Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Taping two complete boxes together is tacky but the posters were talking about taking two undersized boxes, cutting them and then taping together to make a single larger box. There is nothing wrong with doing this, but most delivery services will not honor any claims for damage if you make your own box like this. You've compromised box strength.

(Kmart probably has a flat fee for delivery which is perhaps why taping two boxes together would also be a big no-no... for most people it would be silly because it could push you into dimensional weight and that can really drive up the cost of delivery.)

Exactly, YMMV.

No way should you tape 2 Town Halls together, or indeed a CPU unit and a mouse, as I saw in a company I visited today!

Apart from the insurance liability, there is also the fact that you will likely pay volumetric shipment on the widest, longest and deepest points of the entire package.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Anyone else on eBay UK find themselves spending a lot of time reporting fraudulent 10% of real price BIN UCS sets from 0 rated sellers in China?

You would have thought it would be easy for eBay to recognize the pattern and stop the items being listed at all.

Always see UCS Sandcrawlers being advertised for £26 BIN surely something so far below average price as a BIN from a new seller should be automatically flagged and checked.

I've spoken been on eBay chat about this and they're just not interested. As long as they get their FVF, they just don't care. I just hope that the buyers we wan't aren't stupid enough to buy from them. eBay are the biggest fruitcakes and they basically need shutting down or buyers will eventually vote with their keyboards.

General question.  Bought a comic and the seller charged $8.15 for shipping.  Got the comic today that was shipped in a non padded envelope but the comic was put in between 2 pieces of cardboard, pretty standard.  Cost to ship it was $3.05.  As a buyer would you hammer the seller on shipping feedback? 

1 minute ago, stackables said:

General question.  Bought a comic and the seller charged $8.15 for shipping.  Got the comic today that was shipped in a non padded envelope but the comic was put in between 2 pieces of cardboard, pretty standard.  Cost to ship it was $3.05.  As a buyer would you hammer the seller on shipping feedback? 

Did the seller use the shipping service shown on the listing?

Just now, stackables said:

Listing says economy shipping and the comic was sent first class.

As long as the item wasn't damaged and the advertised shipping service was used, I'd never leave negative feedback for that or complain to the seller.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, stackables said:

No, as a buyer, I would have asked for discounted shipping, or just accept that I was paying for the additional shipping cost tacked onto the price of the item.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I bought two lots of sealed series 16 CMF from one seller. The seller updated one to shipped and added a tracking number. The next day, I got an email saying both auctions were canceled by the seller and I was refunded in full for both. The auctions no longer show up in my purchase history so I can't leave any negative feedback. How can a seller do this? I didn't know this was possible after marking something as shipped.

10 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Has this happened to anyone else?

I bought two lots of sealed series 16 CMF from one seller. The seller updated one to shipped and added a tracking number. The next day, I got an email saying both auctions were canceled by the seller and I was refunded in full for both. The auctions no longer show up in my purchase history so I can't leave any negative feedback. How can a seller do this? I didn't know this was possible after marking something as shipped.

ebay could do it.  Did you mean they cancelled it ?  They are only one who can remove from site.  Or do you just mean not in your purchase history.  If so just search by item number instead and see if listing is active or seller is still active.  If not ebay ended and yanked but still would show up somewhere in your my ebay if you search by item number.  It does on selling side anyways, that is only way you can view it but if you click on it then it goes away again.

This JUST happened to me too. I bought a lot of fidget spinners on eBay for loot bags for my son's birthday party (admittedly at a too good to be true low price), they were marked as shipped within an hour, and half an hour later I received a full refund. If it was a price error, I get it and would understand if the seller emailed me to explain, but to have them marked as shipped then refunded with no explanation is very strange....

Edited by maryjmeg
Typo

This JUST happened to me too. I bought a lot of fidget spinners on eBay for loot bags for my son's birthday party (admittedly at a too good to be true low price), they were marked as shipped within an hour, and half an hour later I received a full refund. If it was a price error, I get it and would understand if the seller emailed me to explain, but to have them marked as shipped then refunded with no explanation is very strange....

You prob never sell on eBay...

17 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

You prob never sell on eBay...

I don't sell on eBay as my primary income (I run a Bricklink and BrickOwl store full-time), but I do sell there part-time. What am I missing here? I guess I've never cancelled/refunded an order purchased from me on eBay, so is there a reason for marking as shipped then refunding with no other contact other than very poor customer service?

1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

again would need to know if seller cancel or ebay administrative type cancel,  big difference

It's still listed in my recent purchases, but with 'Payment Refunded' as the status now instead of 'Shipped'. The transaction in my PayPal account shows the refund as being sent by the seller. 

I've sent her an email to ask for clarification, but if I don't hear back I guess I can at least leave bad feedback.

Seller trying to avoid negative feedback...many reasons, have you ever try to ask that seller?)
May be pricing error...

Yes, I have sent her an email. I would never leave bad feedback without asking for an explanation. She didn't do it to avoid getting bad feedback, because I can still leave feedback (unlike the other poster with a similar issue, my transaction still appears in past purchases)

Anyway, this doesn't really merit all the time we're giving it - I'll just wait a few days and see if I hear back from the seller.

Here's my situation. I got the following message:

"We're sorry to let you know that mylilpumkin canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or the item is damaged. The seller refunded $25.00 back to your original payment method, and you don't need to do anything else."

The listings have fallen off my purchase history but after clicking a few links from the message, I notice that I can still leave negative feedback if I want. So this message shows that as a seller, you can cancel an order after marking it as shipped, which is so odd to me. The message seems to be a standardized message based on a drop down selection from the seller. No personal messages from the seller though. 

I have had orders cancelled. I have also had to cancel 2 orders myself. Im really not sure why this would be in fruitcake thread if they issued you a quick refund and out of stock as listed is a reason, so I'm not sure what your waiting for (a fake apology from a stranger)?. I figure I have way better things to worry about in life than a cancelled transaction. 

It happens in stores all the time. I call or check online to verify the trip to the store and store is out of stock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Salimr said:

I have had orders cancelled. I have also had to cancel 2 orders myself. Im really not sure why this would be in fruitcake thread if they issued you a quick refund and out of stock as listed is a reason, so I'm not sure what your waiting for (a fake apology from a stranger)?. I figure I have way better things to worry about in life than a cancelled transaction. 

It happens in stores all the time. I call or check online to verify the trip to the store and store is out of stock.

I felt like the seller was a fruitcake because he marked it as shipped with a tracking number and then canceled the the next day. First time this happened to me but now I know. Thanks for the info everyone.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jackson said:

A canceled order due to "out of stock" almost always deserves negative feedback IMHO.

Especially when they mark it as shipped with a tracking number just to meet the shipping timelines THEN cancel it without even a "fake apology."

Poor customer service.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Especially when they mark it as shipped with a tracking number just to meet the shipping timelines THEN cancel it without even a "fake apology."

Poor customer service.

That is odd, I should have read the tracking info part. 

Side note having worked for government for 7 years and issuing hundreds of fines, I know I have mastered the fake apologies :)

A canceled order due to "out of stock" almost always deserves negative feedback IMHO.

I disagree. It's happened to me as a seller before. Inventory mistakes happen. No matter how many times a year I double check my inventory, things still slip through.

I've also had sellers cancel for the same reason. They can't magically make it reappear in stock. I don't stop shopping at Walmart just because the stock tracker says it's in stock and I get to the store and there are none to be found.

But when I cancel I don't just automatically cancel. I also send an apology to the buyer and let them know what happened.

Poor customer service.

Now THIS is a reason to go negative. I never mark anything shipped until I'm running the print label and slap it on the box process. Like Greg said it's poor customer service.
  • Like 2

Chinese fraudsters hitting eBay UK with fraudulent listing after fraudulent listing on UCS sets. On sets I'm following I'd say there's 10 listings per set. 3 day auctions all 0 feedback sellers.

I don't understand why eBay doesn't care. They are the ones who will end up paying out when customers end up with nothing and then losing customers who are scared to use the platform.