Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

• 1 month later...

Just another warning that there are a ton of fake listings for Lego going up on eBay again. They seem to come in waves. I just saw someone buy a Cafe Corner for $157. These people are definitely getting smarter about it as they are no longer using stock photos for many of the listings and making them look much more legit. I just wanted to remind people to be careful as this problem seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Edit: Someone just bought a 10129 Snowspeeder, another Cafe Corner, a SSD and others for under $200 each. All were fake listings. If this belongs in a fraud topic go ahead and move it. I just wanted to post where most people would see it to try and save some BP members from getting scammed.

Edited by Legodog
  • Like 1

what this guy with 20 sold items today and no seller feedback in the last year and one listing in German? with 60 bucks in shipping on listings?  http://www.ebay.com/sch/mlkdeals/m.html?item=141548022618&hash=item20f4eb6b5a&pt=Building_Toys_US&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

item description For Sale is my Lego Millennium Falcon set (10179). The set is 100% complete with all the pieces, figures, instructions and box. The box itself was damaged when I dropped it onto my gun safe when moving, but all pieces are present and in great shape!

Edited by blueriderbrick

Just another warning that there are a ton of fake listings for Lego going up on eBay again. They seem to come in waves. I just saw someone buy a Cafe Corner for $157. These people are definitely getting smarter about it as they are no longer using stock photos for many of the listings and making them look much more legit. I just wanted to remind people to be careful as this problem seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Edit: Someone just bought a 10129 Snowspeeder, another Cafe Corner, a SSD and others for under $200 each. All were fake listings. If this belongs in a fraud topic go ahead and move it. I just wanted to post where most people would see it to try and save some BP members from getting scammed.

I tend to stay away from sets that have lagerdamage.  No lager should be wasted on damaging a LEGO carton

• Like 3

As a ebay account holder best thing is to check on your accounts daily even if you don't use them much.  These listings are all created on hacked accounts for the most part.  Good feedback accounts with no usage in a long period of time.

Its a good way not to lose your accounts either.  Ebay is stepping in and "linking" unused accounts and putting selling limits on these accounts just to provide some safety of them getting hacked while not in use to be used for this purpose.  As the account owner you can get them reinstated but its a PITA process.

The last sweep they did was Nov 4th. It does say in the user agreement ebay has the right to cancel / limit accounts that are not being used.  The way they do it isn't the best in my opinion as they make up accounts that you are supposedly "linked" to.  Instead they could just limit it for inactivity but I guess there system isn't set up that way.

• 8 months later...

lego simpsons e-mart 71016 listed on ebay for $160 w/ best offer and free shipping.  from a new seller with 0 feedback. more than 10 available.  a scam? too good to be true?  should i take a risk? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-The-Simpsons-The-Kwik-E-Mart-/252128143355?hash=item3ab40227fb:g:ftoAAOSw14xWIQIe

Ridiculous, much like their other listing of 42009 for 99$.  Yeah, sure, sure.  And folks will fall for it.

lego simpsons e-mart 71016 listed on ebay for $160 w/ best offer and free shipping.  from a new seller with 0 feedback. more than 10 available.  a scam? too good to be true?  should i take a risk? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-The-Simpsons-The-Kwik-E-Mart-/252128143355?hash=item3ab40227fb:g:ftoAAOSw14xWIQIe

Considering his account was started yesterday and you can only order one, unless you ship to multiple addresses...I would say that this is a scam and you will probably get it delivered while being purchased with a stolen Credit Card.

If they had one at that price I'd maybe gamble on it - maybe someone trying to quickly offload a set they don't want. but more than 10 available? :mad:

• Like 1

Considering his account was started yesterday and you can only order one, unless you ship to multiple addresses...I would say that this is a scam and you will probably get it delivered while being purchased with a stolen Credit Card.

I bet no one gets anything good...

good point, i didn't see that part on the one per address thing, looks like there's the hint to a big no no drop ship

reported, weird enough that the listing seems still active, but when hitting 'items for sale', there's none... lol

What could possibly happen?  I either get the set or I get my $$ back...  What's the problem?

Besides encouraging a scammer and helping facilitate online fraud and helping to ruin the secondary market I guess nothing