Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

Well I am only interested in lego so let's take your 3438 as an example. As a buyer in the UK I am paying $51.73 thru your GSP program. Via USPS Priority Mail it is $37.53 to ship and that is me being generous with a 1.5 box to ship this small set. $44.02 via Priority Mail Express. 

I am just saying if your buyer is prepared to pay top dollar why not ship yourself and pocket that extra money instead of ebay and its parnter? I guess the point will be mute once GSP is mandatory.

Shipping that item via first class with a more realistic box would cost about a quarter of what the GSP would charge your buyer. Would still like a verifiable auction where GSP is cheaper to take to the ebay boards as we are still trying to find once instance where GSP is advantageous to the buyer. Oh and please go back and remove your ebay user id....sorry should have asked for that info thru a PM.

Well I am only interested in lego so let's take your 3438 as an example. As a buyer in the UK I am paying $51.73 thru your GSP program. Via USPS Priority Mail it is $37.53 to ship and that is me being generous with a 1.5 box to ship this small set. $44.02 via Priority Mail Express. 

I am just saying if your buyer is prepared to pay top dollar why not ship yourself and pocket that extra money instead of ebay and its parnter? I guess the point will be mute once GSP is mandatory.

Didn't you just say we were going to compare apples to apples? :-)

Here's the actual charges quoted for GSP on eBay:

Shipping and Handling: $16.09

versus $44.02 Priority Mail Express (using your cheaper example).

Import Charges (estimated): $35.64 (not covered by the USPS postage of $44.02, so whatever the import charges would be to the UK, including their mandatory VAT, the buyer is going to pay in ADDITION to the $44.02.

Comparing apples to apples again: For sellers who are comfortable shipping internationally, the GSP may not always be the "right choice" for them.

But for sellers who are NOT comfortable shipping internationally, the GSP can be a very good choice indeed.

I am very comfortable shipping internationally, but I enjoy the simplicity and security of the GSP and use it in whatever categories I can. I use my own international shipping in the categories I can't. That's the right choice for me.

Shipping that item via first class with a more realistic box would cost about a quarter of what the GSP would charge your buyer. Would still like a verifiable auction where GSP is cheaper to take to the ebay boards as we are still trying to find once instance where GSP is advantageous to the buyer.

The one you just listed is a good choice - VAT and import fees to the UK on a $125 item won't be peanuts and certainly won't be the $6.00 cost difference between the total GSP charges and the total postage plus VAT/import charges through USPS.

Edited to add: "advantageous to the buyer" is a fine goal within reason and the seller's own goals. It's quite advantageous to buyers if I simply send them all my items for free, perhaps with a lovely additional gift. I don't much care to give them that advantage.

Each seller can decide for themselves how much advantage they want to provide for their buyers. Each buyer can decide for themselves whether the price plus shipping and fees for a given items looks good to them, or if they want to bat at strawmen they can hate the seller who's the lowest price for them because that seller uses GSP, or uses pink tissue paper, or has a name not beginning with the letter "Q". It's a largely free world.

Second edit to add: (I'm trying not to artificially run up my brickpoints by posting more posts than needed :-) -- I doubt the GSP will become mandatory for sellers who want to offer their own int'l shipping (it may become mandatory for those who don't, that's a better chance in my opinion); but, I think if they're not already, eBay will be offering search boosts to GSP over non-GSP international sellers on the foreign sites (this is merely my supposition, not something I know for fact). Another thing to consider for those leaning toward GSP.

As I said that first quote was for a 1.5lb box. I am guessing for a small set you would not use such a large box and the first class price would be cheaper than one quarter of the total GSP quote.

I guess that is what it all comes down to...GSP forces custom fees plus an additonal charge (ebays cut - UK customs on the above example would be $28.22 while they charge $35.64) on the buyer while those who ship themselves tend to get the packages through without the extra customs charges and can hence sell alot more profitably.

Unfortunately I have a feeling the point will be mute come the spring update. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh. I just got scammed.

I sold a Darth Maul Sith Infiltrator (7961) for $40 + $15 shipping. I indicated in the aution, no returns.

The purchaser received the item, filed a claim with paypal that it was not as decribed/opened.

I knew for certain that it wasn't opened, but that the box wasn't perfect.

I offered a refund, if the buyer returned it on their own dime.

What I got back wasn't the same box, but rather something that was half assembled, missing the minifigures.

I know it was my fault for not including pictures of the actual box I was sending, but I want others on here to know about this guy.

his user name is moex-sport

Guest TabbyBoy

Ugh. I just got scammed.

I sold a Darth Maul Sith Infiltrator (7961) for $40 + $15 shipping. I indicated in the aution, no returns.

The purchaser received the item, filed a claim with paypal that it was not as decribed/opened.

What I got back wasn't the same box, but rather something that was half assembled, missing the minifigures.

I know it was my fault for not including pictures of the actual box I was sending, but I want others on here to know about this guy.

Thanks, I'll block him.

Guest TabbyBoy

If you bought it at Walmart there is no way to know for certain it wasn't opened. We have got several sets that had been returned resealed and missing the figures. Some had the flaps glued down.

That reminds me of Argos in the UK.  I'm sure that most of the crap they send out mail order (in thin plastic bags without protection) are customer returns or seconds that are just thrown (literally) back into their warehouse unchecked.  I once ordered 30x Captain America Avenging Cycles from there and guess how many I returned?  That's right, all 30!  I have evidence, Argos so... go ahead and sue me!

Ugh. I just got scammed.

Report the buyer and fight it. Even if you're out of luck (and you may be, not using your own photos for eBay to compare), it will put him on record with eBay and the next guy he tries to scam might have a chance of getting this guy booted off the site.

You can report him from the transaction shown on your My eBay page.

Report the buyer and fight it. Even if you're out of luck (and you may be, not using your own photos for eBay to compare), it will put him on record with eBay and the next guy he tries to scam might have a chance of getting this guy booted off the site.

You can report him from the transaction shown on your My eBay page.

I agree. Also I would honestly tell him you have alerted others of his scam and ebay name. Sometimes this gets people to realize they aren't getting away with it.

If you bought it at Walmart there is no way to know for certain it wasn't opened. We have got several sets that had been returned resealed and missing the figures. Some had the flaps glued down.

I found a set at Walmart last year exactly like that with the flaps glued down. You could hear the contents inside shift about hitting the sides of the box when tilted one way or the other because it was opened including the bags. I ended up buying it for the price which rang up close to 60% off. Everything was there except for a tiny amount of easy to replace parts and in near mint condition. I was rather lucky there with all things considered.

Guest TabbyBoy

I found a set at Walmart last year exactly like that with the flaps glued down. You could hear the contents inside shift about hitting the sides of the box when tilted one way or the other because it was opened including the bags. I ended up buying it for the price which rang up close to 60% off. Everything was there except for a tiny amount of easy to replace parts and in near mint condition. I was rather lucky there with all things considered.

I've actually complained to Lego direct in one instance regarding a glued down box and a few missing parts from a set I bought from a well known store on eBay  and they had none left at my local branch to replace it with.  Lego said, "Thank you for informing us and we'll look into it for you".  About a month weeks later I had a MINT replacement set posted to me and they didn't ask for the old one back so, I took the other one back to my local store for a refund without fuss.  Worth the hassle in the end for a free VW Camper!  Since then, I've bought a bunch of them.  How's that for customer service?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Set-10216-Winter-Village-Bakery-MISB-/261324946534?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item3cd82e3c66

Anyone else think this a drop ship scam? Stock photo, 5 days to ship after cleared payment and really low price.

Possibly, but I am thinking that the low price doesn't really count as a sign of a drop ship scam. It's an auction after all, and plenty of sellers start out bidding at $0.01 to draw some attention. Often stock photos are just used because the seller is too lazy, or they've already boxed up the set, so they don't have an actual image. The seller has handled quite a few 2+ year old LEGO sets in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if are just in boxes. Plus, the seller has used legit pictures in at least one listing, which was for the 10196 Grand Carousel.

Yeah, I should totally quit being lazy and take hundreds of photos each month instead of taking advantage of that super-efficient time-saving thing known as stock photos.

Lol.

Stock photos are dangerous - but in a lot of cases I agree with you Jackson. New sets that are mint, new minifigures, etc. - I don't think stock photos matter.

I use stock photos for almost all my minifigures and I still sell them with ease in most cases. I actually tested it and set up pictures for some sets and some minifigures and noticed no difference.

Guest TabbyBoy

I often use a 1p start bid to attract watchers and hopefully start a bidding war. I also use stock photos (with Lego permission) if set is mint or my own if not. Any price before the final moments of an auction is meaningless as the final price is determined within the last few seconds.

I'm surprised to hear some of the opinions about stock photos.  Of course, it's easier and faster to use them.  I would have thought that, when selling MISB stuff, you'd want to include your own pictures to prove that your item is, indeed, MISB.  Also, knowing that there are scammers out there selling stuff that they don't actually have, I always prefer to use my own photos when selling, and to see non-stock photos when buying.  Not that there aren't ways to scam while using non-stock pics; it just gives me a certain level of comfort.  All else being equal, I would buy from someone using non-stock photos versus someone using stock pics.

I'm surprised to hear some of the opinions about stock photos.  Of course, it's easier and faster to use them.  I would have thought that, when selling MISB stuff, you'd want to include your own pictures to prove that your item is, indeed, MISB.  Also, knowing that there are scammers out there selling stuff that they don't actually have, I always prefer to use my own photos when selling, and to see non-stock photos when buying.  Not that there aren't ways to scam while using non-stock pics; it just gives me a certain level of comfort.  All else being equal, I would buy from someone using non-stock photos versus someone using stock pics.

I agree with MISB. I use stock photos in these cases:

1. Selling new Minifigures

2. Selling sets without minifigures

3. Selling something small that is fairly generic   - like a small city set, or a polybag.

Why? Because no one really cares between the two for those. Used and new sets, I mostly use real photos.

Think about it though - what if you are selling 10 MISB sets that are all the same. Do you make an individual listing for each one with different pictures? No - because you wouldn't save on listing fees. SO you just do quantity and use one set of them. To me - thats sort of the same thing as stock because they are getting a similar item.

I bought an invisible pen, with a small blacklight. I put my initials on the box or tag or whatever, which only shows up with the light. Best three dollar investment ever. Recently had a buyer tell me I sent her navy shorts, not black. ( underarmour). I apologized and told her to send it back and I would refund all monies, including return postage. " and oh, by the way, my initials, first middle and last name were on the tag." All of a sudden, she wanted to keep the navy shorts I had sent her

• Like 3

I agree with MISB. I use stock photos in these cases:

1. Selling new Minifigures

2. Selling sets without minifigures

3. Selling something small that is fairly generic   - like a small city set, or a polybag.

Why? Because no one really cares between the two for those. Used and new sets, I mostly use real photos.

Think about it though - what if you are selling 10 MISB sets that are all the same. Do you make an individual listing for each one with different pictures? No - because you wouldn't save on listing fees. SO you just do quantity and use one set of them. To me - thats sort of the same thing as stock because they are getting a similar item.

I get what you're saying, and when I have multiples of the same MISB item, I only take pics of one and use that for all. And, for the sealed minifigs, there's no point in taking a pic of a sealed, non-transparent bag that isn't going to show you anything anyway. :)

I appreciate your comments and always enjoy hearing how others approach selling on EBay.