Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Not at all trying to be an A hole here but why would you sell a car on ebay? I know alot of people do but it just seems silly to me.

Yeah I'm sure there are good reasons to sell a car on ebay, just seems like more of a hassle.

Maybe he lives in an area like me.  We don't drive Mercedes, we drive trucks.

Legitimate question.  Ebay reaches a LOT more people than sellings locally.  It is more hassle, But I got $995 more for selling it on ebay than I would've for selling it on craigslist ( listed on CL too, and never got an offer above $9K).  Trading it in would've gotten me about $7500.  So it was worth it to me for almost $1K.  barely.

And yes, I live in Texas, so there's a lot more trucks out here than Mercedes  :)

• Like 1

Legitimate question. Ebay reaches a LOT more people than sellings locally. It is more hassle, But I got $995 more for selling it on ebay than I would've for selling it on craigslist ( listed on CL too, and never got an offer above $9K). Trading it in would've gotten me about $7500. So it was worth it to me for almost $1K. barely.

And yes, I live in Texas, so there's a lot more trucks out here than Mercedes :)

But after the fees isn't that extra 975 a non factor. Maybe I'm clueless as I have heard vehicles are structured differnt thsn standard ebay items.

Guest TabbyBoy

Buyer just contacted me to say "I've been to the post office and they don't have my item, can you please help me and I'll remove the feedback immediately."

This was weeks after it being sent so not surprised it wasn't there (I have proof of attempted delivery). I asked at the time for a copy of the "while you were out" card to be sent to me and it wasn't. Hence, the importance of tracking for medium/high value sets. How could this person leave negative feedback within 2 days when I clearly state a 2-3 day lead time and 2nd class postage (2 days)? I don't need this business so buyer was immediately blocked. Buyers can also claim the full amount from the Royal Mail (I can't as I have proof of attempted delivery) and they are good at compensating. However, this buyer hasn't bothered even though I couldn't have made instructions any clearer. I also called their post office and no effort was made to collect the item and they believe it's been delivered successfully.

My reply just now was, "Don't worry, eBay have already removed the unfair negative feedback that you left me and I've been advised to take no further action."

Guest TabbyBoy

Amen brother. I have a Dodge Caravan and a Saturn SL1. I stick out like a turd in a punch bowl here.

That reminds me... I put a Lion Bar in a swimming pool as a joke once when I was a kid and it was closed for 2 days!

My employer is based in DFW and I they're not short of a few bob.  I remember going to a steak house and saw a bottle of wine on the menu for $75,000 !  Not the most expensive I've seen, that was in Harrods at

I just sold a car on eBay for the first time.  With my hundreds of experiences of selling Legos and miscellaneous items, none of them compare to the frustration of selling a car.  I sold it three times before a buyer actually paid.  She bought it for $9900.  So many stupid messages: 

1. "too many miles, not worth more than $7000"  really?  Strange, I've turned down 8 offers for $9000, but since you said it's not worth more than $7k, I guess you can have it!

2. "seems fishy, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole."  This was a random out-of-nowhere email.  Okay, um, thanks for letting me know you're NOT going to buy my car.  Maybe you should let everyone on ebay know that you're not buying something from them."

3. "you're asking too much.  [offers $7k] You should list it as auction to see what it's worth"  I'm asking too much?  you're offering too little.  Maybe you should offer me $20,000 to see how much I'll take for it.

4.  "I'm a college student and don't have much money"  No.  You may not buy a used MERCEDES-BENZ and say you're short on money.  you'll be out of money after the first minor repair.  Buy a honda.

5.  "will you trade?"  Yes, I will trade my car for your money.  No, I won't trade my car for your older, crappier, cheaper car.

All of my lego sales combined havent been as frustrating as this was.  I'd like to go back to all the idiots and say, "in your face, I sold it for the amount I wanted!"  Alas, I always stick with my police, "thanks for your interest, but I am not able do that at this time."  I'd hate for someone to ruin my perfect feedback.

Rant Over.

At least when the buyer gets the car, she can't say it's not built as in the picture.  that's just ridiculous.

I can understand being a bit upset about selling three times before getting paid. What I don't understand is why get so upset with people that offer less. People are used to haggling over price for cars so what is the harm in trying to get it for less? If the offer is too low just move on. I don't understand getting all that worked up over it.

Guest TabbyBoy

I was thinking of selling my currently let-out apartment on eBay now that UK property prices have risen enough for me to cash in. The problem is that I don't have the original box or instructions!

I was thinking of selling my currently let-out apartment on eBay now that UK property prices have risen enough for me to cash in. The problem is that I don't have the original box or instructions!

Haha, you should part it out mate. Copper piping is fetching good prices these days. :D

• Like 1

Recent feedback, "Had cigarette smell heavily but item was great".  This was an example of negative, but positive feedback.

My listings say the items come from a Smoke and Pet Free Home.  The buyer never tried to contact me either.  The only way it could have happened is if the USPS package handlers or delivery person smoked around the package.  I actually saw the Wal-Mart stock person pull this set directly from the factory case.

Fun!

Last night I had someone offer me $26.00, yes $26.00 for my NISB Architecture Studio, I declined, not even worth the counter, they offered again, $40.00 this time, so now I'm annoyed and I countered for a dollar less than my asking price and said that if they made one more stupid offer I'd ban them from ever being able to bid on my auctions

• Like 3

Last night I had someone offer me $26.00, yes $26.00 for my NISB Architecture Studio, I declined, not even worth the counter, they offered again, $40.00 this time, so now I'm annoyed and I countered for a dollar less than my asking price and said that if they made one more stupid offer I'd ban them from ever being able to bid on my auctions

Just set up your listing with an auto-decline.

• Like 1

And this is the reason why I never use the Best Offer feature. It can be useful, but too often it's a waste of time.

Just pick the price you want and list it at that. Done!

• Like 4

I have been looking for a place to post this lately and looks like I can do it here...........It absolutely makes my blood boil when someone doesn't leave feedback. I would have at least 50 more feedbacks if everyone left feedback like they were supposed to do. In my mind its part of the purchase agreement!! DAMN YOU LAZY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

I can't disagree more. Feedback is optional. I happen to leave it, but i do it in big batches every so often which often ticks people off.

• Like 2

Same situation here now. A seller used "buy now" for maybe 1/10 of the value of a set. I bought and paid. Turns out, it was a mistake and it was supposed to be an auction instead - at least that is what the seller now claims via messages that could use a little friendliness. He listed a similar set again as auction. However, neither do I so far have a shipping confirmation, nor my money back. I would think that if you do a mistake like that you would make sure you at least refund immediately. It will be "interesting" how this ends. I will have to give it some time probably.

Same situation here now. A seller used "buy now" for maybe 1/10 of the value of a set. I bought and paid. Turns out, it was a mistake and it was supposed to be an auction instead - at least that is what the seller now claims via messages that could use a little friendliness. He listed a similar set again as auction. However, neither do I so far have a shipping confirmation, nor my money back. I would think that if you do a mistake like that you would make sure you at least refund immediately. It will be "interesting" how this ends. I will have to give it some time probably.

did you pay with a credit card?  I believe CC refunds get credited to your CC statement as opposed to going directly into your paypal balance.

Obviously you need to open a case with eBay if the seller doesn't refund you. Whether or not you leave negative feedback is matter of opinion.

I used to think "yes" leave negative on something like this - seller screwed up. Now that I've been selling for about a year, I realize mistakes do happen. If the seller apologizes and refunds money, I would lean towards not leaving negative.....probably just not leave any.

--------------------

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/mo-state-bricks

With the spring update, seller cancelled transactions will be counted as a defect against them. No matter how many "bad" things happen with a single transaction, it only counts as one defect against the seller's account (if the seller cancels and you leave bad feedback, for example, either or both of those things count only once against them.)

So, if the seller is stupid enough to cancel a transaction for any reason that he could possibly prevent, he's going to end up suitably punished by eBay (if this is a habit with him) and as a buyer you don't have to worry about anything other than not accepting a cancellation request from him if it says something like "buyer changed mind" or "buyer and I agreed not to complete" (since those types of cancellations don't count against him.)