Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

It's a weird listing to say the least. He has an ACTUAL picture of the item (could be lifted from anywhere of course) and he goes on about blocking international bidders. Just wondering...how do these people actually get (and keep) their money? Seems like they'd have to empty their account and close it down befor Paypal starts with all the chargebacks. But I had one where Paypal froze funds less then 24 hours after the customer paid (still not sure why, Paypal sucks sometimes like that).

It's a weird listing to say the least. He has an ACTUAL picture of the item (could be lifted from anywhere of course) and he goes on about blocking international bidders. Just wondering...how do these people actually get (and keep) their money? Seems like they'd have to empty their account and close it down befor Paypal starts with all the chargebacks. But I had one where Paypal froze funds less then 24 hours after the customer paid (still not sure why, Paypal sucks sometimes like that).

This is probably going to be a completely stupid and random question, but what is the person listing these items after from the victim? Credit/Personal information? Using a stolen card?

My best guess is one of these things:

1. Grabbing personal information from the people who buy it.

2. Fake ship it and claim it was received or something of that nature.

But I don't really know. It always seems to be people who speak broken english when you email them as well so who knows.

10 idiots fell for this scam.  Amazing.

In the words of south park...

Kyle: Because anybody who thinks 9/11 was a conspiracy is a retard!

Cartman: Oh really? Well did you know that over one-fourth of people in America think that 9/11 was a conspiracy? Are you saying that one-fourth of Americans are retards?

Kyle: Yes. I'm saying one-fourth of Americans are retards.

Stan: Yeah, at least one-fourth.

Kyle: Let's take a test sample: There's four of us, you're a retard, that's one-fourth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this guy has been harvesting feedback over the past hour or so, just a heads up. Joined today and keeps selling items in seconds and, apparently, shipping them at the speed of light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-City-Fire-Hovercraft-7944-/161110412345

All sets for 10 bucks+Free shipping? LOL

Those accounts are either trolling him or have eaten a scam my 3 year old wouldn't fall for.

Ok, this guy has been harvesting feedback over the past hour or so, just a heads up. Joined today and keeps selling items in seconds and, apparently, shipping them at the speed of light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-City-Fire-Hovercraft-7944-/161110412345

This is perhaps the most weirdly organized scam ever. I see two possibilities. 1. He's buying feedback. Get attention with awesome listing for $10, pay the buyer $20, hope nobody calls you out with negatives. But some his buyers have 1000+ feedback. And every sale has positive.

Or 2. It does say local pick-up is available. If I were in Brooklyn, I'd have chanced a meet for a $10 Sail Barge. As for 20 meets in one day? Preposterous.

Neither scenario seems really likely. It's a mystery to me. Nice find Barca.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have been selling my POTC QAR on eBay.es for about 8 days now and it got "sold" earlier today.

A buyer with zero feedback, registered in the US but with a shipping address in Romania. Red flags everywhere.

I wrote him asking how he'd like to pay and I'm still waiting for his answer.

I don't think that this is a transaction that will end happily but I wanted to ask what should I do in the case that this buyer does send payment. I know that Paypal protects buyers and sellers but this is the first time that I'm on the selling side.

It's pretty cut and dry, if the shipping address is confirmed in paypal you're safe to ship but make sure you have tracking and insurance. If it's not confirmed DO NOT SHIP!

Sometimes people have family in other countries they want things shipped to as gifts but you just need to make sure you follow PayPal's rules so you're covered by them.

At least these are the guidelines in the US.

Make sure you get online viewable written signature confirmation if you do ship your item (hopefully you charged an arm and a leg for shipping as this is going to be expensive). Personally I would cancel the transaction as yes a scammer has bought your item and you are headed for grief. Romania is the Nigeria of ebay. Add Romania to your blocked countries list, update your buyer requirements under site preferences, and state in your auction you will only ship to paypal confirmed addresses. No more buyers from Romania (you may want to also block Brazil, Africa, Russia, Italy and any other country your preferred insurance provider will not cover).

I concur with Ash's list of problem countries. I have seen several posts lately from BPers finding themselves in this kind of problem - everyone who is not experienced selling internationally, be proactive! Don't just pick "worldwide shipping" and go on your merry way.

Take the time to do some research and ask some questions about which countries to block, or pick just a few of the safer countries to learn about and ship to, or sign up for eBay's global shipping program and let the worries be theirs.

If you offer worldwide shipping without knowing what you're doing, you are going to lose product to some scammers when you ship or accumulate some negative feedback and non performing seller violations when you don't.

Make sure you get online viewable written signature confirmation if you do ship your item (hopefully you charged an arm and a leg for shipping as this is going to be expensive). Personally I would cancel the transaction as yes a scammer has bought your item and you are headed for grief. Romania is the Nigeria of ebay. Add Romania to your blocked countries list, update your buyer requirements under site preferences, and state in your auction you will only ship to paypal confirmed addresses. No more buyers from Romania (you may want to also block Brazil, Africa, Russia, Italy and any other country your preferred insurance provider will not cover).

Just curious, will it still be an issue if Global Shipping Program was used for out of country delivery?   I thought they will cover scam like this.

Just curious, will it still be an issue if Global Shipping Program was used for out of country delivery?   I thought they will cover scam like this.

GSP only covers a handful of the safer countries. IMO you are much better off avoiding GSP and their extremely high prices and shipping to those very safe countries directly yourself. There are plenty of great customers in the hundreds of other countries GSP will not ship to but there are also a handful of countires where the risk of loss is so great your best bet is not to sell to anyone in those countires - add them to your blocked list.

GSP only covers a handful of the safer countries. IMO you are much better off avoiding GSP and their extremely high prices and shipping to those very safe countries directly yourself. There are plenty of great customers in the hundreds of other countries GSP will not ship to but there are also a handful of countires where the risk of loss is so great your best bet is not to sell to anyone in those countires - add them to your blocked list.

This is the current list of GSP eligible countries:

• Australia

• Austria

• Belgium

• Bulgaria

• Canada

• China

• Cyprus

• Czech Republic

• Denmark

• Estonia

• Finland

• France

• Germany

• Greece

• Hong Kong

• Hungary

• Indonesia

• Ireland

• Italy

• Japan

• Latvia

• Lithuania

• Malta

• Netherlands

• Poland

• Portugal

• Romania

• Russia

• South Africa

• South Korea

• Spain

• Sweden

• Slovakia

• Slovenia

• Taiwan

• Thailand

• United Kingdom

As you can see, lots of "non-safe" countries on the list, including the OP's country of concern, Romania.

In addition, I have been shipping with GSP multiple times per week since January, and have found their prices to be cheaper than USPS Priority Mail with tracking in every case. They are not usually cheaper than First Class Int'l Package, however that's only good for up to 4 pounds and even the countries offered in their tracking are not reliable yet (Canada mostly, UK 100% so far for me, Australia 0%, etc.)

Finally, GSP is an excellent choice for those sellers who don't have the time or don't want to take the time to learn to ship internationally, or those who don't want to absorb the risk themselves - for those sellers who do not or should not offer their own international shipping, the GSP will get them sales they would otherwise actually not have received.

I have not once seen an instance where an item would be cheaper to send via GSP over USPS Priority Mail. Are you talking about your cost and ignoring the extra brokerage fees paid for by the buyer? Also are you talking comm base plus pricing for Priority Mail? Could you give an example? I am sure you are making an error in your calculations as GSP is notoriously more expensive and a good cash cow for ebay and hence is avoded by most sellers. If you can cite an example I would love to compare with a quote from USPS...I fail to see how it could possibly be cheaper if you are also adding in all of the fees paid by the buyer....I am guessing you are just talking about your fees to ship to Kentucky.

BTW I only see 3 non-safe countires on that list - Romania, Italy and Russia and I will never do business with customers there for any reason.

I have not once seen an instance where an item would be cheaper to send via GSP over USPS Priority Mail. Are you talking about your cost and ignoring the extra brokerage fees paid for by the buyer? Also are you talking comm base plus pricing for Priority Mail? Could you give an example? I am sure you are making an error in your calculations as GSP is notoriously more expensive and a good cash cow for ebay and hence is avoded by most sellers. If you can cite an example I would love to compare with a quote from USPS...I fail to see how it could possibly be cheaper if you are also adding in all of the fees paid by the buyer....I am guessing you are just talking about your fees to ship to Kentucky.

BTW I only see 3 non-safe countires on that list - Romania, Italy and Russia and I will never do business with customers there for any reason.

My examples are every GSP shipment I have made this year - over 100 - in every instance, the entire shipping fee including the brokerage fee and usually including any VAT, import tax, etc., is cheaper for the buyer than online priced international priority mail with tracking.

Yes, GSP is "notorious", and that's because there's a lot of false information - like they "only ship to a few safe countries" :-)

GSP does have its flaws for some sellers - it is typically pricier than FCMI package and some sellers prefer to self-insure through the iffy or non-offered tracking for same for items under 4 pounds.

I won't give you 100+ examples, but these are our last three:

2 pound package (14x12x4) to Australia - GSP price for ALL shipping and customs and brokerage fees (everything except the actual item price): $29.12

2 pound package (12x12x3) to France - GSP price for ALL shipping and customs and brokerage fees (everything except the actual item price): $26.18

3 pound package (14x10x6) to the UK - GSP price for ALL shipping and customs and brokerage fees (everything except the actual item price): $23.27

It is true there are fees with GSP like brokerage fees (which I have included above) - eBay may get a cut of those from Pitney Bowes, or just as likely it all goes to Pitney Bowes and eBay simply rakes in the extra final value fees from the additional international sales that they would not have otherwise had. Regardless, I don't care if Pitney Bowes and eBay make some money - I like making money, too. ;-)

And the bottom line still remains for any seller who does not want the risk or learning curve of international shipping: some international sales are better than no international sales. That math adds up every time.

Can you post a link to those auctions so I can verify? You do understand that you as the seller never see the entire shipping amount paid by the buyer? All you see is your cut to send domestically to Kentucky. If you can link to an auction I can go icognito and get the full amount your buyer would have paid including the international component and brokerage fees....or did you already do that? Again a link to one of those auctions would be nice so we can verify we are comparing apples to apples.

Can you post a link to those auctions so I can verify? You do understand that you as the seller never see the entire shipping amount paid by the buyer? All you see is your cut to send domestically to Kentucky. If you can link to an auction I can go icognito and get the full amount your buyer would have paid including the international component and brokerage fees....or did you already do that? Again a link to one of those auctions would be nice so we can verify we are comparing apples to apples.

You're operating under more misinformation - as a seller I can easily see the entire amount paid by my buyer, along with my buyer's shipping address and country, by printing an eBay packing slip.

You can easily check GSP prices on all our current listings where GSP is offered by my user i.d., genteelfrog. We have many. Keep in mind that the prices you see there are only estimates - eBay provides the final fees to the buyers at checkouts - but I have found the estimates fairly accurate.

I should add that when you look at our listings, you're looking for ones that say "ships to united states and many other countries" - those are the GSP listings.

We do offer our own international shipping in categories where GSP is not offered (for example, book bulk lots).

Additionally, you'll see on my GSP items that I do sometimes have "exclusions" of countries - this is a mistake I made for awhile when listing items and doing some bulk changes, those exclusions are the countries I don't offer shipping to in non-GSP supported categories, and I am in the process as I clean up listing of removing those exclusions from the GSP listings.

It's a live and learn situation, M4 :-) I hope he either never pays and you can file a non-paying bidder, get your fees back, and sell it elsewhere, or that it all goes smoothly.

Also, my apologies, I did not notice originally that you're in Spain and the whole GSP discussion doesn't apply to you at all since it's not available for sellers shipping from outside the U.S.  :shocked: