Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

16 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

So, nothing is in the box? 

At that price, I need to sell more boxes. 

I have sold many boxes for big $ - but I haven't looked to sell the shipping boxes for the boxes.

I think I still have some old receipts for the original 10179's, etc - I think I might start listing them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Migration said:

I guess I've simply lost all patience for sellers that behave in less than a professional manner. After the "I'm not sure, let me check" email the correct response from the seller would have been something along the lines of "cool, thank you so much for checking" By calling a customer a liar out of the gate this seller becomes all that is wrong with eBay.

And Amazon third party. Let's not pretend Amazon sellers are any better. 

I design and make jewellery have done for years and ebay is the only place i have issues with re scammers and time wasters.Lost any love i had for eBay years ago.

As a seller i would have told you to keep it.As a buyer even tho he was rude i would just request a returns mail Label and then block him

So, I responded - let's see what kind of pleasant response I receive.

First off, I was not lying (suggesting that was offensive, and is not the best way to convince someone to care about helping you out). Second, I was able to confirm that we did receive an extra set (which you could have just waited to find out) - You can either send me a return label, send me $15 to send it back to you myself, or send me the address of the person who ends up buying it (and I could ship it straight to them, saving you the extra shipping costs).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KShine said:

First off, I was not lying (suggesting that was offensive, and is not the best way to convince someone to care about helping you out). Second, I was able to confirm that we did receive an extra set (which you could have just waited to find out) - You can either send me a return label, send me $15 to send it back to you myself, or send me the address of the person who ends up buying it (and I could ship it straight to them, saving you the extra shipping costs).

You could have followed up with the Homer .gif.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KShine said:

My guess for his response:  "It sure is convenient that you didn't find the set until I called you a liar.  Seems like maybe that was the best way to convince you.  $15 is way to much to pay you to ship it to me, how dare you try to profit off of my honest mistake!  Also, I'm not going to let you keep the set and just trust you to ship it to someone else, since you're obviously an AFSKLL (accidental-free-set-keeping-lowlife).  I'll send you a label, and if I accidentally send you an extra label, you better not keep it."

2 minutes ago, c4dreams said:

My guess for his response:  "It sure is convenient that you didn't find the set until I called you a liar.  Seems like maybe that was the best way to convince you.  $15 is way to much to pay you to ship it to me, how dare you try to profit off of my honest mistake!  Also, I'm not going to let you keep the set and just trust you to ship it to someone else, since you're obviously an AFSKLL (accidental-free-set-keeping-lowlife).  I'll send you a label, and if I accidentally send you an extra label, you better not keep it."

No response yet.

But if they do respond this way, I could also add that I don't have a box to ship it back in (or access to any) - They will need to ship me a self addressed labeled box (plus packing materials of course).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KShine said:

No response yet.

But if they do respond this way, I could also add that I don't have a box to ship it back in (or access to any) - They will need to ship me a self addressed labeled box (plus packing materials of course).

Or just stick the label directly on the LEGO box :)

• Like 5

On 2/8/2017 at 11:04 AM, TabbyBoy said:

OMG is that all?

I once sent a LOTR Ship to one buyer by mistake when I should've sent a Sopwith Camel instead (same sized packing box). The buyer obviously highlighted my mistake and I simply sent the Sopwith Camel immediately and told him to just keep the LOTR Ship. Of Course, he was over the moon, but I only paid £12 for the LOTR ships (Asda price error) and £28 for the Sopwith Camels meaning I still made about £40 profit.

I do the same, it is not worth my time or postage usually for mistakes like that, plus I don't make many :)

So, an update on the £200+ set that I sent to the Czech Republic, that the buyer requested a refund for due to damage to the box. The damage was caused after it arrived at the GSP, as explained earlier. I kept in touch with the buyer explaining that I would not accept the return request straight away as that would mean that I automatically agreed to pay for return postage. I advised him that we wait around 7 days until the case was automatically escalated to a decision by Ebay, which he was happy with. It was escalated yesterday and now the case has been closed, after explaining that I should not be liable for return postage as the damage was caused during Ebay's part of the deal, not mine.

The case has now been closed and the outcome from Ebay is:

"You were not found at fault".

"Any remaining funds from this transaction are available".

"We're issuing the buyer a refund for this case. You don't need to do anything else. This case won't be included when we evaluate seller performance".

So basically, it seems that I've kept all the cash from the sale as if the item had arrived in the condition that it left me in to begin with, and it won't affect my seller performance in any way. Question is, did my man in the Czech republic just get a free Tumbler because it arrived with a dented box? Maybe they just offered him a partial refund? Good work if you can scam and get it ;)

2 things I've learned. Don't send minty expensive sets through GSP if you want to be hassle free, and if you do, don't accept a return straight away, escalate it to Ebay for a decision after the time limit to make sure you don't get charged for return postage etc.

• Like 2

So I have a LEGO item on eBay at $11.99 (buy it now or best offer). Someone sent me a first offer of $11.98. I obviously accepted but have reservations because no other than a fruitcake would make such an offer.

It's possible they made a mistake and meant to type 10.98 or something. However, some people just can't pay full price. They may even hang around these parts...

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

I would have countered at $11.985

4 hours ago, California92563 said:

Alpine would have countered at $12.00.

Now that my fruitcake story has an ending, I'll share.  And it directly relates to @California92563's comment.

Be careful when replying to those folks, because they may become a pain in the ass.

A couple of weeks back, I had an Arkham Asylum up on eBay.  I do BIN, with no Best Offers.  It was up there for $234.95.  Guy drops me a line and says, "I'll give you $200 for it."  I reply back with, "I'll counter with $235.95." (Yes, $1 more).  He replied back with "haha, funny."

I should have blocked him, but forgot.

So, a few days later, without me realizing it, the guy buys it from me (at my BIN price).  I ship it off.  A day after it arrives, I get a note from him: "the package was wet, and water damaged, and there are broken pieces inside."  I think I even posted on here, asking for advice.  He didn't ask for a refund, he didn't ask for a return.  So, I responded with my return policy.  He responded the next day with, "it's for my nephew, I'll let you know what he thinks."

I didn't hear from him for a couple of days.  Everything is good, right?  Well, about this time, I came down with a horrible flu, and was completely offline.  I didn't notice that he put in a request for a refund (but no communication, just the auto generated request for a refund).  Because I was sick and didn't notice, it went ignored.  I suddenly unignored it when I got the note from eBay saying that a case had been opened against me - for "Item No As Described."  30 minutes later, I get the note that eBay has ruled against me, and will be issuing a refund (less postage), once the item has been returned to me.

I did not respond to the buyer.  Just figured I'd wait until it arrives, and see what happens.  Hope and pray that it's still in somewhat of a saleable condition.  Or, that I could at least keep it and that all the minifigs were there.

Today, I got a new note from eBay - the case is closed, and the hold on my fund on Paypal has been released back to me.  Clearly, the buyer never dropped it into the mail.

Now, this buyer had 1,800+ positive feedbacks, with no neutrals or negatives.

My own opinion is that the guy wanted the set for $200.  He didn't appreciate my snarky response.  But he couldn't get it for $200.  So once he committed to buying it for $235, I'm willing to bet he hatched is plan to try to get the $35 back from me.  First, by telling me that it arrived damaged (hoping I'd offer back a partial refund).  And then second, by requesting a refund from me (and from eBay).

He's been blocked by me.  I'm not going to give a snarky response next time.  I'm just going to ignore it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

He's been blocked by me.  I'm not going to give a snarky response next time.  I'm just going to ignore it.

This is the best line, and should be advice for all of you who want to "get back" at a seller/buyer who irks you. Just let it go, don't respond, or respond very objectively and business-like. You have nothing to gain from responding in kind.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

@California92563

My own opinion is that the guy wanted the set for $200.  He didn't appreciate my snarky response.  But he couldn't get it for $200.  So once he committed to buying it for $235, I'm willing to bet he hatched is plan to try to get the $35 back from me.  First, by telling me that it arrived damaged (hoping I'd offer back a partial refund).  And then second, by requesting a refund from me (and from eBay).

I've snipped your quote as to save space on the thread. See my post above and my previous posts about my said item. I think some scammers here and there are just buying stuff and claiming that they're damaged when they arrive to either get a partial or full refund on items. What's to stop them from putting their boot into a box that arrived in pristine condition from GSP etc and saying that they'd like to return it for an international large package postal charge? Someone will be having to sort them out with some cash for their new Lego item (it's your stress then whether it will be you or Ebay). I know what I might do if I ever call it a day with Ebay for good. Just order a couple of mint Grand Emporiums from abroad and then claim that they're mashed up. Get my savings from Ebay, then delete my account and be done with it! (I wouldn't do that, but you know what I'm saying, it's easily done). Not worth the hassle for me personally.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's very rare, but if a buyer says that a package has arrived damaged (with me knowing that it was securely packaged), I politely reply, "May I ask why you signed for an item in dented packaging that you suspect has been damaged without opening to check it first? Signing for an item shows that you have accepted it." I've done this and most buyers who complained ended up backing down. Of course, I then blocked them from both eBay accounts.

If anybody wants to "cheat" eBay by saying that they received damaged boxes when there we actually mint are in for a surprise. This is because eBay takes a while to shut down accounts so that they can investigate suspect activity first.

38 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's very rare, but if a buyer says that a package has arrived damaged (with me knowing that it was securely packaged), I politely reply, "May I ask why you signed for an item in dented packaging that you suspect has been damaged without opening to check it first? Signing for an item shows that you have accepted it." I've done this and most buyers who complained ended up backing down. Of course, I then blocked them from both eBay accounts.

If anybody wants to "cheat" eBay by saying that they received damaged boxes when there we actually mint are in for a surprise. This is because eBay takes a while to shut down accounts so that they can investigate suspect activity first.

Someone has clearly hacked TabbyBoy's account.

• Like 5