Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Ugh, sucks, after looking at the user on eBay, looks sort of questionable I agree. If they were a big seller I would be more likely to assume nothing is wrong, but they don't have much of a record, and their only recent purchase is for a set of Series 11 minifigures (from bricksr4kids!), so they might be a minifig collector....

So I purchased a no box Tower Bridge off eBay for $140ish. Seller has over 130+ feedback (from VA). The box arrived last night with nothing in it except an empty sneaker box. Opened an eBay resolution case,. He is telling me the bricks were mailed and the sneaker box was used to fill space. All I have is an empty box with it's shipping label showing 10 lbs that arrived looking like it wasn't tampered with. I'll let him of a case with USPS and let eBay sort it out.

I also purchased an open box 10198 Tantive IV. In the pics, the box was in pretty good shape. Anyway, the seller ships the box in huge box with just Walmart shopping bags for protection. Oh yeah, It was delivered to my door with the shipping box 1/3rd open due to the box having not enough inner stuffing, here is another kicker. The seller taped up the Lego box on both ends with clear shipping tape. At least it is 100% complete so far (just finished manual 1). In the end, it is prob a good thing the Lego box was taped or there would have been a trail or lego elements from his house to mine...

Refund given for the empty box.

10198 turned out to have never been built before (in my opinion) and complete. The minifigs are very tight plus the turntable and hinge bricks were not together (these pieces have always been together in my past open set purchased). Additionally, the white elements are still bright white without any discoloration. All the extra pieces listed on bricklink were also included.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

bought some marvel minifigs and got these all from same seller

"They paid straight cash, Homey! (it was paypal)"

"If you sell it, they will buy!"

"they Pay'd me like I was their Pal"

Member id emhuds101  very weird feedback

bought some marvel minifigs and got these all from same seller

"They paid straight cash, Homey! (it was paypal)"

"If you sell it, they will buy!"

"they Pay'd me like I was their Pal"

Member id emhuds101  very weird feedback

Not sure if this is sarcasm but if it isn't for your info this is DoNotInsertIntoMouths ebay account. Thought this was common knowledge......
  • Like 1

Oddest thing has happened to me on ebay twice this past week and once to my friends. So, I am curious if it has happened to any of you. When you use the BEST OFFER feature has anyone ever offered you ....MORE than the asking price?!?! The fact that I have seen this happen 3 times over the past week and have never seen it prior makes me think something might actually be in the water.

Oddest thing has happened to me on ebay twice this past week and once to my friends. So, I am curious if it has happened to any of you. When you use the BEST OFFER feature has anyone ever offered you ....MORE than the asking price?!?! The fact that I have seen this happen 3 times over the past week and have never seen it prior makes me think something might actually be in the water.

I have not had this. I did have someone yesterday message me to see if I would accept a best offer....on an item that was already sold and shipped. ??

I know that people have been talking about the really annoying fruitcakes on eBay,  but I think that there are actually two types of eBay fruitcakes:

1.  The annoying kind

2.  The gullible kind

I was scanning through the sold listings for Green Grocers and came across this.  A prime example of the gullible kind.  I actually feel sorry for those two people who paid $10,000 dollars for a Green Grocer, but if you look on the bright side, there is some person out there that just made $18,000 dollars. :money:

They didn't pay $10,000. They paid $946 and $836 - check the purchase history.

The $10,000 price was what the seller changed it to after the sale. Most likely to "hold" his place in search while he tried to get more in stock. Then, he ended the listing, probably deciding he wasn't going to be able to acquire more (at which point he'd have reduced the price from $10,000).

The tactic of increasing the price sky-high is common among sellers who have purchase history on an item, because it does somewhat hold a search placement in Cassini, which considers previous sales of that specific eBay listing in where it throws you in search.

Edited to add: The reason for the sky high price is so the item WON'T sell, because the seller didn't have any more. And if by some freak chance it did sell, he knew he could easily acquire the set for way less than $10,000 and fulfill the order.

• Like 2

I feel everyone's pain.  I have been dealing with a frustratingly large amount of jackholes on eBay lately too.  I sell lots of stuff, so I suppose it is more likely for me to encounter more of them, but it is getting tiring.

The other day a guy left me a neutral feedback (the ONLY non-positive on my record after ten years of selling, and 3,000+ positives,) and flat out lied about the product I sold him.  He then proceeded to say that shipping was unreasonable.  I am particularly sick of people doing this.  THE SHIPPING COST IS STATED UP FRONT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, BUY FROM SOMEONE ELSE!!!

People also seem to think they are entitled to a deal on everything now too.  Lately it has been "Can I get a deal on these two things, and get them shipped for free?"  And then of course there is no "please" or "thank you," which automatically makes my answer a no.  I am tempted to say, "No, you can't have a deal, but thank you for alerting me to your existence so I can go ahead and add you to my blocked bidders list."  :)

Sorry for the negativity.  I am salty about that neutral.  The buyer won't respond to me even though I offered to refund some of his money in exchange for a feedback revision.  I feel better for having vented.

They didn't pay $10,000. They paid $946 and $836 - check the purchase history.

The $10,000 price was what the seller changed it to after the sale. Most likely to "hold" his place in search while he tried to get more in stock. Then, he ended the listing, probably deciding he wasn't going to be able to acquire more (at which point he'd have reduced the price from $10,000).

The tactic of increasing the price sky-high is common among sellers who have purchase history on an item, because it does somewhat hold a search placement in Cassini, which considers previous sales of that specific eBay listing in where it throws you in search.

Edited to add: The reason for the sky high price is so the item WON'T sell, because the seller didn't have any more. And if by some freak chance it did sell, he knew he could easily acquire the set for way less than $10,000 and fulfill the order.

Thanks for the correction.  Now I am starting to sound like one of those fruitcakes!  Thankfully, you let me know before the editing feature was disabled, so I replaced what I had said with a funny eBay cartoon.

Doofy, call eBay on the neutral -- there are some good new seller protections in place for feedback, and while I don't know the particulars of this one, if the buyer stated things in the neutral that are specified in the listing, you have a good shot at getting it removed entirely.

Hmm, is it worth it to call eBay for removing a neutral ? I would think they keep a tab on how many times a seller "whine" to them (justified or not, kind of like the insurance companies).  I am keeping my aces for removing the negatives.

So the seller agreed to take back the set and refund me.   He still stuck to his "moisture moving 2 of the 4 taped sales" story.  Whatever...just admit that someone opened the set whether it was amazon, lego, himself, or the man on the moon.  bottom line is that he should have knew what he was selling and listed it that way.

When it came to return shipping, he really pushed to have me pay 1/2. After a min of talking, i painfully agreed.  I even gave him advice about cracking open the set himself to verify all bags are there since this scenario will happen again when he resells it on ebay. 

Then last night, I updated the ebay resolution case to reflect that we are trying to work it out and mentioned the seller will refund me (item's price, original shipping, and 1/2 of the returned shipping). 

This morning, I get an email stating "I'm not paying for shipping both ways. Again, no retailer does that. Item was as described. You just have a problem with it. You are asking me to pay basically $40 for shipping because you weren't happy that a piece of tape moved due to moisture and weight of the box. I'm not going $40 into the hole on this because of that."

I replied, "...With regards to original shipping, I'm not paying 100% - I deserve a refund.  When items arrive from amazon, target, etc... they do not charge for return shipping when item arrive not as describe. If you prefer, we can let eBay handle it. "

The he quickly emailed, "If you want the shipping refunded, then I will refund all $25, but I'm not paying for the return shipping back to me. That's on you."

I was done with him.  I updated the case with, "The seller doesn't want to refund my original shipping fee (although it cost him $18 while charging me $25) and pay for return shipping,  Why should I pay all for these shipping fees when the product did not arrive as described?  Please escalate the case to eBay."

here is what the seller replied with...

----

1st response..

"Glad it arrived, but I'm surprised you think it is not sealed. I ordered that set last year and let it sit in my attic for 1 year before selling to you. I can say for 100% certainty that I didn't open the set or mess with it in any manner. I barely even looked at the box when I got it before storing in the attic. All contents are there.

Again, I know for a fact this was sealed and sent to you just as I received it from Amazon last year. "

2nd response
"I just looked at them. I see what you are talking about with the 3rd picture. However, I go back to my first response that I have never tampered at all with the box or Legos. That is exactly how I received it from Amazon.

I remember when I got the package that it was raining that day and I was concerned about damage to it when I got home, so maybe the moisture affected the tape somehow.

I don't sell unopened boxes or try to pull anything over on eBay. I don't know what else to say as you are trying to take a stranger at his word, but I stand by all my statements that this Lego is 100% sealed and never tampered with by me or anyone else since receiving from Amazon and shipping to you. "

-----

so moisture moved 2 of the 4 tape seals around after lifting them up.  additionally, when the tape was moved, it lifted some of the picture (under it) with it.

ebay id= "mac41099"

Hmm, is it worth it to call eBay for removing a neutral ? I would think they keep a tab on how many times a seller "whine" to them (justified or not, kind of like the insurance companies).  I am keeping my aces for removing the negatives.

Everyone will have to make their own call. I have enough street cred built up with eBay that I don't think they're holding the the two neutrals I had removed last year against me, and for me it was worth getting rid of them because of the affiliated DSR dings.

Plus, they were really both easy removals, very obvious and no he said/she said involved.

Jaison, good call on the escalation. eBay will either force him to pay return and original shipping (because it's a significantly not as described case) or they will reimburse you for same out of their (eBay's) pocket. Either way, the seller is a moron not to make you whole on this one, as eBay will keep track of SNADs like this and will not be amused with sellers who rack up too many of them.