The Hobbit 2014

I stuck to my rule and it paid off. This morning I purchased Battle of Five Armies for $45.59 at Target. I price matched Walgreens (20% Off Legos) and received an additional 5% off using my Target Red Card. Very Happy with this purchase. Now I sit and wait until I can get Lonely Mountain for less than $86.60.

How did you get Target to PM Walgreens since it was a % off? I thought PM was only for prices not % discounts. Did you purchase from Walgreens & bring receipt to Target? Edited by dcdfan

How did you get Target to PM Walgreens since it was a % off? I thought PM was only for prices not % discounts. Did you purchase from Walgreens & bring receipt to Target?

I just brought the ad to customer service and showed them that is was for all legos. They didn't question it or anything. They just said, "there you go and have a great weekend."

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new one yet?  Opened world wide last week end.  I'm off to see it in 45 mins

Yes, it's a shame that the beginning is not included at the end of the second movie...

Bard is great. :)

Overall this movie is ok (let's say it's the best of the three) but some parts are still meh. I'm not sure if I'll see it again in DVD (while I see LOTR movies each time a year).

IMO a good way to see immediately the difference between hobbit movies and LOTR movies, is to compare Alfrid with Grima...

• Like 1

Yes, it's a shame that the beginning is not included at the end of the second movie...

Bard is great. :)

Overall this movie is ok (let's say it's the best of the three) but some parts are still meh. I'm not sure if I'll see it again in DVD (while I see LOTR movies each time a year).

IMO a good way to see immediately the difference between hobbit movies and LOTR movies, is to compare Alfrid with Grima...

I just got back and I really enjoyed it.  My expectations were so high I am not sure they could have been met with any movie!  I wasn't a big fan of the first two the first time I saw them either and now I love them.  I think eventually it will be my favorite.  I agree LOTR is still better.  

FOR SURE they should have included the beginning of this one at the end of the last...that was BS how they ended the last one.

I saw it yesterday. It was enjoyable. There were a few WTF moments, like when an unexpected cameo occurred. I think, maybe it should have been 2 movies.

It's been so long since I read the Hobbit some of the character endings, or not (spoiler free :) ) came as a surprise. 

LOTR is my favourite Movie Trilogy of all time, I don;t think the Hobbit will be. But I will look forward to the extended edition been released on Blu-ray. Then I can watch the whole saga as 12 short movies (one disc a night).

Quick review of The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (no real spoilers). First off, let me get it out there that the Lord of the Rings trilogy might be my favorite movie of all-time. Yes, it has some flaws, but it hits all the right notes so many times that I can easily forgive its weaknesses. Anyway, the Hobbit trilogy, I knew going in, would never be able to reach those same lofty heights. The story is just...well, it's really just a treasure hunt, so the stakes aren't as high. The newest (and last!) film set in Middle Earth starts off where the last movie ended with a breathtaking attack by Smaug on Laketown. It looks just amazing. But the same opening-act energy is never quite achieved again in the rest of the film, although the barrage of will never really leave you bored. However, the inherent flaw in The Hobbit movies is that you just don't care about the characters as much as you did in Lord of the Rings. I think it's because there are less humans. We don't connect as well with dwarves, elves and wizards and Beorns. I think that was why my favorite character in this third film is Bard the Bowman. He grounds the film. Anyway, I enjoyed the film. It is probably the best of the three Hobbit films, but still, it should have just been two movies, not three. Too much filler, and Thanksgiving was just a few weeks ago so I'm stuffed. I give it 7/10.

• Like 1

The problem with the Hobbit is that Peter Jackson didn't want to make it. He put years of his life into LOTR and did not want to do it again. So Hollywood came with dump trucks of money and he said he would produce it but have others direct. Well it took so long that all the directors had to back out and Jackson had to take over. He just couldn't put his heart into it, especially when they wanted to make it into 3 movies. This is why it can never live up to LOTR.

Quick review of The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (no real spoilers). First off, let me get it out there that the Lord of the Rings trilogy might be my favorite movie of all-time. Yes, it has some flaws, but it hits all the right notes so many times that I can easily forgive its weaknesses. Anyway, the Hobbit trilogy, I knew going in, would never be able to reach those same lofty heights. The story is just...well, it's really just a treasure hunt, so the stakes aren't as high. The newest (and last!) film set in Middle Earth starts off where the last movie ended with a breathtaking attack by Smaug on Laketown. It looks just amazing. But the same opening-act energy is never quite achieved again in the rest of the film, although the barrage of will never really leave you bored. However, the inherent flaw in The Hobbit movies is that you just don't care about the characters as much as you did in Lord of the Rings. I think it's because there are less humans. We don't connect as well with dwarves, elves and wizards and Beorns. I think that was why my favorite character in this third film is Bard the Bowman. He grounds the film. Anyway, I enjoyed the film. It is probably the best of the three Hobbit films, but still, it should have just been two movies, not three. Too much filler, and Thanksgiving was just a few weeks ago so I'm stuffed. I give it 7/10.

I'd agree with most of that, one thing missing from the hobbit is the emotion. It was all over LOTR. But there is only one scene in the hobbit movies that made me well up. It got me because it was unexpected.

I'm not convinced this one is the best, as I give the other two 8/10. But I expect this latest one will grow on me. I loved the very last scene. Very circular.

The problem with the Hobbit is that Peter Jackson didn't want to make it. He put years of his life into LOTR and did not want to do it again. So Hollywood came with dump trucks of money and he said he would produce it but have others direct. Well it took so long that all the directors had to back out and Jackson had to take over. He just couldn't put his heart into it, especially when they wanted to make it into 3 movies. This is why it can never live up to LOTR.

I would not totally agree with that. Yes he initially wanted other directors but from want I read of him, he does not do projects he does not want to do. He certainly would not have made 3 movies. Yes it is not as good as LOTR, but I can see his exuberance in many scenes. I would not be surprised if we get the Silmarillion in a decade or so's time. If he can make a coherent story out of it.

I'd agree with most of that, one thing missing from the hobbit is the emotion. It was all over LOTR. But there is only one scene in the hobbit movies that made me well up. It got me because it was unexpected.

I'm not convinced this one is the best, as I give the other two 8/10. But I expect this latest one will grow on me. I loved the very last scene. Very circular.

I think that the reason there wasn't as much emotion was that the stakes weren't as high.  In LOTR it was about saving the world.  In the Hobbit it was about reclaiming a homeland.  Sure, there was peril, but not in the grand sense.  How did the world really change after the final battle? 

I do think the third Hobbit installment was the best and here is why:  It is the first one that didn't feel terribly bloated.  My favorite scene in the whole trilogy is the scene with Bilbo and Smaug.  Second, perhaps, being the Bilbo and Gollum scene in the first film.  But man...each of those films had waaay too many week, and tedious (and silly/nonsensical) scenes.  The first two, at times, felt more like a cartoon to me.  And therein lies one of the other major problems.  I don't think Jackson ever really figured out the tone of the films.  I mean, it's a story for kids, but he tried SOOOO hard to make it all connect to LOTR and appeal to adults.  So...because of the tone differential, it does feel a bit disjointed.  Have you guys seen the honest trailer for The Desolation of Smaug?  It's really funny.  I love the line that says, "So return to New Zealand's most breath-taking green screen studios..."

Hehe, that was good. Did they do a Star Wars prequel one?

Actually I was surprised how short the Hobbit 3 was, only 144 mins, return of the King was pushing 190. I see what you mean be the shift in tone, the extra scenes drawn from the appendices written years after the Hobbit are more LOTR in tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen an uptick in interest in Hobbit Lego sets since the movie came out?

After seeing the movie over Xmas the Dol Guldur sets suddenly look interesting to me. I loved the White Council vs. Nazgul battle. Wish Saruman was included. I may have to borrow him from Orthanc.

Oh and also because Thranduil:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kmallikarjuna/reasons-thranduil-is-the-real-star-of-the-desolation-of-smau?s=mobile

• 2 weeks later...

Has the latest Hobbit wave been widely available at stores in the US?

I ask as the sets have only seen limited availability in Australia and none are available online form Australian retailers, which seems quite odd considering the widespread availability of all previous Hobbit and LOTR sets. 

Has the latest Hobbit wave been widely available at stores in the US?

I ask as the sets have only seen limited availability in Australia and none are available online form Australian retailers, which seems quite odd considering the widespread availability of all previous Hobbit and LOTR sets.

The wave before this one departed very quickly from physical stores and made available online only. In all honesty I would not be surprised if these last Hobbit sets bid us all a fond farewell very soon if not already. Retailers will also need to tackle handling room for all of the offerings LEGO has planned this year between Ninjago, Chima, Star Wars, The Lego Movie, Technic, City, Creator, Basic, Minecraft, Speed Champions, and something else I'm probably forgetting.

• 2 weeks later...

What are peoples thoughts on the final wave of hobbit sets for investment purposes? I'm thinking Battle of Five Armies should produce the best return, it's got great minifigures and some nice parts to it.

I predict, that in the not so distant future, I will regret not clearing Meijer out of the Smaug set at 30% off. I have a hunch this wasn't produced to a level that it will need to be heavily discounted to clear out inventory. Just a hunch tho.

I predict, that in the not so distant future, I will regret not clearing Meijer out of the Smaug set at 30% off. I have a hunch this wasn't produced to a level that it will need to be heavily discounted to clear out inventory. Just a hunch tho.

I think you might be right. I've been watching my local Target waiting for them to drop it to 30% off, and then I'm going to pounce. They don't have that many and I know they won't likely sit on the shelf long enough to make it to 50% off (sadly). Waiting, watching the clock...

I disagree on The Lonely Mountain set. Dragon maxifig plus lots of sand green elements. It will have a decent return, perhaps on par with unexpected gathering.

The most valuable maxifig is worth, what, $100? And this set costs $130 USD without a discount. Sure, you could part this out and make money, or you could just buy a similar priced set like a modular building and make more money with less work involved.

• 1 month later...

Sets #79015 (witch-king) and 79018 (smaug) are hard to find in online retailers now (all the Hobbit line disappeared from B&M stores).

Available at Lego shop + toys'r us for the first and lego shop + amazon for the other, and that's it.

Sets 79016 and 79017 are still available here and there (online).

I just noticed this message on a toy store here in Australia:

The Hobbit ( BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES )

LEGO AUSTRALIA HAS NO STOCK AVAILABLE

Sorry they are not expecting any stock anytime soon. Expected ETA is not available.

https://www.brickbuilder.com.au/lego-australia-sale-1/hobbit.html

Seems to back up the notion that there is zero of this stock anywhere in Australia, and hasn't been since November last year. Looking at Ebay there appears to be very little demand for these sets in Australia as well, which is a shame.