What Lego set did you buy today?

3 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

like Trump saying he will (eventually) be proven right that COvid-19 will "disappear"...sure...pay ANY price and EVENTUALLY it will prove to be "right"...

that said, one great example would be the Architecture Capital Building.  RRP was $99. It hit main stream discount at $50 at Target (limit 5)...which lasted a few hours for some in the US.  I have also seen it for $89 shipped on Ebay (all pre-retirement).

Since retirement it's been $159-$179 

Would any of those buy-in be "right"; heck yeah...but some more than others...but I rather have gotten 100 at $99 then just 5 at $50. 

When it comes to reselling LEGO the rule is there's no rule

Well I wasn't going to chime in anymore about RRPs but since the Capital was mentioned there was a time when I was a young green reseller & I used to puff my chest and say that I would never pay RRP for a set. Those times have changed. Now that doesn't mean I'll pay RRP on just any set. It really all depends. Anyone who wouldn't pick up a Capital in February at RRP is just stubborn. 

I think back to when Saturn Vs came out. I personally know people who got their hands on 300 units when they were sold out & flipped them at a $50 profit to make a quick $15k. Then they put 100% of that cash back into Saturn Vs & are now selling on Amazon right now. Was that a bad move?

Most of the time I worry about ROI but there are times when there may be a better strategy.

6 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I gotta wonder...will the prices that are being "set" in 2020 hold?

I've gotten used to checking both pre-Covid and DUring Covid prices on Bricklink just to get a handle on "old Price" , "CV Price", and "Who Knows Price"

Lol, no. This is a protracted period of those who have supply can command a premium until production catches up. Case in point, you could have sold HP 75954  Great Halls for $180 on eBay two months ago, now you'd get $80 and eat shipping. 

I bought a few 21047 Vegas sets today.   Could only get a 10% discount, but I have rarely seen them outside of SAH.     Hope this set does go EOL this year.     

The London and Trafalgar Squares I bought will have to hold onto longer than I thought....

8 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

like Trump saying he will (eventually) be proven right that COvid-19 will "disappear"...sure...pay ANY price and EVENTUALLY it will prove to be "right"...

that said, one great example would be the Architecture Capital Building.  RRP was $99. It hit main stream discount at $50 at Target (limit 5)...which lasted a few hours for some in the US.  I have also seen it for $89 shipped on Ebay (all pre-retirement).

Since retirement it's been $159-$179 

Would any of those buy-in be "right"; heck yeah...but some more than others...but I rather have gotten 100 at $99 then just 5 at $50. 

When it comes to reselling LEGO the rule is there's no rule

The rules have to be adapted to your local market as well, swiss rrp can be 30% higher than the us. Germany and UK have much lower rrps so I tend to buy from there, a 30% discount gets me to 50% off swiss rrp. I think in the case of capitol building it is easy to see that buying at rrp would have worked out since prices are already up, if at the point of buying in if there is little indication as to what will happen in 6 months then buying at a discount would have provided a larger margin for error. Capitol buildings in the european environment would not have done as well as in the us too unlike the louvre or tower eiffel....

Having said that about a month and a half ago I did buy a bunch of carousels at rrp.

55 minutes ago, coelian said:

Having said that about a month and a half ago I did buy a bunch of carousels at rrp.

this is my point, people just saying don't buy in at RRP is just a plain lazy way of thinking, sure am i going to buy 200 x 60203's no, would i buy 200 x diners or certain other sets, if had the cash, yes i would,yes it gives you less profit yes, yes you might have to wait a little longer for that profit, & yes it gives you less margin for error, but that's the game.

also saying pass on lego vegas at RRP for example, lowest its been all year is £29.99 on amazon etc, am i going to pass on what i think will be a winner over £5, now we know its most likely to retire. lol a big no, no 

Edited by joneyyy1981

11 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I gotta wonder...will the prices that are being "set" in 2020 hold?

I've gotten used to checking both pre-Covid and DUring Covid prices on Bricklink just to get a handle on "old Price" , "CV Price", and "Who Knows Price"

One effect of Covid that cannot be undone will be all those UNSEALED sets....I own a large music school and watched our kids go through set after set.  If you assume Covid quartatines vs investors created the price change, then it sagoes to say a ton of sealed sets have been taken out of the market

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Banjoman said:

One effect of Covid that cannot be undone will be all those UNSEALED sets....I own a large music school and watched our kids go through set after set.  If you assume Covid quartatines vs investors created the price change, then it sagoes to say a ton of sealed sets have been taken out of the market

great point. Seals cannot be unbroken ...which leads me to think there will be a lot of used sets on the market

11 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

this is my point, people just saying don't buy in at RRP is just a plain lazy way of thinking, sure am i going to buy 200 x 60203's no, would i buy 200 x diners or certain other sets, if had the cash, yes i would,yes it gives you less profit yes, yes you might have to wait a little longer for that profit, & yes it gives you less margin for error, but that's the game.

also saying pass on lego vegas at RRP for example, lowest its been all year is £29.99 on amazon etc, am i going to pass on what i think will be a winner over £5, now we know its most likely to retire. lol a big no, no 

At least you help to take care of the stock at RRP. Thanks a lot. I know why many people do not post anymore here...

13 minutes ago, joch29 said:

looks like that caused the site to crash... 

That's interesting.  Is there a trend here?

All day today, garmin.com has been down - it appears to be a ransomware attack.  The app and website are down, and apparently their overseas factories have been down for two days.

Also, fortune.com has been down all day - I was trying to find an article my boss referenced and can't get to the article link or even the main page.

Edited by rpaulson7
  • Like 1

Took a gamble with this offer from Legoland Florida: https://shop-florida.legoland.com/collections/ultimate-bundles/products/lego®-build-a-minifigure-mystery-selection:

image.thumb.png.912bf7658ae1e51eadd9ef0c074664f3.png

100 Random minifig heads
100 Random minifig torsos
100 Random minifig legs/skirts
100 Random minifig hair/hats
100 Random minifig accessories

10 TLM2 Minifig bags
10 DC Comics Minifig bags

plus 1 Storage "head".

I figured for $165 shipped I can always decide to list these out in my BL store, and pick and choose the best ones for my own collection. Keeping my fingers crossed the blind bags of minifigs have interesting figures in them, not only leftovers, but not being too optimistic there :)

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 3

Took a gamble with this offer from Legoland Florida: https://shop-florida.legoland.com/collections/ultimate-bundles/products/lego-build-a-minifigure-mystery-selection:
100 Random minifig heads
10 TLM2 Minifig bags
plus 1 Storage "head".
I figured for $165 shipped I can always decide to list these out in my BL store, and pick and choose the best ones for my own collection. Keeping my fingers crossed the blind bags of minifigs have interesting figures in them, not only leftovers, but not being too optimistic there
If you are looking for Figs for your city or collection, it's a pretty decent deal. But my son and I were giggling a little bit at their "original price".....maybe a little inflated...
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Took a gamble with this offer from Legoland Florida: https://shop-florida.legoland.com/collections/ultimate-bundles/products/lego®-build-a-minifigure-mystery-selection:

100 Random minifig heads

10 TLM2 Minifig bags

plus 1 Storage "head".

I figured for $165 shipped I can always decide to list these out in my BL store, and pick and choose the best ones for my own collection. Keeping my fingers crossed the blind bags of minifigs have interesting figures in them, not only leftovers, but not being too optimistic there :)

Thanks.  I ordered one as well.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

100 Random minifig heads

10 TLM2 Minifig bags

plus 1 Storage "head".

hopefully this is not from the batch that people at the resort go through.

Found some Brickheadz Kylo Sith Troopers and Lucky Cat in a French lego shop and took most of them. 

For pab you just tell them what you want and they will scoop it into the container for you. I asked the sales associate if I could stack them and he just gave me a couple of extra scoops into the bag. To me that's way better than wasting time stacking them. Series 20 minifigures were completely sold out and he said all they had was the DC minifigures which I wasn't interested in. 

Picked up the tie fighter helmet and brick sketches for myself along with diners and Treehouses. I was surprised to see that they had all the modulars, Harry Potter Castle and just about all of the larger sets in stock. Those are mostly sold out online. The only thing on my buy list which I couldn't get were the Chinese New year sets.