Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy

China seems to have big problems. I'm looking forward to if/when the West either employs massive import tariffs (to pay for inspecting EVERY shipment) or simply stops dealing with them. Quality has also taken a tumble in recent years and I go out of the way to see where a product is made before I buy it. Just look at the uneven yellow tint on Apple screens for example and you'll see how shocking the quality is. Yes, I said it again! ;-)

Knowing that eBay sides with buyers, have any of you actually "bought" one of these bargain sets?

Edited by TabbyBoy

8 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Someone on eBay bought a clearly listed Wii game from me and then sent me a message asking, "Is this game for the playstation vita?"

Some people are some kind of special.

My first Bricklink Sale, so I thought, or at least don't even know anymore as communication has gone cold.  Seems to think that shipping is free. 

So that rationale is if he/she would have purchased a minifig below $3 then I would gladly mail it and I would net at below $0.  

Read the terms people, not difficult.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jackson said:

Someone on eBay bought a clearly listed Wii game from me and then sent me a message asking, "Is this game for the playstation vita?"

Some people are some kind of special.

I got a similarly ignorant question a couple days ago.  I have the 4x mini-ties from the IAC listed for $20.  The picture is of mini-ties, the description and title say it's only mini-ties.  The person asks if the set is complete with instructions.  I was polite, but really didn't want to be...

• Like 1

Not on eBay. And maybe I'm the fruitcake this time. Seems I pissed off two people last night.

I had Hulk Buster Smash on BL listed for something like $34.50. I listed it a long time ago, had a great buy in, wasn't expecting much back then, had hoped to get more. Forgot about it, as is typical for me.
Last night I got an offer for $40, including the S&H. She also wanted pics. That'd probably be just $2 less than if she'd straight up bought it, so I seriously considered it. But then passed. I wanted to do some more research into it. It's the only one I have and I don't think I can get anymore.
So I politely said no Thank you. Told her it was a good offer, I just didn't want to sell it yet. I didn't really think about haggling or what ever. She made an offer, I passed. My listing was on the lower end, but it wasn't the cheapest, if she wanted that deal I'm sure she could find it elsewhere.
I wanted to think about it a bit, but didn't have the time or interest (not with Barnes clearance and all) so I raised the price to something like $60 as a place holder. I knew if I took the listing off, I'd forget about it for months if not a year. This was an easy number that wouldn't be relevant any time soon.

Well, I got a message. I stopped reading when it got into grandmas and presents and what not. Basically I'm reseller scum for not letting her counter offer.
Didn't expect that. Am I the fruitcake for declining her offer and then raising the price?

1 hour ago, donbee said:

Am I the fruitcake for declining her offer and then raising the price?

Don't think so. You'd have been the fruitcake if she tried to counter and then you told her off for not understanding that no means no.

At least your buyer waited until after you passed to unleash the pathos. I had someone on a classified app give me the Easter story up front with their low-ball offer. Which was still better than the person who made a low-ball offer and responded to my counter by repeating their original offer with a "please."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donbee said:

Not on eBay. And maybe I'm the fruitcake this time. Seems I pissed off two people last night.

I had Hulk Buster Smash on BL listed for something like $34.50. I listed it a long time ago, had a great buy in, wasn't expecting much back then, had hoped to get more. Forgot about it, as is typical for me.
Last night I got an offer for $40, including the S&H. She also wanted pics. That'd probably be just $2 less than if she'd straight up bought it, so I seriously considered it. But then passed. I wanted to do some more research into it. It's the only one I have and I don't think I can get anymore.
So I politely said no Thank you. Told her it was a good offer, I just didn't want to sell it yet. I didn't really think about haggling or what ever. She made an offer, I passed. My listing was on the lower end, but it wasn't the cheapest, if she wanted that deal I'm sure she could find it elsewhere.
I wanted to think about it a bit, but didn't have the time or interest (not with Barnes clearance and all) so I raised the price to something like $60 as a place holder. I knew if I took the listing off, I'd forget about it for months if not a year. This was an easy number that wouldn't be relevant any time soon.

Well, I got a message. I stopped reading when it got into grandmas and presents and what not. Basically I'm reseller scum for not letting her counter offer.
Didn't expect that. Am I the fruitcake for declining her offer and then raising the price?

I might have countered with the original $34.50 + shipping since it was already listed at that, but at the same time, I'm leaning to a "serves her right" for not just paying what you were asking. I wasn't sure if you were allowing Best Offers or if Bricklink even has that option, but I get really irritated being messaged offers on eBay when I don't list with that feature enabled. People say "worst case they say no," Well, you can piss'em off too.

• Like 1

I might have countered with the original $34.50 + shipping since it was already listed at that, but at the same time, I'm leaning to a "serves her right" for not just paying what you were asking. I wasn't sure if you were allowing Best Offers or if Bricklink even has that option, but I get really irritated being messaged offers on eBay when I don't list with that feature enabled. People say "worst case they say no," Well, you can piss'em off too.

The other thing is, she was asking about box condition and wanted pictures and all. I just didn't have the motivation to do all that and have her rescind her offer anyways. It was a PM so she had no obligation to buy.
I never sent her pictures. How does she know she even wants what I have? Some people just don't like to be told they can't have something.
  • Like 1

Also not on ebay, but I had a fruitcake on a local trading app recently. 

I had a set listed for $300 and received a message saying I don't even know how hard he has been trying to find this set for his son, and asking if I would be willing to come down in price at all. I told him right off the bat sorry but I really wasn't willing to move on price. He then asked what the retail was on the set, then don't hear back from him. A little over a week later, I finally get another message from him saying he really wants the set but can only spend $250 and if I'm willing to do that he can buy it right now. I once again say sorry, I can't do $250. 

"Wow I don't understand people this was retailed at $199 but $250 isn't good enough I'm flagging your post"

I ended up reporting the user on the app and blocking him immediately.

• Like 1

Also not on ebay, but I had a fruitcake on a local trading app recently. 
I had a set listed for $300 and received a message saying I don't even know how hard he has been trying to find this set for his son, and asking if I would be willing to come down in price at all. I told him right off the bat sorry but I really wasn't willing to move on price. He then asked what the retail was on the set, then don't hear back from him. A little over a week later, I finally get another message from him saying he really wants the set but can only spend $250 and if I'm willing to do that he can buy it right now. I once again say sorry, I can't do $250. 
"Wow I don't understand people this was retailed at $199 but $250 isn't good enough I'm flagging your post"
I ended up reporting the user on the app and blocking him immediately.

Wow, I don't understand why he didn't buy this, when it was available at retailers for $199.
  • Like 3

Recently bought around 60lbs of Lego.  Asked if mini figures had been removed.  Answer was no, and that it was son's collection.  Had many Star Wars pieces/partial sets discernible in few pictures offered, so it definitely did not look like random junk.  Lo and behold I start going through the 60 lbs, and I maybe found a total of 30 mini figure parts.  And likely 20-30 mini figure accessories and 4-5 animals.  The only figure that was complete was the LOTR ogre, and he had been stabbed to death literally with what looked like a screwdriver.

60 lbs should have a few hundred figures.  I reached out and nicely asked about the lack of figures.  

Any tips on how to proceed?  I don't want to abuse the SNAD process, but their response does seem rather misleading.  I know there are always risks to bulk lots.

5 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Recently bought around 60lbs of Lego.  Asked if mini figures had been removed.  Answer was no, and that it was son's collection.  Had many Star Wars pieces/partial sets discernible in few pictures offered, so it definitely did not look like random junk.  Lo and behold I start going through the 60 lbs, and I maybe found a total of 30 mini figure parts.  And likely 20-30 mini figure accessories and 4-5 animals.  The only figure that was complete was the LOTR ogre, and he had been stabbed to death literally with what looked like a screwdriver.

60 lbs should have a few hundred figures.  I reached out and nicely asked about the lack of figures.  

Any tips on how to proceed?  I don't want to abuse the SNAD process, but their response does seem rather misleading.  I know there are always risks to bulk lots.

If it was a parent, they likely knew there were minifigs in the 60lb lot (which there were), but couldn't know enough to say which ones might be there or not.

It doesn't seem like they were intending to mislead, but if you really feel like you got shortchanged in the deal - you can certainly open a return request, stating that you were under the impression (after communications) that more minifigs were to be included in the lot (you will win, and they will be responsible for return shipping). 

Thanks, KShine.  Reached out to seller.  No response.  Tried again and was told to proverbially get over it.  So I filed a return request citing "doesn't match description or photos".

When I've encountered possible SNAD's before, the seller is usually quick to offer resolution of some sort.  This person seemingly cares less.

How clear in the SNAD process is it for the seller to see that they are on the hook for the return shipping fee?  This is a 60+ lb bin traveling 1500 miles.  

• Like 1

Thanks, KShine.  Reached out to seller.  No response.  Tried again and was told to proverbially get over it.  So I filed a return request citing "doesn't match description or photos".
When I've encountered possible SNAD's before, the seller is usually quick to offer resolution of some sort.  This person seemingly cares less.
How clear in the SNAD process is it for the seller to see that they are on the hook for the return shipping fee?  This is a 60+ lb bin traveling 1500 miles.  

Very clear. I had someone open a SNAD against me recently. eBay ruled immediately against me and said I was responsible for return shipping - once the buyer had printed the shipping label and sent the package.

Buyer didn't ever send the package back, so my funds were released back to me and I had no return postage charge (I believe he was being vindictive but that's a long story for another time).

Bottom line - eBay made it clear I was on the hook.

Ok so I bought a set yesterday. The seller had almost 150 positive ratings. He gave me a tracking number yesterday but now he has already packed up shop and disappeared. The sold listing page is now listed as a cancelled item and impossible to access. The tracking number just says he entered item information but did not ship. What do I do? Just wait until the estimated shipping arrival has passed and then upon a case against him on eBay or Paypal? I can still get the money even though he deleted his account right?( I know I am clearly a noob, I appreciate the help and just want my money back...)

18 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Very clear. I had someone open a SNAD against me recently. eBay ruled immediately against me and said I was responsible for return shipping - once the buyer had printed the shipping label and sent the package.

Buyer didn't ever send the package back, so my funds were released back to me and I had no return postage charge (I believe he was being vindictive but that's a long story for another time).

Bottom line - eBay made it clear I was on the hook.

Had a similar situation a month and change after Christmas from someone who bought a set for a kid and it was missing pieces. I tried to explain LEGO's very good customer service and that they would likely ship them the parts for free or if they couldn't be bothered with that let me know the parts, I'd try to find them and ship them to them. They just escalated to Ebay and I was told by ebay almost instantly that I would be charged for shipping when the buyer posted the tracking information but they never sent it, so I don't think I ever lost any money. But it did ding my stats for having a case that was not resolved by me.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, mizeur said:

Don't think so. You'd have been the fruitcake if she tried to counter and then you told her off for not understanding that no means no.

At least your buyer waited until after you passed to unleash the pathos. I had someone on a classified app give me the Easter story up front with their low-ball offer. Which was still better than the person who made a low-ball offer and responded to my counter by repeating their original offer with a "please."

I had someone try to get me to half of retail and gave me a big song and dance about working with wounded veterans and how this was good for them regaining motor skills. Ok, if true, good on him for working in that industry, but I would say that a retired AT-AT in high demand could easily be substituted for a much more common and already discounted set that can be found in Wal-Mart/Amazon/etc. and no wounded veterans are going to feel slighted that they couldn't build an AT-AT because some reseller jerk wouldn't take a loss on it.

• Like 1

Bought 2 sets off brick classifieds....had some conversation with seller....refunded part of my shipping (4 bucks).....status now says cancelled and lost total communication. Store has been pulled and have started the process of getting money back from paypal. I keep thinking the sets are going to show up......getting delusional in my old age.

String of bad luck........just got an ebay issue resolved today....interesting in such that purchased 2 sets....got 1 never the other. Both sets had same tracking number....proved based on weight they never sent the other one....glad I at least got one of them as seller has disappeared and of course has over 30 negative comments in a month (was positive when I purchased)

Had another non paying bidder on an ebay set (UCS blockage runner)........that is 2 in a row.......

Hopefully the "bad" luck run is over...

One scam I'm seeing a lot on eBay lately (then again, maybe it's old news... I don't shop on eBay a lot)... I see hijacked accounts run dozens of auctions for $100 - $300 items - sometimes Lego, sometimes game consoles... whatever - all the auctions will end on the same day, at the same time. Clearly the seller is looking to collect what he can on that day, and scoot before Paypal figures it out. For the most part, pretty easy to spot: items always are stock photos from the web. Whenever you see a Lego Sandcrawler on auction with a stock photo, for example, just click on "See other items" from the same seller. You'll often find 15 or 50 other auctions ending exactly the same time... that plus seller history showing they haven't sold anything in a year = scammer.

• Like 7