The Hobbit 2014

I like everything about this set aside from the left side, the "mine" portion of the main build. If the set had focused more on the throne and beefed it up a bit, maybe adding a long raised walkway or something and i'd be more inclined to get it.

As it stands though it doesn't look all that great to display, certainly looks like a fun "play-set" though.

I have to say the dragon doesn't look that bad to me, there were some rumours they'd use the same one as in the castle theme set and this one does look better imo. The structure itself doesn't look very challenging as a build, but I do like the color scheme with the touches of gold.

If the report on pricepoint $130 for a 866 piece set is true though, that would be quite a ripoff. Let alone for what they would charge in Europe (usually +20% for licensed themes)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

Kind of disappointed, but not that much because I expected the set to look like this.  Smaug is too small, I thought perhaps they'd make it a little bigger than the dragon in the 2013 castle line, but it looks to be about the same size.  The sand green bricks are nice to see.

I'm glad they fixed the dragon so that it's not breathing fire out of it's chin.

I think the set looks great.  But, I agree, the $130 price tag seems to high.  That being said, have we ever had an idividual Lego character as big as Smaug?  I'm not a long-time Lego vet, so I'm sincerely asking.  The price tage could make Smaug himself a very, very nice long-term investment if you can get the set at Amazon's eventual massive discount.  Clearly, this is the only set he will ever be available in.  I could see him hitting $50 easily, and post retirement, even more.  Maybe I'm way off.

Don't see anything special to this to make me buy it for personal collection.

Dragon doesn't look like anything special or amazing to me - reminded me of the Megabloks dragons range at first glance, which it really should not.

I actually thought the same thing when I saw it lol because I collected those as a kid

This actually looks pretty disappointing. The minifigs included are a pretty bad choice also IMO. I like the miss green and the gold. Very cool colors. Just a boring looking set design. And as everyone has already mentioned, insanely overpriced, even with Smaug. Hopefully the other 3 sets are more promising than this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

For me this is one set that I will never buy unless it is at least 50% of retail price, Even then I may not even bother. I didn't buy the Lake Town Chase when it was discounted to 1/2 price. LEGO seriously need to wise up. These prices are criminally insane. 

For me this is one set that I will never buy unless it is at least 50% of retail price, Even then I may not even bother. I didn't buy the Lake Town Chase when it was discounted to 1/2 price. LEGO seriously need to wise up. These prices are criminally insane. 

You better get used to these prices.  They don't seem to bother LEGO's bottom line at all.  Also, these high prices keep the secondary LEGO market's prices high as well.

Anyone else think this will drive up the value of 70403 Dragon Mountain? I can see adult completionists buying this set, but parents may look for a cheaper alternative. This is the first Hobbit/LOTR set I will not getting for my 7 year old, and I've purchased every set except for Orthanc(will before it retires) so far. Unless I find it at 50% off of course, but that is by no means a given.

Smaug looks alright, but he didn't give me the "wow" that I was hoping for once they finally released the images.

The rest of the set is a mess. It looks like MoM and Goblin King mixed together. 

Where is the giant gold statue? How about the big furnace or the gate that Smaug crashes through?

I feel like Lego has really dropped the brick on The Hobbit sets (79003 aside). 

Lego needs to finish releasing all these silly Hobbit sets and go back to making LOTR ones. 

Those were all pretty solid in my opinion. 

Compared to the castle dragon Smaug is clearly much bigger, making him the biggest lego dragon as it should be. And I like the sand green/gold.

That said it could have been much better for that price. Some hope remains as the left structure is bit cut of in the picture.