The Hobbit 2014

I don't know who is to blame but they really need some damn LOTR / Hobbit battlepacks. Those things would sell pretty damn well. A pack of uruk-hai / orcs / elves / riders of rohan....

Blame the lawyers.  Licensing from other brands that make LotR mercandise are going to give Lego the no-go on having battle pack type sets that are figure heavy.  I think we all agree that a Rohan or Gondor battle pack would sell like hotcakes, but I don't think we are going to see it.  Uruk-Hai Army set is the closest we will get to it, probably, which isn't a bad thing, that is/was a great set.  If you could find it cheap enough, you got 6 figures for about $20.

Edit:  Beartrapper ninja'd me

AFAIK the battle pack offering is limited to Star-Wars, I believe its a licensing deal. I think the closest thing we've gotten outside of SW for other licensed themes is the LOTR UH Army set. While not a $12.99 Battle pack, its was sort of close.

I guess I should be happy that Star Wars has battle packs for cheap figures!

Blame the lawyers.  Licensing from other brands that make LotR mercandise are going to give Lego the no-go on having battle pack type sets that are figure heavy.  I think we all agree that a Rohan or Gondor battle pack would sell like hotcakes, but I don't think we are going to see it.  Uruk-Hai Army set is the closest we will get to it, probably, which isn't a bad thing, that is/was a great set.  If you could find it cheap enough, you got 6 figures for about $20.

Edit:  Beartrapper ninja'd me

Yeah, so far I've bought 3 uruk-hai sets. I should have bought all the ones I saw at kmart when I was still in the dark ages. It was marked down to $11 so I bought one...

TRU has 79013 for sale now

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29005356&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

This set gives me the vibe of the fishing village equivalent of MVR (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7189-1).  It needs more than 1 fish though..

Plus, why can't they just give us proper blue base plate instead of 6 2x12 ?  The setting is supposed to be a lake, correct ?

I went to TRU today to see if Lake Town Chase was stocked and lo and behold, there it was! So, I went to the front to check out, and the cashier said I couldn't buy it! Dumbfounded, I asked her why and she said she couldn't sell any of these sets until December 1. I asked her why they were on the shelf with the other two Hobbit sets from wave 2, and she said it was a mistake they were even on the shelves. In shock, I left with nothing.

What kind of store stocks their shelves with merchandise they won't sell you?

Big box retail at its finest :P

I went to TRU today to see if Lake Town Chase was stocked and lo and behold, there it was! So, I went to the front to check out, and the cashier said I couldn't buy it! Dumbfounded, I asked her why and she said she couldn't sell any of these sets until December 1. I asked her why they were on the shelf with the other two Hobbit sets from wave 2, and she said it was a mistake they were even on the shelves. In shock, I left with nothing.

• Like 1

There was an ad in the instructions of the AUJ sets for the next LOTR line. I'll try to find a picture.

EDIT: here, page 79: http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/6044175.pdf

Thanks neat. I didn't know about that. Is the asking price on the eBay listing reasonable? Thinking about it if I can't get them at the store yet. What does everyone else think? 

The same kind of store that jacks up their prices insanely so parents can brag about getting an item on "sale" for at or above MSRP.  I would have been so pissed.  I normally try to avoid TRU.  It's the exclusives and the fact that they consistently put something out that shouldn't be there that draws me in. 

Those are some good prices! The Canadian ones shouldn`t be to bad if they are based on what is here. Great minifigures all around, but still not big on the sets even seeing the final images again. Other then Lake Town. That one is a must  :thumbsup:

Got to love TRU  :mosking:

I hope those retails stick cause they are very good for what you are getting.

Elf Army - $30 / Lake Town Chase - $50 / Dol Guldur Battle - $70

Now I feel really bad for anyone who paid a couple thousand for the Azog minifigure while here I can get all three sets (with parts) for $150. :mosking:

I agree about the prices.  I was surprised there were only 4 sets with a total combined retail price around $170.  The first wave 6 sets at around $300. Any chance they are keeping LEGO store exclusive under wraps?

To add, I just found the Target listing for Dol Guldur Ambush (the smallest set) but it has the wrong image showing! :frantics: Instead there is Furty from Legends of Chima doing a Swamp Jump. Okay, Target may not have these in store yet (although the listing says "Available in stores" for some reason) but how can they have correct images for the other three but not this one? :scratchhead: I guess three out of four ain't bad. Ha.

To add, I just found the Target listing for Dol Guldur Ambush (the smallest set) but it has the wrong image showing! :frantics: Instead there is Furty from Legends of Chima doing a Swamp Jump. Okay, Target may not have these in store yet (although the listing says "Available in stores" for some reason) but how can they have correct images for the other three but not this one? :scratchhead: I guess three out of four ain't bad. Ha.

I wonder what they are going to clearance to make room for these and the new ninjago.

Aha! Same thing happened to me at a Kmart with the monster high Cat Noir doll. I found it in the toy aisle a few weeks ahead of its scheduled launch. Took it to the register and it wouldnt scan. Manager said she couldnt sell it to me but she would set it aside and she would call me when i could come get it. Took my number and everything. Well, everything except ever actually call me! No biggie. I was only interested in it to flip it on ebay to those people who will pay anything to have something first. Gotta love those people!

I agree about the prices. I was surprised there were only 4 sets with a total combined retail price around $170. The first wave 6 sets at around $300. Any chance they are keeping LEGO store exclusive under wraps?

Others may not agree but I like small waves such as this as they don't kill my wallet in one go! Haha. If there is a chance of some kind of exclusive, it must be very hidden same as Orthanc was to where we won't see anything for the actual thing until it is ready for market.

I wonder what they are going to clearance to make room for these and the new ninjago.

That's a good question. I can only speculate whatever first wave stuff for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit is still left on shelves and maybe second wave Lord of the Rings stuff. We also have more Legends of Chima, City, Star Wars, Creator, and TMNT stuff on the way too. Lone Ranger and Castle has nothing new being added so those could be good contenders.

That's a good question. I can only speculate whatever first wave stuff for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit is still left on shelves and maybe second wave Lord of the Rings stuff. We also have more Legends of Chima, City, Star Wars, Creator, and TMNT stuff on the way too. Lone Ranger and Castle has nothing new being added so those could be good contenders.

The new hobbit line is the only one I see on target.com though.  It would make sense to bring those out before the movie the sets are portraying.  They have been having the LOTR wave 2 sets on sale recently.  I think Lone Ranger is a good bet too.