Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

Not allowing people to pick up does not confirm a scam.

I'm not saying this ISN'T a scam (although scammers/account hackers often don't bother to answer questions at all, so that's a point in his favor) but there are many legitimate sellers, including me, who aren't interested in dealing with customers face to face, particularly if we're running the business out of our homes.

I'm not saying this ISN'T a scam (although scammers/account hackers often don't bother to answer questions at all, so that's a point in his favor) but there are many legitimate sellers, including me, who aren't interested in dealing with customers face to face, particularly if we're running the business out of our homes.

Agreed, I do not meet people in person .. does not mean its a scam. If i wanted to meet people face to face I would do craigslist at the risk of getting robbed and stabbed. No Thanks

Guest TabbyBoy

What gets up my nose are sellers listing substandard crap like Megabloks, MY, Wange, etc. in the LEGO category.  I'm surprised LEGO hasn't complained to eBay as I would if it was my product.  I'm sick of trawling through worthless knock-offs and "custom" minifigs to find the stuff I want.

What gets up my nose are sellers listing substandard crap like Megabloks, MY, Wange, etc. in the LEGO category.  I'm surprised LEGO hasn't complained to eBay as I would if it was my product.  I'm sick of trawling through worthless knock-offs and "custom" minifigs to find the stuff I want.

i wonder why neither ebay or Lego seem to be bothered about these "custom" lookey likey minifigures which are blatantly forgeries. I sent an generic report on one seller and I'm still waiting on reply from ebay. The thread I started about the Superhero fakes has a lot of investors worried about the effects these copies will have on their investments later down the line. I completely agree with them. Ebay is becoming the number one place of choice for knock off stolen and fake goods. It puts Del Boy to shame. I'm very wary about buying anything on ebay now.

Agreed, I do not meet people in person .. does not mean its a scam. If i wanted to meet people face to face I would do craigslist at the risk of getting robbed and stabbed. No Thanks

No you all are right - I should have clarified that this is really the icing on the cake so to speak. This alone means nothing. But combined with the other issues: Never sold a Lego set but now has 100s, selling for cheap prices, Best Offer on everything, hasn't sold ANYTHING in 3 months, lots of stock photos. Etc.

You all are absolutely correct in that its fine for some people to not want to meet face to face. Definitely not weird.

Re: Using your own photos vs. stock...Wondering if it makes a difference if you are just starting out and still trying to build up your feedback score. Would using your own photos help reassure the buyer that you're legit?

I think its fine if your stuff is new and it doesn't hurt you too bad. I use it on some stuff honestly because I know it wont make a damn bit of difference or because it looks better.

For instance, I part of Tower of Orthanic. If I sell just the tower and take pictures of the bags and instructions, it doesn't look near as good as a badass picture of the tower, right?

I usually do just include that as a secondary picture. But you definitely wont LOSE sales over it, they just may not come as fast

I think its fine if your stuff is new and it doesn't hurt you too bad. I use it on some stuff honestly because I know it wont make a damn bit of difference or because it looks better.

For instance, I part of Tower of Orthanic. If I sell just the tower and take pictures of the bags and instructions, it doesn't look near as good as a badass picture of the tower, right?

I usually do just include that as a secondary picture. But you definitely wont LOSE sales over it, they just may not come as fast

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll try badass stock photo + secondary picture(s) of actual product.  :thumbsup:

Update on this clown...his feedback is going down in flames. Over 60 negative feed backs over the past few days. I just filed my claim with paypal today, and had my $1200 refunded within 10 minutes of me filing the claim. I was surprised it came so fast. I figured it was too good to be true, but was caught up in all of the great deals going on at the time when I bought the 5 imperial shuttles from him. His positive feedback at the time of purchase selling lego was what prompted me to buy. Since I received my money back so quickly I was nice and gave him a neutral. I'll let all the moms, dads, and grandparents who were counting on this idiot for Christmas presents storm his castle with pitchforks in hand and finish the assault on his feedback. Live and learn.

Now...who here has 5 imperial shuttles they want to sell me for $1200? Lol

was there any outcome of this seller?

Not sure....but looks like he had plenty of income!  Not sure if there was any lego outcome in trade.

Wtf?  2 people already got their lego ans led  positive reviews.

These scams are getting fancy!

I bought, but haven't paid yet. I requested 7-10 days to pay, to see if any legitimate feedback hit his account. He responded promptly and said it was no problem. So I guess we'll just see what we'll see...

Sorry...my previous post was in response to these posts. Multi quote got messed up...

Glad I didn't pay... But now I have three items in my "cart" and I have no idea how to delete them. He won't respond to a cancel request, so I suppose I'll have to contact ebay customer support.

And yes, I started this thread. And yes, I was 60% sure this account was bogus. But a 40% chance of scoring a $160 DA was worth the hassle. Plus, he did have good feedback for selling Lego.

Hopefully everyone else is getting their money back as easily as Terry did.

• Like 1

Hi,

Recently sold a few items on eBay and noticed the buyer names were in Chinese characters. Then checked out the shipping addresses, they were in the US but they look like this:

huang cong FINTF
9640 KLINGERMAN ST # 103284

SOUTH EL MONTE CA

QiuXiaoGuangQiuXiaoGuang

7911 NE 33rd Dr C/O XCK915 Ste 310
Portland OR 

So its obvious they're overseas buyers using a shipping service. Is this a scam? 

-HWB

Hi,

Recently sold a few items on eBay and noticed the buyer names were in Chinese characters. Then checked out the shipping addresses, they were in the US but they look like this:

huang cong FINTF

9640 KLINGERMAN ST # 103284

SOUTH EL MONTE CA

QiuXiaoGuangQiuXiaoGuang

7911 NE 33rd Dr C/O XCK915 Ste 310

Portland OR 

So its obvious they're overseas buyers using a shipping service. Is this a scam? 

-HWB

not necessarily.  I sent one of my crawlers that way.  Had no issue.  Also, if you check out one of the threads here (not sure which) people were talking about having a US host to avoid customs and shipping bla stuff.  So what i'm saying is the person could have a homie in the US. 

Or it could be a scam, but i've had good luck.

It's just a freight forwarding company and/or relative who is forwarding their packages. Provided eBay and PayPal show you the "okay to ship" information to the address they give you, and provided you follow the shipping rules for seller protection (tracking number, signature confirmation over $250), you'll be fine like with all other domestic shipments.

• 3 weeks later...