Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I can't believe anyone who frequents this site would think for a second that was a legitimate listing. I love how some can rationalize all sorts of ridiculous reasons why this is an actual deal. And posting it in the deals section?!

I posted it to see what people thought was happening with it - not for people to buy it necessarily.

I figured it was a typo.

The minecraft one yesterday ended up working out. It wasn't that too good to be true, but somewhat similar.

I don't even know how to politely respond to this so I'll just pretend it didn't happen.

I'm making a suggestion that scams don't belong in the Daily Deals.

They don't which is why it was edited to say it was a scam. At the moment, I thought it was a typo - which happens often on Ebay. Again, there have been many similar that did work out. And I went to remove it once FC said the listing was gouged from someone else - and it had been edited.

Maybe you shouldn't blatantly act like it was stupid without understanding what happened.

Edit: I even hinted in there I didn't know what was going on with it "Try to figure this one out" - maybe a typo?"

And I didn't post it in the top.

I hope that if you make a typo in one of your listings that someone alerts a group of people to jump all over it. It was you who wrote an article on the dangers of scams on ebay yet you can't recognize one of the most obvious ones ever?

I didn't encourage anyone to jump on it - I just noted it. I admitted that it was a mistake and ill admit it again - if you want to be an ******* and publicly crucify me and act like Im an idiot go ahead.

It wasn't near as obvious as the ones I see everyday - and I find ones like this all the time that aren't. I have even had some removed and still got the items - and they were used, so not drop shipping scams.

I wouldnt say the minecraft has worked out either until you actually get them lol

Thats a good point - I talked to the seller though. And he shipped it, the weight is correct as well. So if so, I might pat him on the back for how elaborate the scam is.

He posted more later though and raised the price. He just didn't know they sold that well.

Think about it. 25$ off is a good discount - but normal for every lego set thats non exclusive... except that one.

Thats a good point - I talked to the seller though. And he shipped it, the weight is correct as well. So if so, I might pat him on the back for how elaborate the scam is.

He posted more later though and raised the price. He just didn't know they sold that well.

Think about it. 25$ off is a good discount - but normal for every lego set thats non exclusive... except that one.

You got them for 10$....Or 25% off...Im curious how he can sell them for that price on a set that has never been discounted...Either stolen or Employee Discount or selling at a loss?  With fees there is almost no way it can be profitable to sell at that price but good luck. Yes Id be wary of steering people to these "deals" even with a warning...Your money is protected by paypal but the claim process can take time and money may be gone for up to a month.

You got them for 10$....Or 25% off...Im curious how he can sell them for that price on a set that has never been discounted...Either stolen or Employee Discount or selling at a loss?  With fees there is almost no way it can be profitable to sell at that price but good luck. Yes Id be wary of steering people to these "deals" even with a warning...Your money is protected by paypal but the claim process cant take time and money may be gone for up to a month.

Yeah thought type there - sorry. And I am rethinking that - I shouldn't have posted either in the deals thread before I knew they were legit.

As for that one, the guy said he got them from a store going out of business or something like that - I'd have to find the email. I also don't pay until I know - which is what I did with his too.

But seriously, I don't post a lot of them on here - but I find stuff like the minecraft thing everyday that turns out all right. But I am reckless because I know how to protect myself. I think Eisley has a point that I should not even give off the hint of recklessness to others. I have a lot of safeguards set up that others don't.

It was definitely irresponsible - which is why I think I am going to stop posting deals at work - I don't think about them much.

You got them for 10$....Or 25% off...Im curious how he can sell them for that price on a set that has never been discounted...Either stolen or Employee Discount or selling at a loss?  With fees there is almost no way it can be profitable to sell at that price but good luck. Yes Id be wary of steering people to these "deals" even with a warning...Your money is protected by paypal but the claim process can take time and money may be gone for up to a month.

The Minecraft listing was for $25, not $10.  While this was a great deal, it wasn't a killer by any stretch of the imagination - 28% off is nothing close to the 80% discount offered by the DS scam.  The DS price barely covered its shipping costs.

The DS scam would have been MUCH harder to foresee if the seller had listed it at $350 instead of $70.  Then again, they probably wouldn't have sold so quickly at $350 either...

I posted it to see what people thought was happening with it - not for people to buy it necessarily.

I figured it was a typo.

The minecraft one yesterday ended up working out. It wasn't that too good to be true, but somewhat similar.

I think dnim's bp account was also hacked today. He normally posts and writes blogs telling us to stay away for scams and drop shippers on ebay....and now he posts that he himself bought into a scam. Something is fishy here. Bizarro day?

My best one that wasn't a scam was the Fire Temple I got. New seller, listed it for like $90 I think it was. I was worried about it - but I got it. Sold it 3 days later for $190. Lol

I actually think this is reasonable for DD.  It was probably someone that wanted to get what they paid for the set and had no idea of its eBay value, and either didn't know or didn't care to check the recent sold listings.  I would never take issue with someone posting this on the Daily Deals thread, although my guess is that it would never get that far...

I think dnim's bp account was also hacked today. He normally posts and writes blogs telling us to stay away for scams and drop shippers on ebay....and now he posts the he himself bought into a scam. Something is fishy here. Bizarro day?

good one. :)

I didn't pay which is where they get their info. I just bought just in case - as I do everyday. Again like I said - I am a bit reckless because I can handle the stuff.

Guest TabbyBoy

I can't honestly say if this is a scam or not...

I've just had eBay rule a case in my favour.  This is where I posted a tracked parcel to a buyer which ParcelForce showed as delivered with a signature.  The buyer (with good feedback) is adamant that the parcel wasn't delivered and that his signature may have been forged by a dishonest postman who then "stole" the parcel.  This goes to show how important tracking is for higher value items.  I've since filed a claim with ParcelForce and I will, out of the goodness of my heart (and my conscience), issue the buyer a full refund if my claim is successful.  The good thing for me is that eBay has blocked this buyer from leaving me negative feedback.  My gut feeling is that the buyer is genuine, and I can imagine how pissed off he must be if he's out of pocket so, I hope to make his day by refunding him once I claim is settled.  I gave eBay all the evidence I had and this was their decision:

Dear <ID Removed>
Customer Support has reviewed the case and made a final decision.
We've decided not to issue the buyer with a refund. You don't need to do anything else for this case. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed. This case is closed.

Decision:
This case has been decided in your favour. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

Comments:
We received tracking information from you, around the time the buyer opened the case, that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address. You don't need to do anything else. Because we decided in your favour, this case, any Feedback left, and all detailed seller ratings left will not affect your seller performance. In addition, any Feedback left for this transaction will be removed. Note: It may take up to 24 hours for these updates to reflect in your Seller Dashboard.

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Centre.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh he hasn't sold anything in months and then adds tons of lego sets with best offer.

Can't imagine is legit - most likely hacked account. I sent him a message when I saw the ewok villages come up. Had a real picture but best offer and low price and a lot of available. Haven't heard back. So it's almost certainly a scan.

I am gonna star reporting all the listings. I would suggest others do it as well.

What's funny is some of his stuff is appropriately priced. But then you have Dino defense for 100$. Lol

Heh he hasn't sold anything in months and then adds tons of lego sets with best offer.

Can't imagine is legit - most likely hacked account. I sent him a message when I saw the ewok villages come up. Had a real picture but best offer and low price and a lot of available. Haven't heard back. So it's almost certainly a scan.

I am gonna star reporting all the listings. I would suggest others do it as well.

What's funny is some of his stuff is appropriately priced. But then you have Dino defense for 100$. Lol

Let us know if you hear back from them.

He was responsive. LOL. Here was the conversation:

Me: Are these items sent directly from your residence, or sent directly from another business (drop=shipped)?

Note: This was sent before he listed any retired sets. I assumed off the bat it was a hacked account or drop shipper.

Him: No these are sent from my residence.

Me: I live fairly close to you. If I make a very large purchase, could I run over and pick the items up? You would save 100s on shipping.

Him: Unfortunately I can not accommodate local pickup.

- Obviously from here the scam is pretty much confirmed so I just started trolling him:

Me: So how did you hack this guy's account? I am interested, just for scientific reasons as it looks like he was actually a legit seller.

Me: Also, if I do give you money, how are you getting away with pulling it from Paypal? Are you a wizard?

Me: I am actually thinking about buying some of your stuff now. I mean, I know its a scam, but if 1000s of dollars are tied up in your scheme here, I can't spend it on other stuff I don't need. Right?

Yeah he didn't respond to any of those. lol