rings to be on sale (even slightly).

At the very least, I would expect to see any or all 2012 offerings be on clearance.

At best, the initial release of any 2013 sets from the beginning of the year.

It would not make sense to see the brand new sets for The Lone Ranger or 2nd wave of Lord of the Rings to be on sale (even slightly).

Speaking of which, the movie comes out in two days. Here's hoping it's a winner with the kids and they feel compelled to nag their parents into immortalizing their favorite scenes in the LEGO sets. :money:

Speaking of which, the movie comes out in two days. Here's hoping it's a winner with the kids and they feel compelled to nag their parents into immortalizing their favorite scenes in the LEGO sets. :money:

Here's the clencher. If the movie excels, stores will be sold out of the sets and people may look to eBay for them. However, if the movies drops, then the sets won't do so hot at the moment. Either way, you might want to pick up some of each in case 'quick flip' fever is in season. There is a return policy long as you keep the receipt so for those daring to, well, dare, go for it!

I'm going to win either way here, really.

Either the movie drops jaws and every kid and their friend wants the LEGO sets, so investing in this line becomes a winner...

OR

The movie flops, the sets rot on shelves, hit stupid clearance (in my area they might do this anyway), and I can snag some of these for myself. I haven't had a LEGO western set since my Fort Legoredo growing up as a kid.

There's also the possibility that the movie does well but the sets rot, as was the case with POTC: On Stranger Tides. That movie absolutely killed at the box office, but we saw those Boats and sets sit around in stores on clearance for awhile (even where people don't usually see clearance). Then come EOL, those boats just skyrocketed on the secondary market.

Yeah, it's going to be the kids perspective that drives the set sales, which is why the success of the movie will have a limited impact.

On the secondary market though, I think we'll have a better shot at good investments if the movie does well as opposed to bombing.

Its got a 31 on rotten tomatoes.

Keep in mind, because the movie isn't out yet, that this is mostly a critic's-only score. I could've told you that movie critics weren't going to be wowed by this movie. The RT number after it hits the Box Office is what I care about.

OR

The movie flops, the sets rot on shelves, hit stupid clearance (in my area they might do this anyway), and I can snag some of these for myself. I haven't had a LEGO western set since my Fort Legoredo growing up as a kid.

Right here is the reason I feel a little comfortable with the Stage Coach and a few of the other sets as investments even if the movie flops. There are just people who love the western theme and from what I understand Lego hasn't produced western sets in a long while.

Keep in mind, because the movie isn't out yet, that this is mostly a critic's-only score. I could've told you that movie critics weren't going to be wowed by this movie. The RT number after it hits the Box Office is what I care about.

I haven't listened to anything critics say in a long time. Remember Ghostbusters? Siskel & Ebert back in the day gave it a thumbs down and criticized the special effects. Oh, and how about Nuns on the Run? Another classic they trashed. When it comes to critiquing, I'll listen to the people.

Guest eightbrick

Is there a Lone Ranger sequel in the works? Just wondering if sets from an original movie rise in demand whenever a sequel comes out.

No word on it yet. That said, I unfortunately doubt the movie will be a big hit; lots of people are predicting Despicable Me 2 will steal the kid's stage.

I went to 7 Targets on the way home from work and I haven't seen any LEGO for sale. But man if there was a big market for Mega Bloks I would be rich! I wonder when the Friends Sets will go on clearance. And I agree it's getting to that time to pull the trigger on those Orc Forges!

Hoping the Friends sets go as well..been holding off on buying things waiting on potential clearance deals.