Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

You should never have let the situation go this long. Yes, the buyer is a fruitcake or dead or in prison or catastrophically disorganized, but none of that excuses a failure on your part to ship what he has paid for.

At this stage, I would refund in full, and eat two sets of final value fees. For future, give the buyer a deadline to combine shipping with payment in full of about 3 to 7 days, and if they haven't you ship what they have paid for and treat the rest as a separate transaction.

You should never have let the situation go this long. Yes, the buyer is a fruitcake or dead or in prison or catastrophically disorganized, but none of that excuses a failure on your part to ship what he has paid for.

At this stage, I would refund in full, and eat two sets of final value fees. For future, give the buyer a deadline to combine shipping with payment in full of about 3 to 7 days, and if they haven't you ship what they have paid for and treat the rest as a separate transaction.

Absolutely. There is no reason to go anywhere with it. Refund the money because if he comes back and opens something, you are going to have nothing to stop him from leaving you negative feedback, etc.

You should have shipped the set he paid for and offered a cancellation on the second as it seems it was most likely an error purchasing 2.You could of cancelled even if he didnt respond after 7 days and you would have fulfilled your obligations by sending him what he paid for. It happens often a buyer may buy something twice "not knowing the fist time if it worked" Its your call what to do now and what feels right with you.

• Like 1

Appreciate the imput. Just more curious if anyone dealt with something like this before

Absolutely. Non-communicative buyers, flaky buyers, and even as I mentioned dead or hospitalized or evicted or imprisoned buyers are all something that most sellers of any volume and longevity will have to deal with occasionally in their careers.

That's why it's extremely important that as a seller you are on top of things and holding up your end of the bargain in those situations, either by shipping or refunding, in a more timely manner.

I ask people to combine shipping and ask for a slight discount pretty frequently on eBay when I am buying something. I put it right out there that they can split the difference, so they still make $ and i get a slight break... Win Win in my mind. 

I have had a few people refuse, next time they refuse I think I am going to buy both and request they ship in separate boxes.. Its just dumb business and really irritates me...end rant...

Alpine,

I will join the other two members and say the dude should be reported. A winning bid is a contract that needs to be fulfilled. Ooooops my ....

sometimes legit stuff happens, i mad my nephew come over and open up WiiU games that i was selling and I didn't realize it until I went to package it, buyer was quite understanding though and I refunded him rather than sending an opened game that I sold as an unopened one

I ask people to combine shipping and ask for a slight discount pretty frequently on eBay when I am buying something. I put it right out there that they can split the difference, so they still make $ and i get a slight break... Win Win in my mind. 

I have had a few people refuse, next time they refuse I think I am going to buy both and request they ship in separate boxes.. Its just dumb business and really irritates me...end rant...

I offer free shipping on everything and have had people e-mail me and ask me to combine shipping and give them a discount. Uh its free ya zombie.

• Like 2

I offer free shipping on everything and have had people e-mail me and ask me to combine shipping and give them a discount. Uh its free ya zombie.

One guy didn't get his package before Christmas with the ups crap, he told me he was outraged and wanted a discount on his shipping costs so I responded I would gladly do that...it was a free shipping item! Haha

I have a good one.

guy offers on about $250 worth of my stuff - I accept the offers. He lives in a foreign country and evidently expected free shipping since my listing says free shipping.

It does say that - free shipping in the US. The next sentence says "International Shipping is calculated rate". I checked his country - When he put in the offers he saw the right shipping price.

I mean, i would love to ship internationally for cheap - but not possible. I can't eat at $50 shipping cost. lol. Assume he will just cancel.

I have a good one.

guy offers on about $250 worth of my stuff - I accept the offers. He lives in a foreign country and evidently expected free shipping since my listing says free shipping.

It does say that - free shipping in the US. The next sentence says "International Shipping is calculated rate". I checked his country - When he put in the offers he saw the right shipping price.

I mean, i would love to ship internationally for cheap - but not possible. I can't eat at $50 shipping cost. lol. Assume he will just cancel.

Just had that happen, has a set some.guy messaged me a asked if the shipping was free to Israel. Good try bud.

• Like 2

Just had that happen, has a set some.guy messaged me a asked if the shipping was free to Israel. Good try bud.

Got a guy from Italy, bids on an auction that I expressly said no Internationals.....he seems like a good enough guy....so I start the ball rolling on fufilling the transaction.  15lb item is like 60.00 to Italy....he tells me it should be no more than 18.00. Now in a dispute with him. 

Got a guy from Italy, bids on an auction that I expressly said no Internationals.....he seems like a good enough guy....so I start the ball rolling on fufilling the transaction.  15lb item is like 60.00 to Italy....he tells me it should be no more than 18.00. Now in a dispute with him. 

in the dispute, upload a screen shot of the USPS.com (or paypal.com) shipping cost estimate showing weight, box dimensions, options, etc... 

• Like 2

I explicitly block Italy from all of my listings. They have a weird ban on all toys not made out of wood. I know it is 50/50 chance the customs will catch this and delay shipping, but why take the chance?

Did you have that shipping quote in eBay invoice you sent him ? It is most likely best just to have him request cancelation for the whole transaction.

• Like 1

I explicitly block Italy from all of my listings. They have a weird ban on all toys not made out of wood. I know it is 50/50 chance the customs will catch this and delay shipping, but why take the chance?

Did you have that shipping quote in eBay invoice you sent him ? It is most likely best just to have him request cancelation for the whole transaction.

Huh? Thats weird. I have shipped to Italy several times. May need to rethink that.

I didn't know that....but I did see online that a lot of people do block Italy.

I didn't send him an official invoice....but messaged him with what the shipping would be.  We went back and forth a couple of times....to the point where he agreed to cancel the transaction and I'd set up ANOTHER personal auction for the part of the auction he really wanted (It was a Simpsons figure/playset auction....he didn't want the playsets...just the figures).  I told him the new shipping on the 7lb figures lot would be like 45.00....and he balked at that (saying it should only have been 18.00).  I filed a cancelation for the original 7 days ago and he hasn't responded....so I guess he lost interest.