Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Everyone can get worked up in the heat of the moment.  You did the right thing. Well done. 
I had to (didnt have to but did anyway) apologise to my spouse for raising my voice after the kids denting / creasing a mint 42043 Mercedes-Benz Arocs) box yesterday.  They pulled the lego box out of the parcel box so they could hide in it.  My fault for leaving it in the living room and forgetting kids will be kids.
Its easier to blame others than to accept responsibility for our own miscalculations.   FFS i was only out for two minutes dropping my niece home.

Perfect excuse to spend the weekend with the kids building the set. You'll even maybe get brownie points from your wife
  • Like 1

Only lego set i have ever built was the free batmobile mini build from TRU 2 weeks ago. Built a Power Rangers compatible one but it wasnt lego so it doesnt count.

If the kids show interest in Lego then i'll be there to build it with them.  Otherwise its just another thing to sell for profit.

Edited by MoHu

Need some advice here - A package I sent out was never scanned by the post office after I made a label.  It was only a $13 order (first class mail with delivery confirmation) but I'm still annoyed. All of my packages get picked up by our regular mail carrier at work.  He never scans them at our office - they always get scanned back at the post office.  I ship anywhere between 5 and 20 packages a week so this is a common thing for him to pick up from us.  

I know for a fact it was picked up from my office by the mail person because I printed out labels for 3 other orders at the same time, so they had to have gone out all together.  There's no possibility of theft from my office because it's a family run business.  The 3 other packages I sent out all were delivered.  The weird thing is that I printed out all of the labels on January 31st but there was no post office scan until February 3rd for all 3 packages that were succesfully delivered. 

Do I have any shot of opening an investigation with the USPS?  Or am I totally out of luck here?  I at least want to do my due diligence...

51 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

Need some advice here - A package I sent out was never scanned by the post office after I made a label.  It was only a $13 order (first class mail with delivery confirmation) but I'm still annoyed. All of my packages get picked up by our regular mail carrier at work.  He never scans them at our office - they always get scanned back at the post office.  I ship anywhere between 5 and 20 packages a week so this is a common thing for him to pick up from us.  

I know for a fact it was picked up from my office by the mail person because I printed out labels for 3 other orders at the same time, so they had to have gone out all together.  There's no possibility of theft from my office because it's a family run business.  The 3 other packages I sent out all were delivered.  The weird thing is that I printed out all of the labels on January 31st but there was no post office scan until February 3rd for all 3 packages that were succesfully delivered. 

Do I have any shot of opening an investigation with the USPS?  Or am I totally out of luck here?  I at least want to do my due diligence...

If there is no pickup scan there is nothing to open. They will say they never took possession of it.  The others more than likely were scanned when they reached the next big hub.  Always a possibility it gets scanned later on but 3 weeks is not looking good.  That is only problem with carriers that do not scan on pickup.  Technically no proof they ever took it.   Was it a flat bubble mailer.  Those can get caught in machines and go missing for a long time.  I've had a few get returned in the past to me 3-6 months later all mangled up.  

• Like 1

Anyone know the official USPS policy for scanning upon pickup? Are USPS carriers required to? 

I don't know the policy. I was once told (by a USPS employee) it "should" get scanned at the sorting facility. An origin scan doesn't seem to be a requirement from my experience. I sometimes ask for an origin scan when I drop off at the Post Office, which works.

I am not sure about the absolute policy, but my regular USPS person does scan each package at pickup. One of the temps doesn't scan it right there at the box, but scans them periodically while in the truck.

My regular says that they are supposed to scan them on the spot, but since there can be scanners that can break, etc - I suppose that there is some leeway regarding the policy.

LEGO's "golden" time might have past - But having a great mail carrier is still better than gold. 

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

If you have a regular pickup, you could print out a Scan Form. It's one bar code that, when scanned, marks all shipments associated with it as received. When you do 'bulk shipping' on eBay, you have the option to print one out. More info on this form here:
https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2006/html/pb22192/pb6ktxt.html
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

Think this person was a little bit confused (or drunk, drunk would make a lot of sense) when they put this up.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LEGO-DC-Comics-Super-Heroes-The-Tumbler-76023-/112309928528?hash=item1a26318250:g:7QwAAOSwA3dYlgh2

At least they got the photo right.

Someone is going to be disappointed by the result of that sale.

When I drop off at the post office I almost always wait in line to make sure they are scanned in.  If there's a huge line I don't bother, but have had instances where they weren't scanned until the regional sorting facility which is annoying.  I like the peace of mind that it has been scanned even if it takes me a few minutes more.

Also have a regular for the past 5-6 years that scans everyone one.  She has her temps trained to make sure all mine are scanned when she's not here as well.  Had one guy that said he would do when he got back so I checked and sure enough he did not.  Next week when he came said hey what happened you promised you'd scan them.  He got out his scanner and scanned every time from there on.

Most long time regulars do not like the Print Scan Form as it does not give there mail count the proper credit and just gives them that 1 scan even though all the packages are on it it does not credit to there route properly.  If it is actually a dedicated route driver you have there is no reason for them not to do it as they get time credits for each scan as well so it benefits them.  It is a pretty odd process because another big business moved in here and my lady does not pick them up because they have not had mail count since they moved in and if she picks them up she is not getting paid for any of those scans.  So another driver picks them up instead even though they are in same complex / building.  

As far as the policy back when it first started they were not required to as technically the funding was done online and not credited to the post office.   Therefore it would just usually get scanned at a hub along the way and a delivery scan.  That was all that was really required from original "delivery confirmation".   They used to not scan like they do now though with the way online sales and shipping has progressed especially with there marketing and promoting of shipping for online businesses.   They are supposed to do it now and most do but you always have that one person that does things a different way.  Some drivers scan all there mail delivered before there route that way they don't have to do it one by one which they technically aren't supposed to do either as problems could arise from that.   

If anyone ever tries not to scan I would just say your business is based on shipping metrics and it is imperative they are scanned within 24 hours of payment and if they don't scan it there is not guarantee the next person will.  Can always throw in there if they are not scanned now and it goes missing you guys will say I never gave it to you.  The few that have resisted in past usually wind up doing it.

If you're dropping off you just have no way of knowing for sure if they will do it then or if it gets passed along to another hub.  Usually will get scanned at some point but could be past the on time shipping and if it doesn't and happens to get lost then tough to prove you gave it to them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

lazy

Now hold on there a second.  I took the time to ask a few of my local post office workers.  The response I got while surprising made sense.

Most prepaid labels are offered at a discount to the USPS over the counter rates, some discounts are substantial.  I was told our local post master set a policy (Maybe USPS wide) that the discounted rate does not pay enough to support time taken from paying retail paying customers, hourly wages and supplies (receipts etc) for each package to be scanned and a receipt given.  So it is not in their best interest to scan a prepaid label and print receipt for each customer who brings them in. 

I have brought hundreds of packages to three different USPS office in my area...some would scan because they knew me others adhered to the policy.

Loosely paraphrased.

YMMV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brickelements said:

Now hold on there a second.  I took the time to ask a few of my local post office workers.  The response I got while surprising made sense.

Most prepaid labels are offered at a discount to the USPS over the counter rates, some discounts are substantial.  I was told our local post master set a policy (Maybe USPS wide) that the discounted rate does not pay enough to support time taken from paying retail paying customers, hourly wages and supplies (receipts etc) for each package to be scanned and a receipt given.  So it is not in their best interest to scan a prepaid label and print receipt for each customer who brings them in. 

I have brought hundreds of packages to three different USPS office in my area...some would scan because they knew me others adhered to the policy.

Loosely paraphrased.

YMMV.

It sounds logical, from the standpoint of an individual carrier justifying his/her laziness. From the standpoint of USPS executives....no. It's laughable, really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brickelements said:

Loosely paraphrased.

YMMV.

If you read my first post above I noted that was originally how it was.  You can't do mass promotions as the preferred shipper of ebay and online businesses and not scan your customers packages.  They work very closely with ebay when coming up with those discounts and why ebay started doing the shipping metrics as that was all worked out as well.  Without online business they would not survive at all.  Retail paying customers at the post office are not close to there online business.  

15 minutes ago, brickelements said:

Call me an idiot, but isn´t that EXACTLY what they are paid to do?

Maybe they will do what supermarkets do and get us to scan and pay for our packages ourselves.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Call me an idiot, but isn´t that EXACTLY what they are paid to do?

Maybe they will do what supermarkets do and get us to scan and pay for our packages ourselves.

Yes. And the rates are negotiated with the USPS...they are not imposed on the USPS directly. Although I suppose one could make the argument that the Postal Rate Commission actually "imposes" rates, but that is a weak argument, at its best.

100% of what I sell gets scanned in when I drop it off at the post office (gasp) and walk out with a receipt . I am pretty sure the time getting scanned into the system affects your ebay or amazon metrics.  I am too much of a control freak to leave something like my performance metrics to the discretion of someone who is not motivated like me.    I sold 225 items last month on amazon so i visit the post office every single day.  I live in a rural area and have 3 decent choices to go where there is infrequently a line.  2 of the 3 the staff are nice and friendly when i show up with 12- 20 items to scan in.  the 3rd office usually moans about having to scan everything in on a receipt which is why I avoid going there (even though its the closest to my house).  the receipt gets tossed in to the first trash can i pass because once its been scanned it is showing online.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1