Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

100% of what I sell gets scanned in when I drop it off at the post office (gasp) and walk out with a receipt . I am pretty sure the time getting scanned into the system affects your ebay or amazon metrics.  I am too much of a control freak to leave something like my performance metrics to the discretion of someone who is not motivated like me.    I sold 225 items last month on amazon so i visit the post office every single day.  I live in a rural area and have 3 decent choices to go where there is infrequently a line.  2 of the 3 the staff are nice and friendly when i show up with 12- 20 items to scan in.  the 3rd office usually moans about having to scan everything in on a receipt which is why I avoid going there (even though its the closest to my house).  the receipt gets tossed in to the first trash can i pass because once its been scanned it is showing online.

I drive 15 miles and Mabel the phone operator scans mine all while punching down calls.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

i think I'd quit selling if I had to deal with Chicago usps like I use to.

I recently moved and am considering giving up on usps as they are really bad in Houston. Maybe it's just a big city problem? I have tried 6 post offices here also and all really bad. I have never had an issue anywhere else I have lived.

I recently moved and am considering giving up on usps as they are really bad in Houston. Maybe it's just a big city problem? I have tried 6 post offices here also and all really bad. I have never had an issue anywhere else I have lived.

I moved back in November. Had major problems with local post office. Not picking up scheduled pickups. Taking mail for pickups out of the mailbox and leaving it on packages (that never got picked up). Filed a complaint on USPS.com. Got a call within an hour from the local PO head supervisor. He apologized greatly and was in shock when I told him what was happening. Gave me his personal number and said "any problem going forward, call me immediately". Well. 3 days later I get home at 5:30pm. Packages still here. Mail already delivered. Called him and told him what happened. Mail truck here within 10 minutes. Never a problem since then. Sometimes pick up is later in day (after 5pm) but at least it's picked up. And mail delivery has been extremely fast internationally . To Canada a week ago package got there in 3 days. Same to U.K. Yet shipping an hour away takes 5 days.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, brickelements said:

Now hold on there a second.  I took the time to ask a few of my local post office workers.  The response I got while surprising made sense.

Most prepaid labels are offered at a discount to the USPS over the counter rates, some discounts are substantial.  I was told our local post master set a policy (Maybe USPS wide) that the discounted rate does not pay enough to support time taken from paying retail paying customers, hourly wages and supplies (receipts etc) for each package to be scanned and a receipt given.  So it is not in their best interest to scan a prepaid label and print receipt for each customer who brings them in. 

I have brought hundreds of packages to three different USPS office in my area...some would scan because they knew me others adhered to the policy.

Loosely paraphrased.

YMMV.

He should have said that to whoever had the brilliant idea of letting Chinese sellers mail their junks to the US for 1/10th of actual costs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Salimr said:

I made a mistake once as I entered the UPC code and a different item picture came up in one of the photos. I was very grateful someone let me know before it sold and I corrected the listing 

yeah, that's been a common problem w/ eBay.  i also hope when this auto item detail feature is used, video reviews by people like The brick Queen will seen be removed from my listings.

Guest TabbyBoy
22 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

What's up with Red Five on ebay, there's some really weirdly low prices at the moment.

It's a great buy for £14.99 and even I would buy one back for that!

Even with the "proper" prices, it's not looking too clever, glad I dumped mine when I did.

Edited by TabbyBoy

32 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's a great buy for £14.99 and even I would buy one back for that!

Even with the "proper" prices, it's not looking too clever, glad I dumped mine when I did.

Definitely something odd happening across the board, Architecture Capitol Building and Imperial Hotel for less than €15

8 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

What's up with Red Five on ebay, there's some really weirdly low prices at the moment.

Looking at the seller info i wouldnt even risk giving my personal info to an alleged "scam".  

The guy that bought 5 surely cant believe it will arrive?

On 2/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

eBay assurance means nothing when it comes to Paypal chargebacks.  

You already provided the needed information to Paypal.  The only thing you can do now is pray that your case is being handled by a competent Paypal agent and not by a few morons Paypal keep in their payroll for whatever reason. 

Sorry to be quoting something 2 weeks old, but I wanted to come back to give details about what happened in my case.

This morning, I got an email from PayPal telling me they had resolved the dispute in the buyer's favour and I would therefore lose my £179.95 as well as pay a £14 fee for there being a chargeback and the case was now closed! Needless to say, I was f**king livid. I had supplied all the proof of delivery they needed to show I was covered with Seller Protection and explained how I had an eBay message that confirmed to me which postcode to use from the two that had been entered as the PayPal delivery address. I think some moron must have handled it because the status details were set to:

We have reviewed the case. Because you have not met Seller Protection performance requirements, the transaction will be reversed. The case is now closed."

I phoned them up (freephone number) and thankfully it was a competent human being on the end (Gary was his name) who listened to all the details and said that I should be protected and he would escalate it.  That was about 6 hours ago. I just got another email from PayPal telling me I was being given back the £179.95 and the £14 chargeback fee. It now shows up my account as a transfer from "PayPal Balance Adjustment".  Thank you, Gary at PayPal!

So it basically all worked out in the end. Phew! I can't afford to be down £200 right now.

• Like 8

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Gondorian said:

Sorry to be quoting something 2 weeks old, but I wanted to come back to give details about what happened in my case.

This morning, I got an email from PayPal telling me they had resolved the dispute in the buyer's favour and I would therefore lose my £179.95 as well as pay a £14 fee for there being a chargeback and the case was now closed! Needless to say, I was f**king livid. I had supplied all the proof of delivery they needed to show I was covered with Seller Protection and explained how I had an eBay message that confirmed to me which postcode to use from the two that had been entered as the PayPal delivery address. I think some moron must have handled it because the status details were set to:

We have reviewed the case. Because you have not met Seller Protection performance requirements, the transaction will be reversed. The case is now closed."

I phoned them up (freephone number) and thankfully it was a competent human being on the end (Gary was his name) who listened to all the details and said that I should be protected and he would escalate it.  That was about 6 hours ago. I just got another email from PayPal telling me I was being given back the £179.95 and the £14 chargeback fee. It now shows up my account as a transfer from "PayPal Balance Adjustment".  Thank you, Gary at PayPal!

So it basically all worked out in the end. Phew! I can't afford to be down £200 right now.

Threaten them with Trading Standards if you get fobbed off again. Some cretins at PayPal (and eBay) deserve to be on jobseeker's allowance. Glad you got sorted. I no longer sell anything >£100 on eBay. It's just too unsafe now for sellers and they respond by... putting the f***ing fees up! Grrr!

Cool, we just hit 4000 replies here.

I'd like to mark the occasion by talking about the king of the fruitcakes itself: eBay.

Sometimes I get email alerts about sets I have viewed that I am selling myself. It's to my eBay account email address about a set being sold by that same account. How dumb are they? This happens either when I have dropped the price or if it has a few watchers and not much time left.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Gondorian said:

Cool, we just hit 4000 replies here.

I'd like to mark the occasion by talking about the king of the fruitcakes itself: eBay.

Sometimes I get email alerts about sets I have viewed that I am selling myself. It's to my eBay account email address about a set being sold by that same account. How dumb are they? This happens either when I have dropped the price or if it has a few watchers and not much time left.

I'm getting AdSense/AdChoice ads on this very site (BP.com) from EBay advertising my own items that I've just recently dropped in price. I'm glad they are advertising them, but why on earth to me?

• Like 1

Just now, Phil B said:

I'm getting AdSense/AdChoice ads on this very site (BP.com) from EBay advertising my own items that I've just recently dropped in price. I'm glad they are advertising them, but why on earth to me?

Well, that's surely different because I would hope that Google Adsense can't link your eBay account and your BP account just from what is collected in the browser to know not to advertise back to you.

• Like 1