What Lego set did you buy today?

38 minutes ago, Sozial said:

Everytime I see you posting here, i get excited and rush to the thread, hoping for you to annouce 1000 pcs of a specific lego set😁

Lol. I probably dont have the resources to purchase 1000 units of a set for another 18 months unfortunately. If I could now the only sets I'd be interested in are San Francisco, Paris, or Dubai.

5 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Tip of the Day: Buy Stocks.   

This is the strongest Bull run ever. 
Even with all the uncertainties going on around the world, the market is numb to it all, as the proof for me was this quarter. I can not believe the bounce back. 
Many factors such as 0% interest rate is pushing this market to all time highs, over and over again.

And when schools dont open this fall this run will keep on going. Everyone should have the mindset that Q4 has started two minths ago. LET'S GOOOOOOOO!!!

8 minutes ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Even with all the uncertainties going on around the world, the market is numb to it all, as the proof for me was this quarter. I can not believe the bounce back. 
Many factors such as 0% interest rate is pushing this market to all time highs, over and over again.

I think the best time to buy stocks was back in March when I posted about it in these forums that I was moving Lego money that way. It's worked out pretty well! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Counterpoint - don't buy stocks. We've not begun to feel the economic sting of the pandemic, and the US seems culturally and intellectually incapable of addressing it effectively. The market will fall & fall hard sometime within the next year - better to buy after a fall then near all time highs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Counterpoint - don't buy stocks. We've not begun to feel the economic sting of the pandemic, and the US seems culturally and intellectually incapable of addressing it effectively. The market will fall & fall hard sometime within the next year - better to buy after a fall then near all time highs.

Addendum: Diversify your current assets further, especially into liquid assets. Cash remains king.  Furthermore, ignore FOMO and focus on beefing up your assets more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

I believe I am not the only one on here that is somewhat cautious about stocks. Yes, they are an "easy" way to make money (reflected after the fact), but they are inherently risky, and seem like an insiders game. I have personally had a good amount of success in stocks, but have also been burned quite a bit. With the way leveraging works, which I feel I have a small understanding on, it just seems like a risk I am extremely cautious on.

38 minutes ago, spener90 said:

I believe I am not the only one on here that is somewhat cautious about stocks. Yes, they are an "easy" way to make money (reflected after the fact), but they are inherently risky, and seem like an insiders game. I have personally had a good amount of success in stocks, but have also been burned quite a bit. With the way leveraging works, which I feel I have a small understanding on, it just seems like a risk I am extremely cautious on.

1) I agree that for most investors, especially those who don't invest for a living and those with small-to-medium portfolios, using leverage is not a prudent idea.

2) It's a good idea to invest only what you can afford to lose.  Always keep a cash cushion that can allow one to survive a market crash and at least a year of unemployment.

3) If your investment horizon is rather short, then it's best not to invest a lot in the markets.  It's a lot easier to manage a portfolio when your investment horizon is at least 5 years.

4) Tail hedges are very expensive, but could be rewarding.  I think that a less expensive way for most investor to manage tail risk is to diversify (having some fixed income ETFs / mutual funds instead of only equities)

Edited by cambridge02138

2 hours ago, HappyHawkeye said:

I agree with all of this.  While I bought individual stocks in March (for the first time in 15 years) I'm not buying now and have already sold more than half of what I bought in March.  I've held onto Amazon and UPS - online shopping is booming.

Definitely not a market expert, but totally believe this: "We've not begun to feel the economic sting of the pandemic, and the US seems culturally and intellectually incapable of addressing it."  Which is why last week I moved 50% of my stock-based mutual fund 401k money out of stocks completely and into stable value.  When the inevitable crash that's coming does happen, I'll buy back in with that 50% and smile.  I'm betting the market is much more likely to decline by 20% than increase by 20% by year end - so preserving some equity.

As heard on a Joe Rogan podcast, "the stock market is a graph of rich people's feelings." 

• Like 3

Also, you want some evidence that the stock market investor types are completely delusional? 

Carnival Cruise Lines is up 12.5% today. 

Seriously?  On what good news?  What is possibly going to be the shiny spot for the cruise industry by the end of the year?  It's based in the region of the globe that is literally out of control right now, and dependent upon a barely-surviving airline industry to get it's customers there.  High-profile mass infections and people stuck on ships for weeks - just recently!

Granted, I'd like to buy me some Carnival, if it gets down to like $5 a share.  Because Americans will likely forget all about this pandemic within about 24 months.

• Like 1

Buy ecom and tech stocks now. Q2 earnings are happening this week, which are expected to show growth above expectations. Prices will spike.

Sell at the spike before the August school openings, or convert them into bonds, when **** hits the fan.

Then buy at the dip, and hold long term.

For newbies, focus on 1 or 2 companies, and pay attention. 

You CAN buy stocks and invest in LEGO too. Diversify, diversify, diversify.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I hadn't done any day trading since the dot com bust, but got back in in March and did that until May.  Made a good chunk of change on the airlines and cinema stocks before they took a second dive.  I've been on the sidelines since writing and buying back covered calls since the volatility is commanding a premium and you can potentially pay off the buy-in price on the underlying stock in a year on some of these. 

I agree that now is not the time to buy.  FOMO is running rampant and I don't see a long-term stimulant for some of these high-flying stocks -- those aided by covid will probably revert to pre-covid sales after the pandemic so why would their valuation remain 50 to 100% higher than pre-covid prices in some cases (I'm looking at you, AMZN)?

I took most of my profits in May/June and threw them into boosting my LEGO inventory -- ironic given the brokerage accounts were loaded up with LEGO sales from the Christmas season.  Who knows, might be shifting back again if the market corrects this fall when LEGO sales pick back up for the holidays.

I went ahead and ordered a few 31097's from Costco just now to justify posting here :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dx0520 said:

For newbies, focus on 1 or 2 companies, and pay attention. 

And buy what you know.  Where do you go thats always busy? How many times a day do you see that Amazon van in your neighborhood?  That's going to tell you the companies to start looking at.

20 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

And buy what you know.  Where do you go thats always busy? How many times a day do you see that Amazon van in your neighborhood?  That's going to tell you the companies to start looking at.

Great advice. I had similar advice 19 years ago. I heard a radio show about investing that said the same thing. Buy what you know. So I looked around my advertising agency that was filled with Apple computers and I thought maybe I should buy some AAPL stock. This was pre-iPod (August 7, 2001 to be exact). My buy-in was $12K at $1.40 per share (adjusted for splits). Best advice I've ever had. Now I understand that was a once in a lifetime lucky payout but still great advice. Maybe we need an investing thread. We're WAY off topic. 

Edited by Gonkalin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Bitcoin boys, Bitcoin.

55 minutes ago, vexxet said:

made a killing buying chainlink when it was 1.30$

It's funny people on reddit would dog it and have dogged it for years solely based on the fact that it was a heavily shilled 4chan coin.  They still are bitter about it.  I mean I understand people on reddit don't like it's it's not decentralized, but who really cares when it's been my best performer.  The tribalism when it comes to people and their coins they support or hold can be a bit ridiculous online but if you can sift through the garbage on the web, you can find some useful information and find diamonds in the rough like Chainlink..

• Like 1