Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

24 minutes ago, stackables said:

Has there been a class action lawsuit against ebay yet?  I don't understand how this practice still goes on.  If a real store requires you to return something, you have to send that exact item back.  If you don't, no refund.

The problem is that EBay is an intermediary, and needs to rely on the honesty of its sellers and buyers. They went too far on one side (favoring sellers), then swayed towards favoring buyers, and now need to find the middle ground. The problem is that unless they are instating a GSP stop for _all_ transactions via EBay, they won't have control over what is sent. And even a GSP-like intermediary doesn't help against the "playboy and old socks" in a proper LEGO box scam.

I have mentioned this before - there should be an intermediary option for sellers (or buyers) to opt into, where items get evaluated by a third party, weighed, perhaps X-ray scanned where possible to ensure all is kosher, with a thorough warranty. I could envision an automated system that produces all these datapoints for a given package, and only the outliers get filtered out and manually inspected. The question is, however, would people really want to pay for this?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vexxet said:

the only way to fix this is to have the customer open the package when they get it and have the postman sign off on it.  this would make the price of shipping go up, but negate any shenanigans.

Then the customer would also have to inspect contents. And what if the item is a gift for someone?

25 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Then the customer would also have to inspect contents. And what if the item is a gift for someone?

anecdotal for sure, but ive been ripped off more times on ebay then ive sent items as gifts.  also it could be an additional service you purchase

Just now, Lordoflego said:

I have so many bad usps memories that I could write a horror story.

I usually avoid this particular branch like the plague because of this, but forgot to drop off at the one near my office before I left for home.  For the most part our USPS does a very good job in our city, but this spot is a breeding ground of dumb.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lodibricks said:

Does a counter offer work differently than replying to a message with an offer? I did the latter not long ago and it said "immediate payment isn't required."

SendOffer.JPG.66789a7b28ff5d5e5dfd6bafbdbc025b.JPG
I don't use Best Offer, but that doesn't stop people from asking. :( Grrr....

If you don't use best offer, then you're not using eBay's existing offer/counteroffer system. It is definitely different than messages, which are just messages. 

Your screenshot is interesting. I'll have to remember to look at the screen the next time I submit a counteroffer, but I do remember getting paid right away when someone accepted my counteroffer. Like I said in my previous post, this advice was given by fellow BP'ers here. I don't have anything listed for sale now. Can someone here confirm the screenshot (no immediate payment if counteroffer is accepted)?

2 hours ago, oneknightr said:

If you don't use best offer, then you're not using eBay's existing offer/counteroffer system. It is definitely different than messages, which are just messages. 

Your screenshot is interesting. I'll have to remember to look at the screen the next time I submit a counteroffer, but I do remember getting paid right away when someone accepted my counteroffer. Like I said in my previous post, this advice was given by fellow BP'ers here. I don't have anything listed for sale now. Can someone here confirm the screenshot (no immediate payment if counteroffer is accepted)?

You can send an offer through the messaging system now as well.  I made a sale about a month ago that way.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

You can send an offer through the messaging system now as well.  I made a sale about a month ago that way.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware of that. I'm assuming offers and counteroffers through messaging have no immediate payment required option and that's what lodibricks was referring to in his screenshot. 

2 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware of that. I'm assuming offers and counteroffers through messaging have no immediate payment required option and that's what lodibricks was referring to in his screenshot. 

I suppose if the listing in question had immediate payment selected, it might, but since I don't I can't say.  I would generally simply say no to best offers if I'm not offering them in the first place but this specific listing I was happy to be rid of.  I also think this has to be initiated on the sellers side of the messaging.   I don't think random buyers can offer through the messaging system.

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

56 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I suppose if the listing in question had immediate payment selected, it might, but since I don't I can't say.  I would generally simply say no to best offers if I'm not offering them in the first place but this specific listing I was happy to be rid of.  I also think this has to be initiated on the sellers side of the messaging.   I don't think random buyers can offer through the messaging system.

I believe that this is triggered any time a buyer sends a seller a message and eBay displays a button to submit offer to buyer or words to that effect (you fill in the offer in the next section).    A buyer can not simply send an offer, except a message asking "will you take 1/2 of what you're selling it for"

• Like 1

Buy a 60051 Passenger Train on eBay.  Should have arrived today.  Seller contacts me upset and asks why I refused shipment.  Puzzled, I check the tracking.  Sure enough it says I refused the package.  Call FedEx to sort it out.  FedEx says that the manager of Toys R Us called them and asked for the shipment returned.

So I purchased it from a drop shipper.  Why would TRU want it returned?  

Other head scratcher which could be irrelevant, but seller's English is really poor.  

Some other scam could be going on here, but not sure if I'm reading too much into it.

Edited by trstnkn

10 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Buy a 60051 Passenger Train on eBay.  Should have arrived today.  Seller contacts me upset and asks why I refused shipment.  Puzzled, I check the tracking.  Sure enough it says I refused the package.  Call FedEx to sort it out.  FedEx says that the manager of Toys R Us called them and asked for the shipment returned.

Other head scratcher which could be irrelevant, but seller's English is really poor.  

Some other scam could be going on here, but not sure if I'm reading too much into it.

stolen credit card most likely

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Lol the seller was upset?  Shouldn't you be the one upset??? :cool:

34 minutes ago, river41 said:
45 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

stolen credit card most likely

I'm curious how you are going to get your money back, though ..... Wouldn't EBay say that the tracking says you refused shipment, and hence you are out of luck? Or do you have enough documentation from FedEx to show why the package was recalled?

From the EBay Money Back Guarantee:

Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Edited by Phil B

51 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

My first thought was also stolen credit card.

How is the seller's feedback on eBay?

16 minutes ago, Jackson said:

My first thought was also stolen credit card.

How is the seller's feedback on eBay?

most likely seller ordered via jet.com

jet placed fulfillment via TRU.

jet decided that "the ordering person is violating term" they cancel all order [that has not yet been delivered and have merchant recall packages].

only reason i know this is because it has happened to me. i.e. when jet decided that i violated their terms then they have actually asked fulfilling merchant to recall packages. [ i wasn't even drop shipping. order was being shipped to myself ]

it was a mess [ at least getting your $ back for those orders ]

Edited by newbie77

Odd thing - the seller is continuing to message me saying they will work it out.  They have stellar feedback, but they are rather new (about 9 months).

Expected delivery is 5/26, so if I likely go down to road of a "did not receive" I will need to receive better documentation from FedEx.  They must not have a tracking code for "seller intercepted shipment".

Regardless, the other fishy thing...ordered over 7 days ago.  It took them that long to figure out fraud?  And of course on the day it was out for delivery...