Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

• 3 weeks later...

This event was for a listing that wasn't LEGO but I'm curious if anybody's been in a similar situation.

I recently sold an iTunes Gift Card on Ebay, the buyer left a note on Paypal at the purchase asking if I could just send the code to them through ebay messaging to save on shipping.  So I did and issued a $2.00 refund.  Within 5 minutes of me hitting send, I get an email from PayPal saying the buyer has filed an unauthorized account activity claim.  I explained to PayPal what had transpired including pointing out the note attached to the transaction but still haven't heard back.  I figure I'll lose that case and am out the gift card since PayPal doesn't protect sellers for any gift cards but that's not what I'm worrying about.  I just went to their profile on Ebay and it seems they are leaving negative feedback on several other sellers who they also purchased iTunes gift cards from.

I reported the buyer to Ebay but I'm not sure how to avoid getting a negative feed.  According to PayPal, the buyer is claiming they were hacked or something.  Any advice?  I'm still under 100 for feedback so having a negative will impact my rating severely.

In the future, never send any codes via messaging. Always mail them the item. I sold a bunch of CoD: Black Op's Zombie Maps tokens a few years back and had several people ask me to email them the code, but I clearly stated in my auction that I would not do that and refused the request.

just my $0.02

It doesn't make sense that they are leaving negative feedback for people if it truly was an account that was hacked. Who is leaving the feedback? The real person or the hacker? If it's the real person why would they leave negative feedback? I guess you can try sending a message to the buyer and hope that the real person sees it. Explain what happened and that you are out the gift card. If you do get negative feedback you may be able to appeal it and get it removed.

It doesn't make sense that they are leaving negative feedback for people if it truly was an account that was hacked. Who is leaving the feedback? The real person or the hacker? If it's the real person why would they leave negative feedback? I guess you can try sending a message to the buyer and hope that the real person sees it. Explain what happened and that you are out the gift card. If you do get negative feedback you may be able to appeal it and get it removed.

Likely it is just the owner of the account trying to scam people. Since eBay sides with the buyer the majority of the time, they have not yet figured out that this buyer is a ******.

It is no different than people trying to do chargebacks via paypal (unauthorized card use) after receiving the item and leaving the seller positive feedback. 

This is why I'm led to believe that there was no "hacking" of their account or anything.  The real hacker would get their free cards, and move on.  Just the fact that the claim was made within 5 minutes of me sending and them using the card(immediately attempted redeeming once I saw the PayPal email) is sketchy at best.  That along with the buyer actually wanting the $2 shipping refund.  Just wish Ebay would actually have a human investigate instead of their buyer biased system.  

Appeal any negative feedback. Ebay has little patience for habitual negative feedback or ratings. Likely they will see the pattern with this buyer and remove the feedback. It might not hurt to call ebay's customer service. As useless as they usually are, reporting a scammer might pique their attention. Might.

• Like 1

Why can't you contact Apple and have them freeze the funds from that code?  Report it stolen.  You have the numbers, and they will be able to trace it to an Apple ID, if it was used.  Provide Ebay with that Apple ID, and maybe they can bust the guy.

• Like 1

Appeal any negative feedback. Ebay has little patience for habitual negative feedback or ratings. Likely they will see the pattern with this buyer and remove the feedback. It might not hurt to call ebay's customer service. As useless as they usually are, reporting a scammer might pique their attention. Might.

I'll go this route and hope for the best.  Thanks!

Why can't you contact Apple and have them freeze the funds from that code?  Report it stolen.  You have the numbers, and they will be able to trace it to an Apple ID, if it was used.  Provide Ebay with that Apple ID, and maybe they can bust the guy.

Tried that but they told me they're unable to see which accounts use the cards.  With all the complaints about iTunes cards they receive, you'd think they'd be have some sort of tracking but guess that's not their priority :/

you've got the guys address, report him to his local police, or go beat the kids ass yourself if you're close enough

They're 7 hours from me, not worth the gas.  I did verify their phone number they listed is legit though so I may or may not have had a little fun with that on craigslist.  :rofl:

• Like 1

I did verify their phone number they listed is legit though so I may or may not have had a little fun with that on craigslist.  :rofl:

You can copy/paste my template if you like:

MEDICAL BILLS = LEGO SALE ($1)

I need money ASAP for an operation and need to unload my lego collection. All items are 50% off MSRP. Would prefer to sell as lot but buyout offers for everything considered.

(long list of uber rare / old / retired stuff goes here)

I work days so please call after 10pm @ xxx-xxx-xxxx. DO NOT EMAIL.

Thank you for helping me through this difficult time!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hi all!

In the past week, I have sold two Battle of Helm's Deep via Global Shipping Program to two different people from Ireland with stereotypical names who joined in the past week.  Neither has any feedback.  I'm based in the UK.

It's got me paranoid because I've not sold any other BoHD recently and now suddenly I sell two to Ireland to new people with no feedback?  What are the chances?  That has triggered me to wonder if there are any current known scams that are done by buyers to either hurt eBay or sellers.  Please let me (and others reading this thread) know if you know of any scams that are done by buyers to hurt sellers?

Both have paid by PayPal.  And I post everything insured and with signature on delivery, so I'm likely protected even if there is a scam, but I would still like to hear if anyone's run into anything recently.

Many thanks!

Edited by Gondorian

I get a lot of brand new buyers from Russia. One day I had three new Russian buyers, two had addresses on the same street. I called ebay and told them that it doesn't seem right. They said they paid, it cleared, I need to ship. About two weeks later I got a credit card dispute claim through PayPal. I showed what I had done and got the money back. I've had three card disputes with new Russian buyers in the past 2 months but I haven't been out the money on any of them. I definitely think they're using stolen credit cards but there doesn't seem to be any option other than to ship because ebay says the buyer paid.

I get a lot of brand new buyers from Russia. One day I had three new Russian buyers, two had addresses on the same street. I called ebay and told them that it doesn't seem right. They said they paid, it cleared, I need to ship. About two weeks later I got a credit card dispute claim through PayPal. I showed what I had done and got the money back. I've had three card disputes with new Russian buyers in the past 2 months but I haven't been out the money on any of them. I definitely think they're using stolen credit cards but there doesn't seem to be any option other than to ship because ebay says the buyer paid.

I don't ship to Russia or South Korea because of various reasons. Not even with GSP. Any more issues and I'll stop sending to Italy as well.

I believe within the GSP options when you create an eBay listing, you can exclude specific countries.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#offering

I generally exclude any/all countries where there are high probabilities of scams which basically means Eastern Europe, Southeast Asian, Africa, etc.

Edited by grackleflint

I believe within the GSP options when you create an eBay listing, you can exclude specific countries.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#offering

I generally exclude any/all countries where there are high probabilities of scams which basically means Eastern Europe, Southeast Asian, Africa, etc.

With the high number of immigrants and EU laws basically you could exclude Western Europe as well. Actually, Eastern scammers nowadays tend to operate from Western addresses to seem more trustable. The dangers in Eastern Europe are the state run postal services where valuable shipments tend to go "missing", which you can easily avoid by using other services. 

Edited by inversion

Guest TabbyBoy

I've only ever sold large sets to UK buyers only. I have enough friends And family around the country to "pay someone a visit" if the need arises and, luckily so far, there has been no need to. Always use tracking... period!

Russian and South Korean buyers put me off international shipping.

so just to be clear, what you've done is what?  Call Ebay ahead of time and made a record of the call?  Please clarify for newbies like me.  Thanks.