Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 12/8/2023 at 2:02 AM, ManAetherslime14 said:

You're right, the Minecraft theme for investing has gone downhill. The last set to do fairly well was 21163.

I'm not a Minecraft expert, but I started with buying 2 21161 (Crafting Box 3.0) and later bought some of the Modern Treehouses too. Unfortunatel missed out on 21187 The Red Barn though.

Crafting Box 4.0 is disappointing, but 21161 is doing just fine (MSRP 79.99 €, got my sets for 40% of and currently selling around 100 €.

I think the problem isn't the Minecraft theme per se, but the sets available right now. There's a reason I bought the Crafting Box 3.0 twice, it's just a good generic set, just like the Ninjago Dojo Temple.

5 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Back to out of stock on target.  

its been in and out of stock at target for weeks now. at 1 per its hard to get alot. i am surprised at this still being in stock 5 per order at lego.con. i assume everyone hoarded this, it being 1) first of the botanicals to go and 2) a target EXCLUSIVE  

7 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

its been in and out of stock at target for weeks now. at 1 per its hard to get alot. i am surprised at this still being in stock 5 per order at lego.con. i assume everyone hoarded this, it being 1) first of the botanicals to go and 2) a target EXCLUSIVE  

2) a target EXCLUSIVE  ,,,,,,,,,THIS

I'm starting to think more and more of steering clear of target exclusives thanks to ol Shane and his band of misfits/worshippers 

Really starting to wonder if he's a Target Employee/Hypeman to help them move stock

Edited by mlc3423

7 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Not being able to mass hoard its a good thing.  Personally, i think this one will do well, especially if the botanical line continues to output a few sets per year that are different from each other.

Just now, mlc3423 said:

Still Limit 5 at SAH....Go Go Go!

Managed to get one to build and one to sell from lego this morning.  I was a bit elated this one came back because i completely missed this one.

7 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

more interested in that sweet sweet mushroom blanket???

I love tropical decor and I am disappointed with this set, it looks flat, the shaping is good but the color variation is lacking. I may buy at a deep discount but it is nothing I would seek over a more appealing print of some kind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Brick said:

I love tropical decor and I am disappointed with this set, it looks flat, the shaping is good but the color variation is lacking. I may buy at a deep discount but it is nothing I would seek over a more appealing print of some kind.

i would buy the set if the shroom blanket was the gwp.

• Haha 1

it will be interesting to see the UCS Millenium Falcon retire coming up this time next year.  on the list for 12/31/24.  

I would imagine given the past performance of the previous ucs iteration, it will be heavily hoarded heading into the close.

i wonder if this should be the only set i invest in coming up this year as i begin to imagine an emazer-like long game for myself down the road a ways (lord willing of course).

Edited by cladner

6 minutes ago, cladner said:

it will be interesting to see the UCS Millenium Falcon retire coming up this time next year.  on the list for 12/31/24.  

I would imagine given the past performance of the previous ucs iteration, it will be heavily hoarded heading into the close.

i wonder if this should be the only set i invest in coming up this year as i begin to imagine an emazer-like long game for myself down the road a ways (lord willing of course).

Nice Emazer reference 😁. Whatever happened to that guy??

12 minutes ago, cladner said:

I was thinking about Ed myself the other day.....Ed and i had many conversations and he always talked negatively about buying small sets and was hellbent on only buying the higher end sets (Or at least that's what he said)

With so many people on the lego train i'm starting to wonder if it's time to start going back to that strategy until the glut of resellers goes back to where it was precovid or at least when things were more normal.....Just a thought

As far as what happened to ed the last time i talked to him he was selling everything on craigslist years ago

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cladner said:

I found it interesting that we did not really see any discounts on the UCS MILF this season that I am aware of. Last year Zavi always had a code for it between $100-$250 off and Amazon had it as a lightning deal or whatever they are called these days a Sloth deal. 

48 minutes ago, mlc3423 said:

I was thinking about Ed myself the other day.....Ed and i had many conversations and he always talked negatively about buying small sets and was hellbent on only buying the higher end sets (Or at least that's what he said)

With so many people on the lego train i'm starting to wonder if it's time to start going back to that strategy until the glut of resellers goes back to where it was precovid or at least when things were more normal.....Just a thought

As far as what happened to ed the last time i talked to him he was selling everything on craigslist years ago

Just look at this year.  Haunted House and Colosseum have seen good healthy spikes out of the gate.  You can make about 300.00 off the Colosseum right now.  It would take a lot of little sets to make up for that.  The only problem with the larger sets is having the storage space, if youre just a small timer without a warehouse and just a garage.

2 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Just look at this year.  Haunted House and Colosseum have seen good healthy spikes out of the gate.  You can make about 300.00 off the Colosseum right now.  It would take a lot of little sets to make up for that.  The only problem with the larger sets is having the storage space, if youre just a small timer without a warehouse and just a garage.

That's the boat i'm in.....I do lego mostly part time (Main thing i sell is records and baseball cards) and space is of the essence.....Looking to build a garage or pole barn next year cause i refuse to get anymore storage units....I'm sure like  most of you i dropped big $$$ on storage units for years and years

The set i wanna go deep in is Mos Eisley Cantina but i'm afraid it'll get delayed again like it did this year