The Hobbit 2014

I stopped by my local TRU on Saturday and sure enough, all (4) sets were on the shelf. I had a 20% coupon to use and the 10% off so I figured I'd pick up a Lake Town to build. . .no dice. The lady at the register wasn't able to ring it up - their system was telling them they can't sell it (in stores at any rate) until Dec. 1st. It was priced at retail on the shelf, that probably won't last. . .oh well. Thanks, TRU!

I stopped by my local TRU on Saturday and sure enough, all (4) sets were on the shelf. I had a 20% coupon to use and the 10% off so I figured I'd pick up a Lake Town to build. . .no dice. The lady at the register wasn't able to ring it up - their system was telling them they can't sell it (in stores at any rate) until Dec. 1st. It was priced at retail on the shelf, that probably won't last. . .oh well. Thanks, TRU!

I picked up one new set on Saturday. Said the same when they rang it up but they eventually overrode it and sold it to me after sounding like they couldn't sell it and needed to pull the new sets from the shelves. *shrug*

Nice. All depends on the manager I guess. I walked back with the manager at my store and she started personally pulling them from the shelf. . .

Did you tell them that TRU.com was already selling the lake set? That was the only one I was able to get due to tru.com selling it already.

Just got back from TRU, I picked up Mirkwood Elf Army and Dol Guldur Ambush?(the small one), got to the register, denied.  Lady called a manager to do a manager override, and he came took the sets, said they shouldn't be out there.  He offered to put them away for me, I declined as I can get them cheaper on Amazon or Lego.com in a few weeks, just like the idea of having them early, and at retail.  Still came away with some $20 LR Stagecoaches and finally found the Series 11 Grandma.  It was very hard to pass on the Constitution Train at $65, but they had a ton and I'll be back this week to get more trees.

I did pick up some $5 Disney Princess dolls as well, so it was a well rounded purchase.

Any word on whether any of this wave is a TRU exclusive a la Barrel Escape? Sounds like maybe Target is missing one of the sets? Anyone?

All four sets in this wave are your average available everywhere ones. You can find all of them listed on Target's website right now as I did a few posts back. If anything is exclusive, it would be the two hinted polybags.

All four sets in this wave are your average available everywhere ones. You can find all of them listed on Target's website right now as I did a few posts back. If anything is exclusive, it would be the two hinted polybags.

I can't find Dol Guldur Ambush on Target.com. The other three are there, though. Strange. 

I can't find Dol Guldur Ambush on Target.com. The other three are there, though. Strange.

I had a direct link to the set on Target's website but seems as though the listing was taken down. Well, it had the wrong image showing anyhow. In any case, I'm certain all four sets will be available from every retailer.

I had a direct link to the set on Target's website but seems as though the listing was taken down. Well, it had the wrong image showing anyhow. In any case, I'm certain all four sets will be available from every retailer.

Haha, I saw that link. Didn`t know there was  a Chima set called Dol Gulder until I clicked on it! Silly Target  :sarcastic:

Just curious...do you think it's worth it to get it at retail price for investing or wait for sales for these sets? Just have a feeling that the mirkwood elf army is going to fly off the shelves? 

Other than perhaps some exclusive/hard to find sets, I think it's safe to say every set will experience multiple sales before going EOL. If you want one for personal collection there's nothing wrong with paying retail/MSRP but for investing probably best to wait. MIGHT be good for a quick flip before Christmas but for longer term investing best to wait for a sale IMO.

• Like 1

Still amazed at the price on a couple of these, particularly Mirkwood Elf Army. Yes its a moderate piece count, but looking at that set makes it appear like there is a ton of value there. It didn`t occur to me when I saw the promo images a few weeks back that the price would be so low. I`m very impressed, with this. 6 min-figures, some of which are exclusive to this set (for the time being), a beast, and oh, you get a whole bunch of pieces as well. Will definitely be buying multiples of these once a sale hits (always wait for the sale, no matter how good MSRP is haha). 

Since TRU has a 15% discount on reg priced items and you can order them online, do you still think it's still worth it to order a couple?

If I could order from the states, it`s very likely that I would order some for me right now. I don`t like the sets very much (other than Mirkwood Army, which has grown on me), but I try my best to be a completest for this theme. Who knows, might crack the boxes and change my mind once they are built, but for now, not really into them. Back to your question, I would not buy to invest right now. Plenty of time for that next year (likely the year after) and better deals to be had. Depends entirely on what you`de like to do. 

• Like 1

If I could order from the states, it`s very likely that I would order some for me right now. I don`t like the sets very much (other than Mirkwood Army, which has grown on me), but I try my best to be a completest for this theme. Who knows, might crack the boxes and change my mind once they are built, but for now, not really into them. Back to your question, I would not buy to invest right now. Plenty of time for that next year (likely the year after) and better deals to be had. Depends entirely on what you`de like to do. 

Yea the mirkwood army is the only one that I like so far from the four new sets, but thanks for all the feed back.  I will hold off until more sales come along.

The new hobbit sets are no longer blocked from sale at tru. I picked up the entire set a few hours ago.

Beat me to it.  I picked up Mirkwood Elf Army today.  TRU had all 4 sets out where they only had 2 of the 4 out a few days ago.  Only got 1 as I know the price will be much lower later, but wanted this particular set for now since it's a great army builder set and we always need more elves to fight the mass of Uruk-Hai and Orcs we have.  Still all at retail as well.

Beat me to it.  I picked up Mirkwood Elf Army today.  TRU had all 4 sets out where they only had 2 of the 4 out a few days ago.  Only got 1 as I know the price will be much lower later, but wanted this particular set for now since it's a great army builder set and we always need more elves to fight the mass of Uruk-Hai and Orcs we have.  Still all at retail as well.

Did the 15% off coupon expire already?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...