The Hobbit 2014

I will admit seeing Smaug is awesome even if he may not be as big as most were hoping for but this is Lego after all. I'm not sure why all the characters were given new printing though. I did watch The Desolation of Smaug a couple months ago but I can't really remember the attire for all thirteen dwarves if and when they changed clothes. Aside from Smaug and new torso printing, I wonder if the inclusion of so many bricks in sand green led to the high markup which quite frankly is ludicrous. The Battle of Helm's Deep was an awesome deal for the same price at retail but almost all those parts were in gray one way or another.

In any case, if I can get myself the final two dwarves missing from my collection of Oin and Gloin, I'll be a happy hobbit. :)

The Dragon makes it worthwhile to me.  $130 is a fair price with that awesome maxifigure IMO.  Sometimes piece count doesn't apply.

Exact my thoughts Ed. The pricing of this set 100% supports that it's not the element count but the element types used. Between the license, minifigs, and Smaug, we are lucky it isn't priced higher. I do fear this set will not sell many at or near retail price (like the 10227 B-Wing). My guess is this set will have a shorter retail life or sit in shelves until heavily discounted.

Anyone know if the set will be an exclusive or available at all retailers?

How do you price most SW UCS and sets like Tower Bride and VW T1?

I dont those are UCS :)

If build is display unworthy the price per minifig is the 1st thing I look for.... the third is colors or parts and parts themselves then its PPP :P

For example Gobling King battle and Mines of Moria = this set same style etc. 

Contrary to everyone else's opinion, I think this is an exceptional set and Smaug is awesome. It's a LEGO figure, how nasty can it be? The set also looks like it has some unique pieces and colors, so that is a plus. Most of all, this set will be highly discounted at some point. Like I said previously, the Dragon makes this set and I view it the same way as I view the Rancor and Dino sets...which makes it a winner in my estimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

You can do whatever you want. A set like this is buy it or don't. It seems to me that Lego is just wrapping up the theme. I will get it because smaug is awesome. Hopefully the box art is very good. When it goes on good clearance i'll buy a bunch for investment. Best set to get is orthanc. All these seem to slightly miss the mark.

Contrary to everyone else's opinion, I think this is an exceptional set and Smaug is awesome. It's a LEGO figure, how nasty can it be? The set also looks like it has some unique pieces and colors, so that is a plus. Most of all, this set will be highly discounted at some point. Like I said previously, the Dragon makes this set and I view it the same way as I view the Rancor and Dino sets...which makes it a winner in my estimation.

Its not a bad set.... but its awfully and I mean awfully overpriced.... this is clearly a 80-100$ set.... we will get same price as Helm's Deep in Europe so 139.99

But it's not overpriced. This set will discount down to the $80-90 range at least. If this was an exclusive, I might agree with you, but it is not and can be discounted. At around 900 pieces and that maxi figure for $80 is a nice deal. Plus the Smaug alone makes it highly collectible. There will never be another set with one.

Cheapest I ever seen Helm's Deep was 90

I agree. The combo of nice elements. Smaug, and minifigs will carry this set. It will be a winner. Just might take longer than most.

Jabbas palace was 119, but average price from retailers was 80. Most hobbit sets can be picked up at half price at some point, these sets appear to get bigger discounts than other licensed themes.

Please add the "pounds" symbols when you put figures, it will prevent guys like me to first think "where on earth does he live to get some JB palace for $80 everywhere around ?"

Please add the "pounds" symbols when you put figures, it will prevent guys like me to first think "where on earth does he live to get some JB palace for $80 everywhere around ?"

I'm pretty sure that Jabba's Palace was marked down to the low-$80's for a while here in the US. There was plenty of time for people to grab the set for a low price. 

It doesn't matter what the MSRP is, it's what you pay for it.  There are many exclusive sets that won't sniff a discount.  This set will, so you have to base your investment strategy off of what you do pay.  LEGO adds some fluff on purpose so retailers can look like heroes and discount some sets.  I just wonder why you always argue about investing in a set when you don't invest?  

Ofc I invest... Im about to pick Orthanc x2 in 14 days when I leave for LEGO store trip .....

I just happen to do it on a far smaller number than you..... :)

If I had to chose if a set would be:

$119 MSRP and can sometimes be found in some retailers at $89

or

$89 MSRP and no discount on this set

as an investor I would prefer the first choice (we are talking about the same set of course), because as soon as it's retired, I will only consider the MSRP (the price I bought sets are not the buyers problem, it's mine).

Of course it's always offer and demand, but certainly the initial MSRP helps to justify the price you resell sets.

I'm pretty sure that Jabba's Palace was marked down to the low-$80's for a while here in the US. There was plenty of time for people to grab the set for a low price. 

US prices are certainly not EU prices. Here you had to be lucky to get some less than 95 euros, whatever the date (I let you convert and have some shivers)

From an investment POV you are correct.  This set will probably not sell well and may be heavily discounted this post-Christmas.  I also doubt it will be widely carried in-store at places like Target which will make finding clearance deals on it difficult.  

I personally think it's a lackluster set.  Unless you are a Hobbit fan it is rather nondescript with only the dragon being recognizable.  Basically it's a nice parts pack on clearance.  The Smaug itself isn't that impressive when you look at it being a molded toy and not a build able object.  Lego could have given us something specially with a giant brick built Smaug.  They instead gave us a glorified minifgure aimed at the collectors market.

Seeing some closer photos is definitely softening my position on this set. I'll be checking out a video review when one becomes available. They should totally offer that base as a two sided playmat. One side with the gold and the other for the battle of the five armies would add playability to this last wave. Doubtful it will happen though.