Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

1 minute ago, TheBrickClique said:

Well, that's the optimal outcome, but from the policy, it doesn't seem that paypal cares.  As long as it was shipped to the address and is marked delivered, they don't care how it was actually delivered.

One thing I'm noticing in the paypal policy is that you are supposed to be covered under seller protection if you have proof of shipment and an Unauthorized Transaction chargeback was filed.  They only require proof of delivery for Item Not Received cases.  So, the tracking info I provided should cover me since paypal's reason for dispute was "Unauthorized Payment."

I'm going to call them now and at least try to get the $20 chargeback fee reversed.

Paypal should refund a charge back in its entirety as long as you've followed their rules & questions. Save all correspondence & don't talk to them on the phone (unless absolutely necessary).

23 hours ago, SageFly said:

I had more returns and cancelled orders lately than I've ever had. Buyers don't seem to know how to read the title of listings... or the detailed descriptions... or the sub-condition if listing as new-other until after they've paid and/or received the item.

Today I had someone asking to return the dimensions discs that they bought. Somehow they thought they were ordering just the minifigures.... My listing specifically states "disc only" multiple times. They weren't even expecting to receive a complete set, just the minifigure.

I've also had to send refunds to 3 people in the last 3 days that ordered, paid and then requested a refund 5 minutes later. It's easy to do, but do it 10 times a week and that's $5 in Paypal fees.

My listings specifically state that I don't accept returns, although I will make sure things are right if it's my fault or the package isn't delivered. How do all of you handle buyers that don't read descriptions and then want to return items once they are received and the buyer specifically states "oops, I ordered the wrong thing"?

Pictures are the most important part of a listing. Is everything in the picture included in your listing? If not, is everything not included prominently x'ed out (or similar)? A picture = a thousand words, etc etc.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

Is Signature Confirmation a smart thing to do anymore?  New experience has got me wondering.

A couple months ago, sold a SSD and then after it was shipped, was notified that there was a disputed chargeback.  Had signature confirmation, but it looked like it was having trouble being delivered.  I responded to paypal that I had done everything they asked of me and the case sat there for a few days while I watched FedEx try to deliver the package.  It was clearly a fraudulent case once I did some social media digging on the customer.

Eventually, it was signed for though (scammers have some guts) and paypal backed me up.

Now, I just sent a 10240 out.  I elect to do SC as well because it is over my comfort price.  The buyer isn't available and it goes back to FedEx for the night.  From the tracking number (785588841403) it appears that the customer requested FedEx to hold it at a shipping location for pickup.  Two weeks go by and they do not pick it up.  Then FedEx makes a final delivery attempt and decides to return it to me (still waiting for it to make it back).

Meanwhile, the buyer does a chargeback request.  They never contacted me through ebay so I suspect this is probably also fraud or junior got a hold of mom's credit card and didn't realize they'd have to sign for it.

I responded to the case that I was out $29 for shipping and that I had done all the necessary steps and that even if the item was returned, I'd expect the buyer to be out the shipping costs.  Well, paypal decided I wasn't covered by seller protection and I further owed them $20 for the chargeback.  So, out $49.

I'm assuming this is because it was never delivered.

So, this begs the question.  Should we just err on the side of getting the package delivered all the time and assume that seller protection will always work?  It will save me money since I'm paying for the SC out of my own pocket above what the buyer paid for shipping.  As long as the Seller Protection wasn't at the cost ($750?) required for SC?

I would opt for third party insurance if it's over your comfort level. More expensive (for an SSD, anyway), but as long as the carrier scans the package as accepted, you're covered. No games with signing for packages.

Edited by minicoopers11

20 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

FedEx & UPS allow you to recall the package before delivery. USPS does not. I would've called & recalled it rather than possibly letting a scammer receive it.

technically not true, although the percentage is very slim they actually follow through.  UPS isn't perfect either though but much higher results.

https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

PayPal refunded the chargeback fee agreeing I shouldn't be responsible for it. 

They were adamant however that proof of delivery is required for unauthorized chargeback even though the policy states otherwise. According to the rep, each cc company has different chargeback requirements so it depends on the cc used as to how easily PayPal will side with the seller. So probably more relaxed conditions on the ssd where it looked for awhile that I got to keep the money and the ssd was being shipped back before fedex tried one last time and delivered it to the "buyer". 

So I'm still out $29 shipping but I can live with that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

technically not true, although the percentage is very slim they actually follow through.  UPS isn't perfect either though but much higher results.

https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

Years ago, I sold a camera lens worth $2000 through ebay.  Transaction seemed perfectly fine.  Got a cashier's check.  Two days after shipment, ebay says the transaction was fraudulent and not to ship it.  They wouldn't provide any more details.  I'm not sure if I remember all the details perfectly, but basically I was hosed.  This was also before I became a

Of course I was freaked out.  I could see from the tracking info the package hadn't been delivered and I could see from Google street view that the house was in the middle of rural Alabama.  I contacted the local sheriff there and filed a report.  It was definitely a small-town operation as they were very interested.  I remember them saying "who is it?  We know everybody here but never heard of them."  I contacted the post office and they were also the same.  I didn't even have to ask, they said they'd just send it right back to me.

So, this is probably one of those times where shipping via USPS was quite beneficial.

50 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

PayPal refunded the chargeback fee agreeing I shouldn't be responsible for it. 

They were adamant however that proof of delivery is required for unauthorized chargeback even though the policy states otherwise. According to the rep, each cc company has different chargeback requirements so it depends on the cc used as to how easily PayPal will side with the seller. So probably more relaxed conditions on the ssd where it looked for awhile that I got to keep the money and the ssd was being shipped back before fedex tried one last time and delivered it to the "buyer". 

So I'm still out $29 shipping but I can live with that. 

This is how it is laid out in their TOS.  I found that 9 out of 10 times when there is an "or" Paypal would pick the more stringent choice (proof of delivery) 

2 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

This is how it is laid out in their TOS.  I found that 9 out of 10 times when there is an "or" Paypal would pick the more stringent choice (proof of delivery) 

Yep, read that part.  Their grasp of the language is lacking.  Especially considering right above that, they say proof of delivery is required for items not received.  If they intended proof of delivery for both, then they wouldn't need proof of shipment.

But what do you expect when it was probably written by a bunch of lawyers.

"Law offices of Will B. Ambiguous, how may we help you?"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Sold 7930 Bounty Hunter Gunship. Listing said in the title, and bolded in the listing "NO INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED".

Negative feedback left "no instructions included"

Contact buyer for a week, no reply. Reach out to customer service, show them that in the title and bold in the listing it says there are no instructions included in the lot. Customer support tells me they support the buyers right to leave negative feedback and that they would take no action.

After another week, I send the buyer a last message asking politely if there was anything I can do to better their experience and encourage them to change their rating. Response back? "Give me 20 bucks and I'll change it to positive". I send a complaint with the screenshot of the coercion from the buyer. Customer service tells me they will take no action against the buyer, but if I accept money for them changing the feedback I will be in violation of the terms of service.

:banghead:

So I either get the unwarranted negative feedback, or breach the terms of service.

Try again? I had a negative removed. "I DON'T WANT THIS, CANCEL ORDER." Of course, I did not read the feedback before I shipped the item. Oh, was that fun.

24 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Sold 7930 Bounty Hunter Gunship. Listing said in the title, and bolded in the listing "NO INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED".

Contact buyer for a week, no reply. Reach out to customer service, show them that in the title and bold in the listing it says there are no instructions included in the lot. Customer support tells me they support the buyers right to leave negative feedback and that they would take no action.

After another week, I send the buyer a last message asking politely if there was anything I can do to better their experience and encourage them to change their rating. Response back? "Give me 20 bucks and I'll change it to positive". I send a complaint with the screenshot of the coercion from the buyer. Customer service tells me they will take no action against the buyer, but if I accept money for them changing the feedback I will be in violation of the terms of service.

So I either get the unwarranted negative feedback, or breach the terms of service.

Keep calling customer support till you get someone that can read English.

54 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

No guarantee that they will remove it, but you can try to speak to someone again (and yes, you will likely go through the frustration of being told that you are right, but there is nothing that they can do - likely to be followed by a "you still have a great feedback record").

They tend to be very difficult regarding removing negatives (unless the poster qualified for one of the easy removals), even when all logic and reasoning is in your favor.

• Like 1

So the buyer has randomly revised his feedback for some reason after putting me through hell and trying to extort money from me. I had offered him a week ago to return the item for a refund, even though I normally don't accept refunds on loose sets. He proceeded to call me many unsavory things.

He hasn't requested a refund, but at least now he can't change back from a positive review, and is now blocked. There are plenty of other nutjobs for eBay to match me up with.

I suppose I could be spiteful and reject a return if he does go ahead and request one, since it was listed as no returns accepted. I'd be tempted, but no good karma would be gained from that.

Just wanted to share that there are unicorns out there.... even if it took one of their multiple personalities to correct a moronic move.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

I suppose I could be spiteful and reject a return if he does go ahead and request one, since it was listed as no returns accepted.

Good luck with enforcing that no returns policy.

Happy to hear that the buyer revised it.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

Yeah, that no returns policy is odd. Hard to enforce, can be a red flag to buyers, and eBay increasingly punishes sellers for anything less than a 14-30 day policy.

In like 4000 eBay sales I've had maybe 5 return requests, and 2 who actually followed through - both items coming back in fine quality for resale. Yes, it's a colossal and maddening headache when it occurs, but at the end of the day it's exceedingly rare...

12 minutes ago, thebrickdad said:

What is it with sellers on UK eBay. Silent Mary comes out, with only two listings for the Zombie Shark, one at £45 (from Italy) and the other at £43.39 (from Hong Kong).

Not bad you say...

Then some stupid UK seller lists at £34.99 with free postage.  1f621.png  Why?????

They might have many to sell, and they want the premium now, before it becomes readily available, and dips to $20-$25 - Or as you say, they might be stupid.

Edited by KShine

I have this one kid who has messaged me at least 50 times the past 4 months with half my asking price on offerup.  He can't drive so wants me to deliver it to him the next town over on top of it lol. I'm in no hurry to sell , but I have to admit he's wearing on me though with his willingness to not give up. I'm probably gonna chalk this one as my good deed for the year.

• Like 6

I have this one kid who has messaged me at least 50 times the past 4 months with half my asking price on offerup.  He can't drive so wants me to deliver it to him the next town over on top of it lol. I'm in no hurry to sell , but I have to admit he's wearing on me though with his willingness to not give up. I'm probably gonna chalk this one as my good deed for the year.

I did my good deed (and pseudo-fruitcake) for the year on Friday, in honor of Saint Padraig...

One of my favorite regular customers made me an offer of $15 for a 75099. I decided to counteroffer for less at $13.50. She was nice enough to message me and suggest I may have made a mistake, but I insisted my counteroffer was final and I wouldn't budge ;)
  • Like 9