Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

41 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Regardless, the other fishy thing...ordered over 7 days ago.  It took them that long to figure out fraud?  And of course on the day it was out for delivery...

Not necessarily... the request might have been issued rather quickly, but the first opportunity to intercept is when the parcel gets to the delivery truck - it was likely part of a bundled pallet while en route, and FedEx/UPS is not going to break/unpack that pallet just to grab one shipment.

23 hours ago, Phil B said:

Not necessarily... the request might have been issued rather quickly, but the first opportunity to intercept is when the parcel gets to the delivery truck - it was likely part of a bundled pallet while en route, and FedEx/UPS is not going to break/unpack that pallet just to grab one shipment.

In an odd turn, the box showed up on my doorstep this afternoon - riddled with red stickers indicating it should be returned to seller.  It had even started the trip back to TRU's fulfillment w'house.

Not sure what transpired with this purchase, but I guess I should not care.  

• Like 3

Had a "new" set arrive yesterday, a couple of days after it was suppose to, wrapped in nothing more than brown paper and selotape. Considering it was bought last Monday, no tracking was sent and it arrived looking like it had been used for a 5 aside game with tape stuck to the outside of the box, I was far from pleased as it was to be a birthday gift. Second set in a week to arrive with this kind of "protective" coating. Instant negative feedback!

Email arrived moments ago, main points being:

1. Posted within the 4 business days
  2. Always packaged sets in this way
  3. Never stated it would be shipped in a box
  4. Royal mail were to blame for the damage
  5. Brown paper is called "packing paper" (????)
  6. Thanks for the Neg review

Getting sick of the horrid packing others deem as acceptable!

• Like 6

On 5/24/2017 at 4:57 PM, trstnkn said:

In an odd turn, the box showed up on my doorstep this afternoon - riddled with red stickers indicating it should be returned to seller.  It had even started the trip back to TRU's fulfillment w'house.

Not sure what transpired with this purchase, but I guess I should not care.  

Oh my, this is ridiculous. Please share any further developments.

• Like 1

Had a "new" set arrive yesterday, a couple of days after it was suppose to, wrapped in nothing more than brown paper and selotape. Considering it was bought last Monday, no tracking was sent and it arrived looking like it had been used for a 5 aside game with tape stuck to the outside of the box, I was far from pleased as it was to be a birthday gift. Second set in a week to arrive with this kind of "protective" coating. Instant negative feedback!
Email arrived moments ago, main points being:
  1. Posted within the 4 business days
  2. Always packaged sets in this way
  3. Never stated it would be shipped in a box
  4. Royal mail were to blame for the damage
  5. Brown paper is called "packing paper" (????)
  6. Thanks for the Neg review
Getting sick of the horrid packing others deem as acceptable!

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. I'm sorry it came at your expense.

I need some smart thinkers to help me figure out what kind of scam is getting run on my latest Ebay purchase:

1. I win an auction for seven Funko Pops! for my daughter for $29.99 as the only bidder. This is well below market value for the items.
  2. The Seller sends me a message the next day and states he "doesn't have a box big enough to ship all seven pops! in" so he has to split the shipment into two boxes. Included in the message is a 2nd tracking number to go along with the first tracking number listed under the auction purchase details.
  3. My wife and daughter get a single box containing 3 of the 7 Funko Pops! in it yesterday. There is for sure not a 2nd box delivered.
  4. I check the tracking number for both "packages" and they both reflect delivered at the same exact time. Even more oddly, with the exception of one time scan (it is a few minutes apart on the two tracking numbers), the other 10 or so tracking scans occurred at the same exact time for both packages.

I can't really prove it here, but I feel like the Seller only shipped me a partial order based on the selling price, and is somehow manipulating the system to show Ebay that he fulfilled his obligation. Am I being paranoid here?

6 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

I need some smart thinkers to help me figure out what kind of scam is getting run on my latest Ebay purchase:

1. I win an auction for seven Funko Pops! for my daughter for $29.99 as the only bidder. This is well below market value for the items.
  2. The Seller sends me a message the next day and states he "doesn't have a box big enough to ship all seven pops! in" so he has to split the shipment into two boxes. Included in the message is a 2nd tracking number to go along with the first tracking number listed under the auction purchase details.
  3. My wife and daughter get a single box containing 3 of the 7 Funko Pops! in it yesterday. There is for sure not a 2nd box delivered.
  4. I check the tracking number for both "packages" and they both reflect delivered at the same exact time. Even more oddly, with the exception of one time scan (it is a few minutes apart on the two tracking numbers), the other 10 or so tracking scans occurred at the same exact time for both packages.

I can't really prove it here, but I feel like the Seller only shipped me a partial order based on the selling price, and is somehow manipulating the system to show Ebay that he fulfilled his obligation. Am I being paranoid here?

That would be my conclusion too, but perhaps the shipping company could shed light on whether there really were two boxes and what happened to the second one. I assume it was not signed for by anyone.

I guess you could still file a SNAD as it is your word against the seller´s with no POD.

What feedback and comments does the seller have? Are these types of sale a regular occurence for them?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Val-E said:

That would be my conclusion too, but perhaps the shipping company could shed light on whether there really were two boxes and what happened to the second one. I assume it was not signed for by anyone.

I guess you could still file a SNAD as it is your word against the seller´s with no POD.

What feedback and comments does the seller have? Are these types of sale a regular occurence for them?

It's unreal the length's people will go.  So you lost and the gamble didn't work out, just move on people. jeeeezzzzz  (this is directed at the seller, not you the buyer)  

I've put plenty of items on Ebay and had them go much less than I had hoped.  It's called an auction, set the price you feel comfortable with and move on.  (small rant that we all believe in)  Sorry for the troubles you have to go though, just annoying.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

You should message the seller stating that the parcel arrived with only 3 of the 7 Funko Pops and ask him where the other 4 are? And as Val-E suggested - a quick call to the post office may indeed help shed light on it.

If in the end the answer is unsatisfactory, file a SNAD. Even if eBay says "but you got two parcels" you say "but I only got 3 items." You'll win.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Neither package signed for. The U.S. Postal Service tracking info says they were both left with individuals.

He does have proof of delivery. He has two USPS tracking numbers showing delivered to my postal zipcode. The USPS tracking system never shows the specific address unless signature confirmation was required. This seems to satisfy the requirement for Ebay and Amazon both. I think I'd have a hard time making a claim with Ebay.

He has 1600 feedback at 100% positive. 600 in the past 12 months. He normally sells single collectible items though in the $5-$15 range. I'm not seeing many other sales for lots of multiple items.

So maybe ask the local post office/delivery centre for more info, if that would be possible.

I think you could still win a SNAD with paypal (you received less than the ordered number and there is no way of proving how they were packaged) but it may be worth double checking before doing that.

If the buyer has such good feedback,  it is doubtful they are going to pull a fast one for so little monetary gain so it might be worth contacting them and explaining the problem.

Their reply should help you decide how to proceed.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Maybe time to knock that 100% down.  Then next time, he'll find a large enough box and plan ahead of making an auction and not having the capacity to ship it in.

if there are two tracking numbers unless they are for the same item [ most likely not ] unless you see two labels its not possible for them to go around that.

having said that if its shows "left with individual" you should talk to your mail-delivery person and ask where is the second box since you only gave me one but both tracking shows delivered.

hand-held scanner of USPS employees are GPS enabled and they can find where it was delivered if its not your house.

[ apparently, my signature tracking orders [ i am receiving ] don't require signature because device registers my address immediately during scan. [ at least that's what the postal delivery person tells me ]

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Since the seller's feedback is that good, this sounds more like a USPS error. I've had a number of packages misdelivered by USPS.

After a call to the local post master, I've managed to locate the 2nd package. Let's go with USPS error for the win. 

This is why I dislike the rural carrier system. Apparently my carrier scanned both packages when she arrived at my driveway yesterday, but somehow "accidentally left the 2nd box in her vehicle" when she was taking mail and packages up to the house. Hmmm. 

She will be dropping my package off shortly.

• Like 6

After a call to the local post master, I've managed to locate the 2nd package. Let's go with USPS error for the win. 
This is why I dislike the rural carrier system. Apparently my carrier scanned both packages when she arrived at my driveway yesterday, but somehow "accidentally left the 2nd box in her vehicle" when she was taking mail and packages up to the house. Hmmm. 
She will be dropping my package off shortly.

I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a scam (we have enough of those going these days) but you may feel like sending a message to the seller informing if the delivery hiccup. If nothing else, as was said above they really ought to have just the proper damn box size.
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I'm glad it doesn't appear to be a scam (we have enough of those going these days) but you may feel like sending a message to the seller informing if the delivery hiccup. If nothing else, as was said above they really ought to have just the proper damn box size.

Or taped the 2 boxes together.

• Like 3

Be happy the guy used 2 boxes instead of cramming into one and the fact they still got it out on time instead of waiting for another box. Easy to judge from the sidelines but as much as you can prepare and plan things always come up.  I carry about 30 boxes sizes and it's rare I run out but on occasion it does happen.  Sometimes you have to get creative.  The seller did nothing wrong.  If anything they paid more out of pocket just to get the buyer there packages safely and promptly which is what a good seller will do.  

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I agree. I don't see anything wrong with splitting an order into two boxes.

The taping-two-boxes-together idea is something I've never thought of. I might try that if the situation arises.

yeah it helps a lot,  there is a few larger box sizes that don't fit by themselves but can flip over and either make a telescoping box to height needed or just use as making a double wall for stronger protection.

We use a 24x16x12 for our daily stuff and flipping 2 over fits the factory cases of Disney Castle / helicarrier size sets perfectly.  Give a lot of protection around the factory case as well.  That size would normally not be something we would use much of so that is a situation where that technique helps.  Only so many boxes you can carry after awhile and try to keep the ones we use regularly in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

Or taped the 2 boxes together.

watch out on the volume shipping crap price when you tape or shrink wrap multiple boxes. while its a novel idea sometimes its not worth it. but again totally depends. i have had lot of sellers ship orders in multiple boxes. its not a big deal at all.

usual scammers are buyers. of course that doesn't mean there aren't scam sellers. usual way to figure is multiple listing of high value item at a heavy discount. [ that's a red flag ] i.e. example would be someone selling 75105 for $59 (shipped) and also 10 of them. :)

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

watch out on the volume shipping crap price when you tape or shrink wrap multiple boxes. while its a novel idea sometimes its not worth it. but again totally depends. i have had lot of sellers ship orders in multiple boxes. its not a big deal at all.

usual scammers are buyers. of course that doesn't mean there aren't scam sellers. usual way to figure is multiple listing of high value item at a heavy discount. [ that's a red flag ] i.e. example would be someone selling 75105 for $59 (shipped) and also 10 of them. :)

That's a great deal! Where can I buy them? Can you provide a link? I'll buy multiple ;) 

• Like 1