Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

1 minute ago, Gondorian said:

Well, that's surely different because I would hope that Google Adsense can't link your eBay account and your BP account just from what is collected in the browser to know not to advertise back to you.

True. Didn't think that one through enough :)

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

The posts above make it look like eBay encourages shill bidding after all. Just mention the endless self-adverts if they catch you shill bidding ;-)

They are really screwing up now and eBayers can only put up with so much. I'm done with them after Easter.

On 2/28/2017 at 1:28 PM, Gondorian said:

Sorry to be quoting something 2 weeks old, but I wanted to come back to give details about what happened in my case.

This morning, I got an email from PayPal telling me they had resolved the dispute in the buyer's favour and I would therefore lose my £179.95 as well as pay a £14 fee for there being a chargeback and the case was now closed! Needless to say, I was f**king livid. I had supplied all the proof of delivery they needed to show I was covered with Seller Protection and explained how I had an eBay message that confirmed to me which postcode to use from the two that had been entered as the PayPal delivery address. I think some moron must have handled it because the status details were set to:

We have reviewed the case. Because you have not met Seller Protection performance requirements, the transaction will be reversed. The case is now closed."

I phoned them up (freephone number) and thankfully it was a competent human being on the end (Gary was his name) who listened to all the details and said that I should be protected and he would escalate it.  That was about 6 hours ago. I just got another email from PayPal telling me I was being given back the £179.95 and the £14 chargeback fee. It now shows up my account as a transfer from "PayPal Balance Adjustment".  Thank you, Gary at PayPal!

So it basically all worked out in the end. Phew! I can't afford to be down £200 right now.

After working with PayPal since 2001, I have found that whenever anything goes wrong with them, you can always call them and get the situation fixed. Sometimes it takes a little longer than others, but I've never had a negative overall experience with them, as long as you take the time to explain the situation to someone.

3 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

Not exactly eBay, still a fruitcake though. Local lowballers....waste of my time. 

I've only ever sold on ebay.   When i looked at Amazon years ago its fee was 25% and havent looked at it again.

Tried out bookface just after xmas & was getting offers of £150 - £200 for The disney Castle. Not used to the bookface interface & think its pretty poor.  Maybe its me.

Tried gumtree (CL type) and got offered £75 for Mercedez Benz 42043 even though my ad of £130 was probably the cheapest instock at the time.  Replied back to him saying "sorry mate i sold it for £50 and the buyer will hopefully come pay & pick it up in the next few weeks".  Actually sold it for £150 (ebay) so about £50 profit after fees/postage etc for a damaged box with wear.

eBay is my friend. 

6 minutes ago, MoHu said:

I've only ever sold on ebay.   When i looked at Amazon years ago its fee was 25% and havent looked at it again.

Tried out bookface just after xmas & was getting offers of £150 - £200 for The disney Castle. Not used to the bookface interface & think its pretty poor.  Maybe its me.

Tried gumtree (CL type) and got offered £75 for Mercedez Benz 42043 even though my ad of £130 was probably the cheapest instock at the time.  Replied back to him saying "sorry mate i sold it for £50 and the buyer will hopefully come pay & pick it up in the next few weeks".  Actually sold it for £150 (ebay) so about £50 profit after fees/postage etc for a damaged box with wear.

eBay is my friend. 

EBay's my friend too, but I need more friends. Listing my sets left and right, everywhere I can.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Val-E said:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

How very true... A former neighbour (nextdoor is as close at it gets) is now serving 15yrs at Her Majesty's Hilton!

On 3/2/2017 at 8:02 PM, KShine said:

I am faced with another winner - Does anyone else feel it best to not leave negatives (even if well deserved) for the psychopaths? 

No. I'm generally forgiving...if a seller deserved the negative, I leave the negative. (And then, on Amazon, it is removed. lol. FBA ftw.)

On 3/2/2017 at 10:02 PM, KShine said:

I am faced with another winner - Does anyone else feel it best to not leave negatives (even if well deserved) for the psychopaths? 

I left a negative yesterday, and only feel a little bad. I bought a book I needed which was $91.00. Seller waited 1 week then cancelled the order due to a price increase or some crap. I paid for expedited shipping too. They could have let me know sooner so I could have ordered from someone else. They did not have a perfect rating anyway around 94% so I doubt I changed anything out of the 5000 or so sales ratings they had.

• Like 5

Guest TabbyBoy

Negative service and negative quality deserve a negative reaction and review, quite simply really. If we let poor sellers get away with shoddy service, they won't improve. Of course my buying/selling accounts are separate to save any retaliation.

I had more returns and cancelled orders lately than I've ever had. Buyers don't seem to know how to read the title of listings... or the detailed descriptions... or the sub-condition if listing as new-other until after they've paid and/or received the item.

Today I had someone asking to return the dimensions discs that they bought. Somehow they thought they were ordering just the minifigures.... My listing specifically states "disc only" multiple times. They weren't even expecting to receive a complete set, just the minifigure.

I've also had to send refunds to 3 people in the last 3 days that ordered, paid and then requested a refund 5 minutes later. It's easy to do, but do it 10 times a week and that's $5 in Paypal fees.

My listings specifically state that I don't accept returns, although I will make sure things are right if it's my fault or the package isn't delivered. How do all of you handle buyers that don't read descriptions and then want to return items once they are received and the buyer specifically states "oops, I ordered the wrong thing"?

Guest TabbyBoy
51 minutes ago, SageFly said:

I had more returns and cancelled orders lately than I've ever had. Buyers don't seem to know how to read the title of listings... or the detailed descriptions... or the sub-condition if listing as new-other until after they've paid and/or received the item.

Today I had someone asking to return the dimensions discs that they bought. Somehow they thought they were ordering just the minifigures.... My listing specifically states "disc only" multiple times. They weren't even expecting to receive a complete set, just the minifigure.

I've also had to send refunds to 3 people in the last 3 days that ordered, paid and then requested a refund 5 minutes later. It's easy to do, but do it 10 times a week and that's $5 in Paypal fees.

My listings specifically state that I don't accept returns, although I will make sure things are right if it's my fault or the package isn't delivered. How do all of you handle buyers that don't read descriptions and then want to return items once they are received and the buyer specifically states "oops, I ordered the wrong thing"?

I put anything "unusual" in bold font so that it stands out. I even include a photo of the tiniest box defect and also mention this very clearly. For example, if a box is damaged/worn, I state this in the title and both beginning and end of description. So far, all buyers have noticed, but I do have concerns with non-English speaking buyers who may misinterpret my wording. If a buyer moans, I invite them to open a case with eBay.

The biggest fruitcake is eBay themselves for putting fees up yet again and being increasing difficult to deal with when there's a problem. Also, their security sucks as there's been recent increases in scammed accounts. It's was 20% of my recent >£100 items so I'm no longer using eBay for them.

Change your listings to Returns Accepted at Buyers Expense. Select 20% restocking fee. You will never lose money on a return again.
  • Like 2

Is Signature Confirmation a smart thing to do anymore?  New experience has got me wondering.

A couple months ago, sold a SSD and then after it was shipped, was notified that there was a disputed chargeback.  Had signature confirmation, but it looked like it was having trouble being delivered.  I responded to paypal that I had done everything they asked of me and the case sat there for a few days while I watched FedEx try to deliver the package.  It was clearly a fraudulent case once I did some social media digging on the customer.

Eventually, it was signed for though (scammers have some guts) and paypal backed me up.

Now, I just sent a 10240 out.  I elect to do SC as well because it is over my comfort price.  The buyer isn't available and it goes back to FedEx for the night.  From the tracking number (785588841403) it appears that the customer requested FedEx to hold it at a shipping location for pickup.  Two weeks go by and they do not pick it up.  Then FedEx makes a final delivery attempt and decides to return it to me (still waiting for it to make it back).

Meanwhile, the buyer does a chargeback request.  They never contacted me through ebay so I suspect this is probably also fraud or junior got a hold of mom's credit card and didn't realize they'd have to sign for it.

I responded to the case that I was out $29 for shipping and that I had done all the necessary steps and that even if the item was returned, I'd expect the buyer to be out the shipping costs.  Well, paypal decided I wasn't covered by seller protection and I further owed them $20 for the chargeback.  So, out $49.

I'm assuming this is because it was never delivered.

So, this begs the question.  Should we just err on the side of getting the package delivered all the time and assume that seller protection will always work?  It will save me money since I'm paying for the SC out of my own pocket above what the buyer paid for shipping.  As long as the Seller Protection wasn't at the cost ($750?) required for SC?

23 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

Is Signature Confirmation a smart thing to do anymore?  New experience has got me wondering.

A couple months ago, sold a SSD and then after it was shipped, was notified that there was a disputed chargeback.  Had signature confirmation, but it looked like it was having trouble being delivered.  I responded to paypal that I had done everything they asked of me and the case sat there for a few days while I watched FedEx try to deliver the package.  It was clearly a fraudulent case once I did some social media digging on the customer.

Eventually, it was signed for though (scammers have some guts) and paypal backed me up.

Now, I just sent a 10240 out.  I elect to do SC as well because it is over my comfort price.  The buyer isn't available and it goes back to FedEx for the night.  From the tracking number (785588841403) it appears that the customer requested FedEx to hold it at a shipping location for pickup.  Two weeks go by and they do not pick it up.  Then FedEx makes a final delivery attempt and decides to return it to me (still waiting for it to make it back).

Meanwhile, the buyer does a chargeback request.  They never contacted me through ebay so I suspect this is probably also fraud or junior got a hold of mom's credit card and didn't realize they'd have to sign for it.

I responded to the case that I was out $29 for shipping and that I had done all the necessary steps and that even if the item was returned, I'd expect the buyer to be out the shipping costs.  Well, paypal decided I wasn't covered by seller protection and I further owed them $20 for the chargeback.  So, out $49.

I'm assuming this is because it was never delivered.

So, this begs the question.  Should we just err on the side of getting the package delivered all the time and assume that seller protection will always work?  It will save me money since I'm paying for the SC out of my own pocket above what the buyer paid for shipping.  As long as the Seller Protection wasn't at the cost ($750?) required for SC?

FedEx & UPS allow you to recall the package before delivery. USPS does not. I would've called & recalled it rather than possibly letting a scammer receive it.

Edited by dcdfan

Well, that's the optimal outcome, but from the policy, it doesn't seem that paypal cares.  As long as it was shipped to the address and is marked delivered, they don't care how it was actually delivered.

One thing I'm noticing in the paypal policy is that you are supposed to be covered under seller protection if you have proof of shipment and an Unauthorized Transaction chargeback was filed.  They only require proof of delivery for Item Not Received cases.  So, the tracking info I provided should cover me since paypal's reason for dispute was "Unauthorized Payment."

I'm going to call them now and at least try to get the $20 chargeback fee reversed.

• Like 1