What Lego set did you buy today?

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Ok which one of you (in other videos he references Brickpicker often) has a paid group focusing on 3 sets and is taking a HELOC to buy them. He kinda looks like a pharmacist ;)  

Lol, this guy tilts me so hard(but he seems like a super nice guy). I'm a sucker for anything LEGO investment-related, so I think I've watched all of his videos.

He did say retiring 2020, but was available in January, so I'd guess Zombie Cave for the $16.99, no clue on the others.

5 minutes ago, Jessekidd13 said:

Lol, this guy tilts me so hard(but he seems like a super nice guy). I'm a sucker for anything LEGO investment-related, so I think I've watched all of his videos.

He did say retiring 2020, but was available in January, so I'd guess Zombie Cave for the $16.99, no clue on the others.

How does one go about purchasing 300 of one set? It ain't happening at Wal-Mart with a 2-at-a-time limit. Amazon with 10 orders of 30 each when allowed? I feel good if I can amass 100 of one set.

2 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

How does one go about purchasing 300 of one set? It ain't happening at Wal-Mart with a 2-at-a-time limit. Amazon with 10 orders of 30 each when allowed? I feel good if I can amass 100 of one set.

This only happened to me once but I will tell you how I did it.  I was looking for a high quantity of some small sets and a 3rd party seller had 70606 for sale at the same price as amazon $4.99 plus $5 shipping.  Well I figured out that they combined shipping.  I ended up buying 100 of them for $500 and $42 shipping which at that point was almost nothing.  If I had more to spend at the time I would have but that was at the upper level of my buying power at the time.  I think West End Toys have since corrected their shipping to not combine quite so nicely, or at least don't sell that low anymore.

I'd bet he did a lot of in store buying to do this.

22 hours ago, cladner said:

creeper mine, pirate ship, wool farm?

Wrong!

21 hours ago, Jessekidd13 said:

Tilts me? What does that mean?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Wrong!

I am thinking similar to “tilt” a pinball machine?

so it’s you kinda makes sense the guy loves archetecture and going deep on specific sets. 

Steve Vs Jim live in different states so?

I have a similar lego store “ban” story but mine was for the Tumbler guess the joke was on me. 

Edited by Pseudoty

2 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

My guess for $79.99 would have been in this order 1) Creeper Mine, 2) 71721 Dragon, or 3) Baby Yoda (seems to be all-in on Mandalorian BHZ, although a $240 price point would seem like a reach for that this year).

Why is there so many Baby Yoda guesses? Lol. Star Wars is one of my least favorite themes & I have Disney+ and haven't watched a single episode.

3 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Wrong!

Tilt is a poker reference. When someone has had a run of bad luck/bad beats, then starts playing looser/different/frustratedly - They are said to be "On Tilt" because their normal strategy has been impacted by the results of the game and they aren't playing their normal game.

In terms of this guy from the video, I will be very interested to see the follow up 6 months from now. I am not saying it never happens, but I can count very few sets that basically triple MSRP in 6 months from retirement. Even most of my absolute best performers needed at least a year/year and a half to get to that point.

Maybe I've been doing this all wrong all these years...

4 hours ago, Achilles said:

Tilt is a poker reference. When someone has had a run of bad luck/bad beats, then starts playing looser/different/frustratedly - They are said to be "On Tilt" because their normal strategy has been impacted by the results of the game and they aren't playing their normal game.

In terms of this guy from the video, I will be very interested to see the follow up 6 months from now. I am not saying it never happens, but I can count very few sets that basically triple MSRP in 6 months from retirement. Even most of my absolute best performers needed at least a year/year and a half to get to that point.

Maybe I've been doing this all wrong all these years...

I was really confused by the tilt reference too.  I figured I was just too old to get it.  The only set I can see for sure going from $80 to $240 would be 80104 because they look great and are pretty limited.  Seems that most people find out they exist after they retire.  That being said this late in the game they were starting to get to be hard to find, even around Christmas time.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 12:42 PM, keymomachine said:

Just bought this off Facebook Marketplace. New and sealed for $100.

It was about an hour each way to go get it so before I left my wife asked me about the hourly rate for the drive based on what it's worth - "at least $100" That seemed like a good enough answer for her. I wish I had done a bit more Walmart scouting before leaving, as the two I visited had basically nothing and I had to pass one up that had some potential because the snow had started falling. 

Three GWP and the castle coin with today's purchase (2 x Hedwig). Thinking of placing another HP order to get the three GWP's and the pirates coin. Going back and forth between Clock Tower and Astronomy Tower. Any thoughts on which set will do better in the long run?  Leaning towards Clock Tower as it seems to have cooler figs (Dumbledore in party robe). 

hedwig.jpg

Edited by oneknightr

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Three GWP and the castle coin with today's purchase (2 x Hedwig). Thinking of placing another HP order to get the three GWP's and the pirates coin. Going back and forth between Clock Tower and Astronomy Tower. Any thoughts on which set will do better in the long run?  Leaning towards Clock Tower as it seems to have cooler figs (Dumbledore in party robe). 

hedwig.jpg

Clock Tower "should" retire a year sooner; also all the holiday advent calendar builds are tailor made for the Clock Tower Winter ball theme.

• Thanks 1

I bought 5 Lord of the Ring sets (used) Offerup: $500
  • Tower of Orthanc
  • Helms Deep
  • Mines of Moria
  • Battle at the Black Gate
  • Ship Ambush
I know the price ain't great but it was a chance at getting pretty much all the LotR sets I wanted in one swoop. Condition looks great from an adult collector.  This series has really taken off in the past year or so. I would say in general prices have almost doubled in the the last 1.5 years.  This is my 2nd Tower of Orthanc so I will flip it to recoup some costs.

Interesting. Recently I bought a lot of completed LOTR 947x sets and tower of Orthan, plus the goblin king for $350. Maybe I’ll flip it.
As well just before holidays bought a NISB dol guldur battle for $70 and ended up flipping for $200.