The Hobbit 2014

• 2 weeks later...

79018: 858pcs for 129.99$, age 8+

Well, with so few pieces and a so low bottom age limit, I can guess it's smaug's cave with an alternate version of the Castle's Dragon (set 70403) and a huge crossbow. I really hope I'm wrong. :cry:

I did hear that the Smaug included with the set looks very similar to the dragon in Dragon Mountain. I also heard one of these sets will include the former GameStop exclusive Elrond, the Witch King I think, and possibly another Nazgul.

Oh, so it may be a scene from the third movie ?

Maybe it will not be a cave afterall (a big cave with traps and a ton of coins would have been cool but it's very easy to MOC with tons of cheap gray bricks).

The Hobbit's sets are generally 8/12 and TLOR 9/14, so with the 8+ it confirms that we will have something more like The Goblin King Battle than  Helm's Deep.

I can't wait to see this new wave ! :frantics:(I love this smiley ^^)

• 4 months later...

That Smaug doesn't look golden, impenetrable, magnificent, terrible, dreadful, tremendous, mighty, or the greatest of calamities. Looks more like the size of one of the Nazgul beasts. I got to be honest, for the price it very much underwhelms.  Bump it up to 179.00 and 1400 pieces,  give me a Smaug at least 1/3 bigger and instead of two random sets....give me a version of the Great Hall of The Lonely Mountain (complete with big dwarf statue).

That being said, one the great things about LEGO is the ability to mod, expand and add to it........so that'll be a nice Christmas time expansion project. ( I just hope their initial design of Smaug gives room for logical expansion). 

• Like 1

Pretty happy with that Smaug. The set does remind me of the Mines of Moria set a lot though. 

My thoughts exactly. It's ridiculous that this set ends up being $130. Helm's deep was the same price with 500 more pieces and looked way better than this. Hell, it's only $70 more for the Tower of Orthanc which has 1500 more pieces, Grima and Treebeard! It almost makes the Mines of Moria look like a bargain at 776 pieces and 9 minifigures. I'd rather save $100 and give my son the Dragon from 70403. He already has variants of these minifigures anyway. Hopefully the other sets will provide better value.

Also, why are Fili and Kili in this set? In the movie they were left at lake-town while the other dwarves battled Smaug. 

• Like 2

Smaug is a bit small, and I half expected Lego to take an approach similar to what they did with the Boga in SW with a brick built midsection, and I think that would have been a better approach. The wings are great, so no arguements there. Overall, the set will have to be discounted massively for me to buy it. $130 and 866 pieces? Ha! I'll wait until it's $100 or less. To be honest, I think LEGO could have at least tried to add some more pieces by throwing in some gold coins or something to up the piece count.

I don't think it is final (being hopeful).  A drastically improved dragon will be needed, or this set has Goblin King Battle written all over it.  I can already see it hitting 70 or less, even on Amazon, during the holiday season around 2015.

If those pictures are out then it is final. Usually ones not completed have stand in figures.

• Like 1