Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I printed two shipping labels this morning through eBay (both were for USPS).  Usually Paypal just takes these funds directly out of my Paypal balance.  This time they charged the credit card I had on file with Paypal, which is annoying.  My Paypal balance had adequate funds to cover the shipping charges from eBay / USPS so I'm not sure why they charged the card.  My balance was not reduced so they didn't double charge me.  Has this happened to anyone before recently or in the past?  Hoping there is an easy fix and I can avoid dealing with Paypal customer support.

23 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I printed two shipping labels this morning through eBay (both were for USPS).  Usually Paypal just takes these funds directly out of my Paypal balance.  This time they charged the credit card I had on file with Paypal, which is annoying.  My Paypal balance had adequate funds to cover the shipping charges from eBay / USPS so I'm not sure why they charged the card.  My balance was not reduced so they didn't double charge me.  Has this happened to anyone before recently or in the past?  Hoping there is an easy fix and I can avoid dealing with Paypal customer support.

I had a similar instance a few days back (where they were going to charge the CC instead of the avail balance), I noticed the deduction option prior to finishing the transaction, so I was able to change it beforehand - but it hasn't happened again since then (I assumed it was a glitch, related to ebay changes/upgrades).

Edited by KShine

17 minutes ago, KShine said:

I had a similar instance a few days back (where they were going to charge the CC instead of the avail balance), I noticed the deduction option prior to finishing the transaction, so I was able to change it beforehand - but it hasn't happened again since then (I assumed it was a glitch, related to ebay changes/upgrades).

Was this during checkout for a purchase?  Paypal gives you that option when making a purchase via checkout.  But when you purchase shipping through eBay I think its a preauthorized payment and you don't have a choice.  It's supposed to be Paypal balance first then secondary funding source (credit card or bank account).  I see no reason why Paypal would charge my credit card unless its a glitch.

1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

Was this during checkout for a purchase?  Paypal gives you that option when making a purchase via checkout.  But when you purchase shipping through eBay I think its a preauthorized payment and you don't have a choice.  It's supposed to be Paypal balance first then secondary funding source (credit card or bank account).  I see no reason why Paypal would charge my credit card unless its a glitch.

It was during a checkout, but my normal default is to always spend the available balance first (this time it defaulted to the CC).

Thinking about it now - It could have been that the system (for whatever reason) wasn't accessing the paypal balance - which might also explain what happened with you.

56 minutes ago, KShine said:

It was during a checkout, but my normal default is to always spend the available balance first (this time it defaulted to the CC).

Thinking about it now - It could have been that the system (for whatever reason) wasn't accessing the paypal balance - which might also explain what happened with you.

That would be a logical explanation.  I think that has happened to me before.  I emailed Paypal support so I'll see what they have to say.

Last few days this happened to various accounts.  It was taking funds from the backup source for shipping labels, and other forms of payments instead of the primary paypal balance.   You just need to unlink your paypal account and then put it back on and then just reauthorize the billing agreement.  I noticed after printing about 30 labels yesterday the balance had never gone down and gave them a call later that night.  It was not all accounts but just pretty random.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Last few days this happened to various accounts.  It was taking funds from the backup source for shipping labels, and other forms of payments instead of the primary paypal balance.   You just need to unlink your paypal account and then put it back on and then just reauthorize the billing agreement.  I noticed after printing about 30 labels yesterday the balance had never gone down and gave them a call later that night.  It was not all accounts but just pretty random.  

Thanks.  I figured it had to be a glitch of some sort.  

Do I do that here?

My eBay > Account tab > PayPal account > Buying on eBay: Your eBay account is linked to this PayPal account for purchases: [email protected] Unlink accounts.

Nice try ....58e6c68290276_Screenshotfrom2017-04-0618-49-26.png.462081732d67f3b74450dc6bbafe262c.png

I guess I don't see the issue. They could be hoping to verify the product authenticity as much as anything. "From a US retailer" vs "third hand through some dude in china on the secondary market" can make a big difference to some folks. I've had legitimate buyers who like the fact all my items are "no previous owner".

Not like he's asking your cost on them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

I guess I don't see the issue. They could be hoping to verify the product authenticity as much as anything. "From a US retailer" vs "third hand through some dude in china on the secondary market" can make a big difference to some folks. I've had legitimate buyers who like the fact all my items are "no previous owner".

Not like he's asking your cost on them.

True ... maybe I should have mentioned that the listing was for 2 polybags. I can understand the question better if it was a retired, often fake, large LEGO set.

• Like 1

True ... maybe I should have mentioned that the listing was for 2 polybags. I can understand the question better if it was a retired, often fake, large LEGO set.

Right. Or a PAB style lot (which people tend to care if you got it from a literal PAB wall vs some large used lot at a garage sale, that's more prone to including junk and whatnot).

That happened to me early last year. I had someone ask me where I bought a polybag. Then they went off on me, because it was "impossible that you got them from LEGOLAND because they haven't been released yet and I must have gotten them illegally" yada yada yada.

I can see the point about it not being a big deal. At the same time, if it's something that's really limited, I honestly would be a little quiet about it. I think we all would like to have a little corner of the market that we alone can control, even for a short time (for me it was Mixels Series 1, for donbee it was Beetles).
  • Like 1

Just to let everyone know, I just got royally screwed out of 34$ shipping and insurance and 46$ interception fee from USPS because some a-hole in New Jersey "hacked" someones ebay account and had me send something to a New Jersey drop shipping.  Here is the information I sent to the police (not like they are going to do anything about it since hes been doing it for 6 months now)

shanikquil darisaw 600 Markley St port reading NJ 07064-1813 United States

the Address takes you to a drop shipping reception company called Meest

here is the google page for the address that proves its fraud

https://www.google.com/#q=shanikquil+darisaw+600+Markley+St+port+reading+NJ+07064-1813+United+States&*

On 4/5/2017 at 10:36 AM, BrickLegacy said:

Thanks.  I figured it had to be a glitch of some sort.  

Do I do that here?

My eBay > Account tab > PayPal account > Buying on eBay: Your eBay account is linked to this PayPal account for purchases: xxxxx@xxxxx.com Unlink accounts.

Sorry wasn't on much last 2 days.  Yes do that then link it right back with same account.  When you try to print your next label it will prompt the buyer agreement and all will work properly again. 

Was just notified by PayPal that a payment received from an eBay sale was made without the account holder's permission. I submitted the tracking information requested by PayPal so hopefully it'll a favorable outcome under their seller's protection. I was wondering though in case like this do you guys block the eBay buyer right away or do you wait till the issues is resolved? What's your approach? 

Edited by brickinfinite

Why initiate a scam for such a low amount?

If you think gullible buyers are the only ones buying these things, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I would wager it's much more complicated than take your $10 and run. In the right circles, you can buy thousands of stolen credit cards for pennies per number. However not everyone can make fake cards to use at retail stores and online shops are getting better checkout systems that use the CCV and other two factor authentication (CCV plus an online password for example). Not to mention cash is better than using a fakes chip card for $50 in groceries to these asshats.

I wouldn't be surprised if these d.i.c.k.s are setting up hundreds of fake listings across many different products and making random purchases with their stolen cards (guest checkout may have been a boon for some, but i believe it lets you pay with a CC). As buyers of their own listings they won't be filing any cases with eBay and PayPal. By the time the general public finds the listings and buys the rest, they've already cut bait and run.

If I've thought of it, the dirt bags have too.
  • Like 2