The Hobbit 2014

The Witch King Battle and Lonely Mountain look like real winners to me, but the Hobbit sets haven't been doing all that spectacular yet.  I do wonder if these will have a short shelf life as I can't see many retailers holding their spots once they complete their winter resets in early 2015.  LEGO could still produce them throughout 2015 but I can't see these being around any longer than 12-15 months.  It's time for me to start buying Orthanc in October as that one will probably be done around the same time as this last wave.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure why but I'm pretty enamored with The Lonely Mountain.  But it's such an easy set to criticize:  Overpriced, lacking substance (where are all of the gold coins?).  The dragon (Smaug) is great but from an AFOL standpoint I wish he were brick built similar to one of the Ninjago dragons (but more Westernized if you know what I mean).  It does have a lot of nice detail and the color scheme is attractive for display.  I will probably buy it when it gets down to 30% off.

There are three Hobbit sets coming out this week, look for stores that get all the new ones to clear a little shelf space for it, you might catch some deals

My fred Meyer had some of the new sets up top that I was able to buy a few days early. Looks like they knocked 30% off some bigger chima sets and a castle set

My oldest son really wants the Battle of Five Armies set.  He's seen them all online and such, and that one, for him, is the most desirable.  If I had to pick one set from that group that has the best dollar-for-dollar potential I would say that is the one to get.  It's got some great figs, and appears to just be a pretty cool set.  Especially for kids who are into action-oriented sets (like my boys are).  I know my family is not the barometer for what will and won't sell, but my boys have steered me well in the past.  Anyway, I'm not sure the set has a ton of long-term investment, but I could see it parting out decently if you can get a good deal on it.

TRU had all four sets in their store yesterday. I picked up Attack on Lake-Town. I do not like to pay over, what I call, Fair Market Value.

My Fair Market Value equation:

Attack on Lake Town: 313 pieces = 31.30  (Actual: $29.99)

Witch King Battle: 101 pieces = 10.10  (Actual: $14.99)

Lonely Mountain: 866 pieces = 86.60   (Actual: $129.99)

Battle of Five Armies: 472 pieces = 47.20   (Actual: $59.99)

Sticking to my Fair Market Value equation, Attack on Lake Town is the only set coming in under Fair Market Value and therefore, thats the set I bought. Plus, at TRU, you get a free Lego Pumpkin set with the purchase of another lego set $20 or more for Rewards Members. The other Hobbit sets will have to wait until they go on sale.

I found Witch King Battle and Attack on Lake Town at Target already. The boxes stood out with their colors and art but the builds themselves still look mediocre. Considering how quick The Hobbit sets from last year disappeared from the physical stores around me very early into the New Year, I will probably just snag the smallest before this year is over and that's it for me.

All the new sets are now available on Amazon.com.

The Hobbit

79015 - Witch-King Battle - $14.99

79016 - Attack on Lake Town - $29.99

79017 - Battle of the Five Armies - $59.99

79018 - The Lonely Mountain - $129.99

Note: 79015 and 79017 are labeled backwards, so I'm not sure if they'd honor or ship 79017 for $14.99.

gave it a shot, thanks.

All the new sets are now available on Amazon.com.

The Hobbit

79015 - Witch-King Battle - $14.99

79016 - Attack on Lake Town - $29.99

79017 - Battle of the Five Armies - $59.99

79018 - The Lonely Mountain - $129.99

Note: 79015 and 79017 are labeled backwards, so I'm not sure if they'd honor or ship 79017 for $14.99.

Thanks, grabbed 2.  I'm assuming wait and see what ships and then contact support?

TRU had all four sets in their store yesterday. I picked up Attack on Lake-Town. I do not like to pay over, what I call, Fair Market Value.

My Fair Market Value equation:

Attack on Lake Town: 313 pieces = 31.30 (Actual: $29.99)

Witch King Battle: 101 pieces = 10.10 (Actual: $14.99)

Lonely Mountain: 866 pieces = 86.60 (Actual: $129.99)

Battle of Five Armies: 472 pieces = 47.20 (Actual: $59.99)

Sticking to my Fair Market Value equation, Attack on Lake Town is the only set coming in under Fair Market Value and therefore, thats the set I bought. Plus, at TRU, you get a free Lego Pumpkin set with the purchase of another lego set $20 or more for Rewards Members. The other Hobbit sets will have to wait until they go on sale.

You need a minifig modifier

You need a minifig modifier

If I stick to my rule, which in this case, it would force me to wait for clearance. Lonely Mountain at 86.60 and Battle of Five Armies for 47.20 would be a very nice purchase and I think it will happen at some point. I completely understand adding more due to the amount and quality of the minifigures, but I figure that into the equation if I were the seller and not the buyer.

• 3 weeks later...

I stuck to my rule and it paid off. This morning I purchased Battle of Five Armies for $45.59 at Target. I price matched Walgreens (20% Off Legos) and received an additional 5% off using my Target Red Card. Very Happy with this purchase. Now I sit and wait until I can get Lonely Mountain for less than $86.60.

• Like 1