The Hobbit 2014

How about the word "castle", "police", or "fire"? I'm sure those are all way overused in LEGO...  :thumbsup:

Those are overused a little too much. Just once I would like to see a "Flaming Highspeed Vehicle" for the firefighters and a "Crook Snatcher Pickup" for the cops. ;) Perhaps instead of castle they could use fort or rampart or even acropolis.

It is a bit odd for it to happen in a licensed theme, but then we take a look at SW, and half of the sets have "starfighter" or "tank" or something along those lines...

Ha, I've lost track of all the starfighter this and that. I get about five pages on Bricker using the term "starfighter". :wacko:

As someone that has invested pretty heavily into the LotR and Hobbit lines so far, I just don't see a lot of positive from this wave outside of the figures.  The Dol Guldur sets are grey walls, the Elf Army is a tan wall.  Lake Town is pretty cool, I guess, but this wave seems so uninspired.  I really hope that Lego doesn't use a D2C exclusive slot on Smaug, that should be something along the lines of a Rivendell/Minas Tirith set.  I'm sure we'll get him, I just hope he's in a smaller set, like the $79.99 slot.

I was really excited for this next wave, and am pretty let down.  I know Lego can only do so much with what they are given as far as the settings in the movie, but a wall with some figures doesn't excite me too much unless it's a very small set with great army builder figures. 

As someone that has invested pretty heavily into the LotR and Hobbit lines so far, I just don't see a lot of positive from this wave outside of the figures.  The Dol Guldur sets are grey walls, the Elf Army is a tan wall.  Lake Town is pretty cool, I guess, but this wave seems so uninspired.  I really hope that Lego doesn't use a D2C exclusive slot on Smaug, that should be something along the lines of a Rivendell/Minas Tirith set.  I'm sure we'll get him, I just hope he's in a smaller set, like the $79.99 slot.

I was really excited for this next wave, and am pretty let down.  I know Lego can only do so much with what they are given as far as the settings in the movie, but a wall with some figures doesn't excite me too much unless it's a very small set with great army builder figures. 

Must say I entirely agree with you....

It might just happen that I will simply Bricklink Radagast and a few Orc Shoulderpads and leave the wave alone lol

It`s really quite disappointing. Lake Town looks excellent, the rest in terms of sets are terrible. Terrible! Solid mini figures, but those sets... :resent:

Awesome stuff as always! 
I am not a big fan of these "half sets" though, that are designed to join up to others. It is getting a bit out of control.

I don`t understand that premise at all. Helms Deep and UH worked well, but those were decent sets. These look chopped up from something that was supposed to be very good. The only partial redemption for whomever designed these are those minifigures, which are very nice  :D

It`s really quite disappointing. Lake Town looks excellent, the rest in terms of sets are terrible. Terrible! Solid mini figures, but those sets... :resent:

I don`t understand that premise at all. Helms Deep and UH worked well, but those were decent sets. These look chopped up from something that was supposed to be very good. The only partial redemption for whomever designed these are those minifigures, which are very nice  :D

It was certainly different with those sets. This is just tacking 2 of the same set together which seems pointless unless you are making nothing more than a long wall. The figures are awesome!

You the man, GRogall! Thank you for the HD pics. :thumbsup:

I am not a big fan of these "half sets" though, that are designed to join up to others. It is getting a bit out of control.

I'm a fan when you have different sets designed well by themselves but then look even better attached to another same as the modular houses. Also it is so much easier for people like me to buy a couple of smaller split up sets separately instead of needing to buy a single large one with everything at once. To reiterate, I do like sets connecting with one another but only when they are good standalone designs as is. When you have ones where they look bad unless everything is there, that is not good in my opinion. :hmm:

Helms Deep was a great one. These ones it seems more of a poor imitation.

People will buy it for the minifigs anyway

Yes, Helm's Deep is a grand fortress wall and Uruk-hai Army was a nice little extension for that plus looked good by itself. Dol Guldur Battle appears okay as is but Dol Guldur Ambush just seems so haphazardly designed and pointless aside from needing a 'filler' set. Of course I'll still buy all of them. Great characters and many usefull parts. Between Battle at Helm's Deep, Uruk-hai Army, Dol Guldur Battle & Ambush, I'm going to have one heck of a castle with a large rampart! :D

Guest eightbrick

Yes, Helm's Deep is a grand fortress wall and Uruk-hai Army was a nice little extension for that plus looked good by itself. Dol Guldur Battle appears okay as is but Dol Guldur Ambush just seems so haphazardly designed and pointless aside from needing a 'filler' set. Of course I'll still buy all of them. Great characters and many usefull parts. Between Battle at Helm's Deep, Uruk-hai Army, Dol Guldur Battle & Ambush, I'm going to have one heck of a castle with a large rampart! :D

Yeah I agree the Dol Guldur sets (both of them) seem pretty bland. Excellent part packs, though (all those DBG slopes :D ) I guess you could use the slopes to make the mountain that Helm's Deep backs onto if you don't like them. Personally, I love the Tolkien themes but I think they have had way to many rocky/underground/ruins sets. With Orc Forge it was new, refreshing, and interesting. Then came Goblin King Battle, Riddles for the Ring, and now Dol Guldur Battle and Dol Guldur ambush. It's just too much, especially when they've left out quite a bit in LOTR and some scenes in the Hobbit.

• 3 weeks later...