What Lego set did you buy today?

Guest TabbyBoy
21 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

Argos had Scooby Doo Mystery Machine (£29.99) and JW Dilophosaurus Ambush (also £29.99) back online today. Managed to get 2 of each. Anyone else manage to get any?

Argos? I don't think these MMs will be a wise investment due to potentially poor box condition and the high chance of them being returns which may have been opened. Are you sure that you'll make anything after a buy-in of RRP or are you not selling these? I bought my MMs at Asda for £20 and I grudge paying any more than that even if they do become available again. But that's just me ;-)

12 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Argos? I don't think these MMs will be a wise investment due to potentially poor box condition and the high chance of them being returns which may have been opened. Are you sure that you'll make anything after a buy-in of RRP or are you not selling these? I bought my MMs at Asda for £20 and I grudge paying any more than that even if they do become available again. But that's just me ;-)

If I don't like the box, they will go back - simple. I cannot tun the clock back either so I am very pleased at £90 buy-in for the three sets (1 to keep, three to sell in due course). Assuming the boxes are fine, can you show me a better Lego buy this week without travelling? JW sets are performing very well at the moment. 

Edited by Villager Chris

1 hour ago, TigerEyez said:

When I buy bulk lots of assembled or semi-assembled sets I break them down, inventory, re-build, photograph, and then I break them down into bags numbered based on the instructions (like when new) {this is a PITA I wouldn't recommend the numbered bags}. I also replace any missing pieces of course. 

It really comes down to your desire and your available time.  Here are my usual options:

* Often when I get a bulk lot its in pieces, so I wash, sort, inventory, order parts, assemble, photograph and list.  And don't forget to order instructions - They're relatively inexpensive and you'll attract a LOT more buyers.  Depending on the set I'll leave it up to the buyer if they want it disassembled and color sorted, and I'll mention that in the listing.  I don't mind spending an hour to break down a $400 set that I bought for <$100.

* If a set 'looks' 100% complete and is clean I'll go through the instructions and see if it looks like its all there, check the minifigs and list it '~98% complete'  for a 5-10% discount vs. a 100% complete set.  This is purely to manage my time investment.  On a $100 set, is it worth 4+ hours to make $10?  And I love building huge sets, but I just listed my 4th 6211 in 4 months:P (buy-in $10+15 in parts, list for $170) so I'd rather spend time building a set I haven't done before.  Although I really like building the MTT:)  (buy-ins $20-60, sold for $165-185)  And right now I'm backed up with 30+ $100 sets to process.

* When I'm backed up I'll list the sets on Bricklink before building.  Buyers there respect the word "inventoried" and don't have to see a completed picture to hit the buy button.  Last set I sold there in parts was 7783 The Batcave - Penguin and Mr. Freeze Invasion.  Buy-in $25, sold for $325.

...Oh yeah, since this is the What Did You Buy forum, my latest project is breaking down a 10188 Death Star (all 3697 parts and 24 minifigs) from a 110+ lb lot on Craigslist.  This I will list as '100% complete, color-sorted parts' for a month, then build if it does not sell.  Buy-in ~$30 + $10 in parts, will list for $280.

ds1.jpg

ds2.jpg

WP_20160917_10_57_02_Pro.jpg

Edited by FM
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

Been a while since I posted.  Life has gotten busy and I am on the road less, so I have less free time... as strange as that may sound.  

Either way, technically didn't buy it today, But my parents are selling their house and I was cleaning out some old stuff and look what I found with my beanie babies and baseball cards.

IMG_6317.JPG

This is the same set that pulled me out of the Dark Ages in 2010.  Great build.  Classic.  I still have mine as well.  It has a Hills price tag on it.  (ohio)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimmit said:

Been a while since I posted.  Life has gotten busy and I am on the road less, so I have less free time... as strange as that may sound.  

Either way, technically didn't buy it today, But my parents are selling their house and I was cleaning out some old stuff and look what I found with my beanie babies and baseball cards.

IMG_6317.JPG

How much is on the price tag? Just curious what the PPP ratio was back in the day. It looks like you took great care with your sets as well. That box is pristine for it's age. Nice find!

T Rex Tracker 75918 - 59.28 after 15% off code and discount gift cards at TRU

Dilophosaurus Ambush 75916 - 23.53 after 30% off code and discount gift cards at TRU

About 37% off TRU markup, 23% off RRP.

You were able to get this in-store?

Edit: sorry I was thinking about the 30% off they were doing online for JW stuff

ordered 5 mining trucks(42035) for $22 each after SYW points. not sure what will show up, but had luck with a pair of fire planes (42040) from kmart last week.

also had a pair of crawler cranes (42042) from TRU show up minty. glad they are finally disappearing...

x9 so far for $9.40 each after discounted GC, $15/45 and $15/40 coupons. Plus around $13 back in points combined (With $6.25 not posted :( )

58cb68c0a2802_ScreenShot2017-03-16at9_39_33PM.png.80d2cd3a6af9957019b5b6b408a62ae6.png

Fresh out of coupons sadly. Gonna have to go back to my old $10/50 and $5back/25 gravy train. Lots of stuff to pick up at my store this weekend! :D

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jay4e said:

ordered 5 mining trucks(42035) for $22 each after SYW points. not sure what will show up, but had luck with a pair of fire planes (42040) from kmart last week.

also had a pair of crawler cranes (42042) from TRU show up minty. glad they are finally disappearing...

and they are back for shipping...

Edited by jay4e

9 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

Walgreens has Star Wars Rogue One constraction figured on clearance for random prices at each store. One store had 9 marked at $12.99 and I was able to talk him down to $7.00 each. Not the biggest fan of these figures but at $7 it's a no brainer 56f7ab5300c9fd67fe6f74cf1f75343c.jpg

What state are you in if you don't mind me asking? 

And, how are you able to talk him down to $7 each? I've never tried that with a manager. 

Edited by legodelorean