Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

It's very rare, but if a buyer says that a package has arrived damaged (with me knowing that it was securely packaged), I politely reply, "May I ask why you signed for an item in dented packaging that you suspect has been damaged without opening to check it first? Signing for an item shows that you have accepted it." I've done this and most buyers who complained ended up backing down. Of course, I then blocked them from both eBay accounts.
If anybody wants to "cheat" eBay by saying that they received damaged boxes when there we actually mint are in for a surprise. This is because eBay takes a while to shut down accounts so that they can investigate suspect activity first.

That's fine if you require signature. I didn't.

Guys since you have such a broad experience and such with ebay "fruitcakes"
I'd like to share my story from yesterday because I don't know how I should react on this particular one because clearly some "folk' is trying to scam me abusing the system. This is my interpretation.
What's is all about? I've sold on ebay for the first time since I remember Polybag with Batman. I'm not a frequent eBay user or seller with only 25* covered with 100% rating, not a huge deal. 
I've listed Lego Batman Polybags. Two of them on the picture, listed clearly as a one of two available for 24.90 just to QFLL it fast before it spread week later on ebay.
Simple rules: Item in hand, real pictures, no returns, free economy shipping, or signed at additional cost.
Took the the picture of 2 of my polybags with my nickname  on the bottom from ebay, posted it as reference picture of what I do offer.
Sold One, Immediately shipped 2nd class RM in envelope.

2 days later buyer without even initiating any contact with me he opened a dispute with intention to return the item on my cost with attached message:
Quote:
Reason: Doesn't match description or photos

Mate when this gets escalated to eBay your account is getting suspended! I m not even going to bother writing in here what you did because you know! Not cool!

end of quote.

without even explaining the situation he started threatening me with potential consequences if this gets escalated nor providing any minimal information what is this all about.
He clearly got the item at his doorstep and I'm just confused about what is he playing with me since he got exactly for what he paid for at no extra cost.
(maybe he realized week later that the item costs almost half of the price?)
I've been advised to contact straight with ebay to provide them the information, pictures of the letter and confirmation of dispatching.
There was no additional information about weight of the letter on the print slip. Basic information with RM barcode.

Since yesterday when answered to his allegations haven't got any reply from him yet.

Any advice how to deal with it would be much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I've listed Lego Batman Polybags. Two of them on the picture, listed clearly as a one of two available for 24.90 just to QFLL it fast before it spread week later on ebay.
Simple rules: Item in hand, real pictures, no returns, free economy shipping, or signed at additional cost.
Took the the picture of 2 of my polybags with my nickname  on the bottom from ebay, posted it as reference picture of what I do offer.

I'm confused, did you sell him one or two of the polybags?

4 minutes ago, Shewie said:

Guys since you have such a broad experience and such with ebay "fruitcakes"
I'd like to share my story from yesterday because I don't know how I should react on this particular one because clearly some "folk' is trying to scam me abusing the system. This is my interpretation.
What's is all about? I've sold on ebay for the first time since I remember Polybag with Batman. I'm not a frequent eBay user or seller with only 25* covered with 100% rating, not a huge deal. 

2 days later buyer without even initiating any contact with me he opened a dispute with intention to return the item on my cost with attached message:
Quote:
Reason: Doesn't match description or photos

Mate when this gets escalated to eBay your account is getting suspended! I m not even going to bother writing in here what you did because you know! Not cool!

end of quote.

without even explaining the situation he started threatening me with potential consequences if this gets escalated nor providing any minimal information what is this all about.
He clearly got the item at his doorstep and I'm just confused about what is he playing with me since he got exactly for what he paid for at no extra cost.
(maybe he realized week later that the item costs almost half of the price?)
I've been advised to contact straight with ebay to provide them the information, pictures of the letter and confirmation of dispatching.
There was no additional information about weight of the letter on the print slip. Basic information with RM barcode.

Since yesterday when answered to his allegations haven't got any reply from him yet.

Any advice how to deal with it would be much appreciated.

Buyer believed that the listing was for 2 poly bags (regardless of whether they should have known better) - Just accept the return request (you won't win this fight anyway).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I'm confused, did you sell him one or two of the polybags?

there are significant difference between singular and plural right? picture attached. He bought one of two.

@KShine
in the same way I could always request 12 boxes for 20GBP from this seller as the picture represent his offer, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-40220-LONDON-BUS-Brand-New-And-Sealed-/201733079521?hash=item2ef83a81e1:g:2OUAAOSwa~BYPe~v

2017-02-14.png

• Like 1

Yeah, if there are 2 in the pic then an item could be considered to include both. Why leave the door open to confusion?

One could think the buyer took advantage of the ambiguity but ebay will side with them because it´s the seller´s responsibility to list the item in a clear way.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Shewie said:

there are significant difference between singular and plural right? picture attached. He bought one of two.

@KShine
in the same way I could always request 12 boxes for 20GBP from this seller as the picture represent his offer, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-40220-LONDON-BUS-Brand-New-And-Sealed-/201733079521?hash=item2ef83a81e1:g:2OUAAOSwa~BYPe~v

2017-02-14.png

I see you're point on the London busses, but I still agree with Kshine.  The buyer obviously thought he was getting two of these.  I'd request a return and offer a full refund and move on.  In the future, I recommend taking a picture of only one item, so as not to confuse buyers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Sorry, but your customer has a point, the picture is of two of them and the price you got is the going rate for two of them. I'd be annoyed too if I was him.

I really don't get why people feel the need to take photos of multiple items when only selling one.

Yep, agree.  In the future Shewie, if you have multiples and selling them singularly, just take a picture of 1 and input in your quantity available how many you have in inventory.  I didn't read the full listing but neither do most buyers.  We generally skew to the seller on this board as that is what we generally are, but I would think most buyers skimming through would assume 2 polybags are included due to the picture. 

When I am buying, I will avoid listings that are ambiguous on details because I can see there is going to be a problem before it even happens.  Case in point, I was buying a 10212 and a listing said free shipping but in the details he said shipping was $20.  He never replied to my question about which was correct so he lost out on a sale because I didn't want to deal with him.

• Like 1

There will always be instances when a buyer is under the impression of something that isn't true (no matter how cautious you are as a seller).

In instances like this, especially when a buyer has pretty much stated that they believe that you were trying to pull something - you need to go into damage control.

Apologize for the misunderstanding, stress kindly that you would never have the intention of misleading anyone, and ask what you could do to make things right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

@Shewie If anything anyone can summarize from this thread (even just the last 4 pages), is that buyers do not read descriptions. That picture on your listing is just an open invitation for headache down the road 

isn't that the truth.  i recently sold a new LOTR set. 1 day after shipping it, the woman thanked me for shipping it so fast and said it's no big deal instructions weren't included as they can be downloaded by her son.   she'll be in for a huge surprise when the package arrives.

13328526744_ff01157bec_b.jpg

• Like 4

So i sold a Lego R2-D2 10225 on ebay last week, sold the day after listing BIN or best offer, buyer paid the full price.

I went to post it the next day & noticed the postcode didn't match the address "totally different city"

Contacted ebay,  they advised contacting the buyer to get them to correct there address then post.

The buyer got back to me today with the correct postcode & apologised for the mistake,  i posted the set tonight.

I get home 10 minutes later & i have 6 emails from ebay saying the buyers account has been hacked & they have taken the item down, so i nip back to the post office to get the parcel, but the post office won't give me it back until they speak to a supervisor tomorrow. I tell the shop "DO NOT POST IT AL BE BACK!" pick up is tomorrow. 

So after 2 hours on chat with ebay they say i can keep the payment & they will reimburse the buyer ' i said what about the item? Ebay said the scammer will get it. "not if i have anything to do with it"

I will let you not if i get the parcel back tomorrow 

• Like 1