Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Here's an offer for my Architecture Studio a few days ago:

"Hello k******, I think $200 is a fare offer considering this originally sold for $150. Thank you."

Needless to say, I declined with a very polite message.

Almost a day later:

"Hi K******, I can go up to $250.00. I still think this is fair considering the original cost of this item. Thank you."

I declined the offer again AND included a description of my costs I would have to pay for using eBay & PayPal...

So the seller agreed to take back the set and refund me.   He still stuck to his "moisture moving 2 of the 4 taped sales" story.  Whatever...just admit that someone opened the set whether it was amazon, lego, himself, or the man on the moon.  bottom line is that he should have knew what he was selling and listed it that way.

When it came to return shipping, he really pushed to have me pay 1/2. After a min of talking, i painfully agreed.  I even gave him advice about cracking open the set himself to verify all bags are there since this scenario will happen again when he resells it on ebay. 

Then last night, I updated the ebay resolution case to reflect that we are trying to work it out and mentioned the seller will refund me (item's price, original shipping, and 1/2 of the returned shipping). 

This morning, I get an email stating "I'm not paying for shipping both ways. Again, no retailer does that. Item was as described. You just have a problem with it. You are asking me to pay basically $40 for shipping because you weren't happy that a piece of tape moved due to moisture and weight of the box. I'm not going $40 into the hole on this because of that."

I replied, "...With regards to original shipping, I'm not paying 100% - I deserve a refund.  When items arrive from amazon, target, etc... they do not charge for return shipping when item arrive not as describe. If you prefer, we can let eBay handle it. "

The he quickly emailed, "If you want the shipping refunded, then I will refund all $25, but I'm not paying for the return shipping back to me. That's on you."

I was done with him.  I updated the case with, "The seller doesn't want to refund my original shipping fee (although it cost him $18 while charging me $25) and pay for return shipping,  Why should I pay all for these shipping fees when the product did not arrive as described?  Please escalate the case to eBay."

I haven't read everything in this case but wouldn't it just be easier to open the box and check the contents?  If you bought this for resale, I doubt it would really hurt how much you could get for the set.  Maybe ask for a small refund. 

Here is the one I use when trying to get better deals: "I would like to offer you 50% off of your asking price for this item because I am a married man with 3 girlfriends on the side. I have kids from 6 different women and am flat broke because the judge has ordered me to pay child support and alimony. I want to keep all 25 of my kids happy and don't have the money (the rest of my money is spent on tobacco, liquor, and adult movies) please help me out to keep my little tax write offs, I mean, kids happy". It works every time.

I haven't read everything in this case but wouldn't it just be easier to open the box and check the contents? If you bought this for resale, I doubt it would really hurt how much you could get for the set. Maybe ask for a small refund.

Oh, I tried that option to end this ordeal. He won't do it.

Then again, what happens if I open it and find something missing. Then things will get really messy.

Prob a good idea just to return it.

Hi Guys,

I have a question and hope its okay to post it in this thread. I bought an item of ebay and the seller put more than usual for delivery. I still got a good price for the Lego so went ahead and bid, and won. I received the item yesterday. All the seller did was wrap it in bubble wrap and stick my address on it. It's been crushed somewhat in transit.

What would be best to do here? I figure I could contact the seller and ask for a refund in shipping and keep the item. Or receive a full refund and return the item. He still hasn't responded to my message. Should I wait a little longer or just raise a dispute?

Thanks Guys!

LegoPizza

If you want it to build and the box doesn't matter, I'd let the seller know privately that his shipping isn't adequate, or I'd leave appropriate feedback of same, whichever you prefer.

If you bought it for resale (so the box matters a little) or if you personally collect boxes and the box condition matters, then you can simply open a case that you want to return it for a full refund due to the item not being as described (i.e, it didn't start its journey to you in a crushed box that was disclosed in the listing).

The seller may offer you a partial refund instead, which you can take if you want to.

It was polite of you to contact the seller directly, but basically opening a case is how eBay wants buyers and sellers to handle these things - it helps them evaluate both shady buyers and inept sellers.

Hi Guys,

I have a question and hope its okay to post it in this thread. I bought an item of ebay and the seller put more than usual for delivery. I still got a good price for the Lego so went ahead and bid, and won. I received the item yesterday. All the seller did was wrap it in bubble wrap and stick my address on it. It's been crushed somewhat in transit.

What would be best to do here? I figure I could contact the seller and ask for a refund in shipping and keep the item. Or receive a full refund and return the item. He still hasn't responded to my message. Should I wait a little longer or just raise a dispute?

Thanks Guys!

LegoPizza

File a claim with Ebay. That will light a fire under his lazy butt.

Woke up the the following case against me:The whole reason I purchased this product from this particular seller was due to the fast shipping, as I needed it for a gift for this weekend, when I purchased it the delivery date was on or before Friday January 17th. I contacted the seller asking for the shipping code and was told they would send it to me as soon as they shipped it, and that they would be shipping it that day, however when I received the shipping code it had stated that they actually waited till the next day to ship it. I imputed the shipping code on fedx tracking and it stated that the product would not be here until jaunuary 25th which is over an additional week away from when it stated! This is unacceptable as now I have to purchase an additional gift, one for the actual bday party and the one that is coming he still wants!oke up to this case against me.

I shipped item with 24 hours. I never said nor why would you think you would get the item in three days. You purchased it this past Tuesday. I knee this was gonna be a problem as this is one of those buyers that send a you a best offer, you counter with this is the best I csn do. Continues to make other offers that are literly pennies off of what you said your best was.

Don't you just love when Ebay buyers blame you when they wait until the last minute to order something and have totally unrealistic delivery times? 

To answer the OP, I think there must be something in the water lately.  I just received a chargeback notification that a buyer was disputing an item that was delivered on 12/6, saying he never authorized the charge.  Yet, I had some correspondence with him after he bought the item and before it was shipped, so don't tell me that he didn't know about the charge.  And why is he claiming this now, over a month after he received the item??   :wacko:  :growl:

Don't you just love when Ebay buyers blame you when they wait until the last minute to order something and have totally unrealistic delivery times? 

To answer the OP, I think there must be something in the water lately.  I just received a chargeback notification that a buyer was disputing an item that was delivered on 12/6, saying he never authorized the charge.  Yet, I had some correspondence with him after he bought the item and before it was shipped, so don't tell me that he didn't know about the charge.  And why is he claiming this now, over a month after he received the item??   :wacko:  :growl:

Nuts.  Hopefully you still have access to the correspondence to keep him from winning the dispute.

But, consider this - he may have just gotten the statement that the charge was on, and if he didn't remember what the charge was for, he may have asked for the charge back until he gets more information.

I've had times where I've looked over my statement, have completely forgotten where I've been and what I've bought, and sworn I was going to dispute a charge.  I've never made it that far - I keep good records, and I usually figure it out after a little while.  But maybe that's happening now?

Nuts.  Hopefully you still have access to the correspondence to keep him from winning the dispute.

But, consider this - he may have just gotten the statement that the charge was on, and if he didn't remember what the charge was for, he may have asked for the charge back until he gets more information.

I've had times where I've looked over my statement, have completely forgotten where I've been and what I've bought, and sworn I was going to dispute a charge.  I've never made it that far - I keep good records, and I usually figure it out after a little while.  But maybe that's happening now?

Yep, I still have the correspondence and mentioned that in my response to the chargeback.

I thought that maybe it was a case of someone just looking at their credit card statement, but wouldn't you do a little research to see if you actually did make the purchase before filing a claim?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Paypal determines. I provided them with online tracking info, which shows the item was delivered.

With tracking showing delivered (and sig confirmation if over $250), you'll be fine. But do offer PayPal the correspondence - with that, they may be able to fight with the credit card company and prevent the buyer from (mistakenly or not) stealing the money from PayPal's protection instead of directly from you. Anything that helps PayPal keep their costs down ultimately benefits all of us paying those costs in the form of fees, anyway.

With tracking showing delivered (and sig confirmation if over $250), you'll be fine. But do offer PayPal the correspondence - with that, they may be able to fight with the credit card company and prevent the buyer from (mistakenly or not) stealing the money from PayPal's protection instead of directly from you. Anything that helps PayPal keep their costs down ultimately benefits all of us paying those costs in the form of fees, anyway.

Absolutely. Thats why I want Ebay and Paypal to come up with a way to stop these people managing to open an account, sell a bunch of stuff and then never ship it. I know Ebay or Paypal is taking the loss on this - otherwise these Aholes wouldn't do it.

Had another one just the other day. Hacked account of a top rated seller. Prices were totally normal AND they managed to hack a a Lego seller! I bought 3 sail barges for 80$ each shipped (thats not crazy low). Never went out.

I got a message from the seller stating that they "came back from Christmas break and their storage unit had been robbed. they were so sorry". I didn't believe them, but said - Hey I have a case open, simply click the refund button. No response.

These guys are getting smarter. And watching for it has cost me a couple of good deals as I spend too long looking over a freaking listing and someone else buys it.

I guess I could list my complaint here. I sold a republic gunship on Ebay in which I took out the minifugres, posted the title that stated NO MINIFIGURES and listed the same in the description. I received an email from one of my recent buyers calling me an ******* for taking out the minifigures and he wanted half of his cost back after shipped it for free. I reported his email to Ebay to be spiteful as I do not appreciate his attack. He then emailed me later on stating he was going to report me becuase I sent a message to Ebay about him. Simply I told him to do so, he could ship the item back to me at his cost, and I would refund him once I was able to verify every last piece was there. Lets see how he likes that!